Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Forum Closed  

28-02-2012, 14:21   #1
jiminho

Working Abroad Expo

Hey all,

Anyone ever been to the Working Abroad Expo at the RDS before? Is there any point in going to get information about potential job offerings or potential in my job area?
Advertisement
28-02-2012, 14:35   #2
canadia

I went to it about 2 years ago. I don't have a degree, I'm not on the skills list and I am over 30 so working/hol visa to Oz/NZ is out. I am upskilling at the mo to find my own way out of here!!
The people with stands are mostly from visa companies, you pay them to apply on your behalf. It was ok, got lots of free pens but no visa
If you're not in a trade or on skills list for canada or Oz then it'll really just be a day out - but that's just my opinion! If it's not hassle to get to you could head along just to get info on lifestyles in each country - I was thinking Oz before we went to it but changed to Canada then afterwards!
If u are on skills list for a country then head along, they will be falling over themselves to talk to you
Thanks from:
28-02-2012, 16:54   #3
tosh_2006

i was thinking about going till i seen canadia reply now i was thinking about heading to canada on the IEC 2012
28-02-2012, 18:00   #4
Coll79

^I know, i was going to go along too, way to crush the dreams canadia! Thought it was my ticket out of here.

I'm also over 30 with no specific trade as i was with the same company for over 10 years until it went tits up.

They should really just say its for out of work Tradesmen or college graduates. Depressing.
28-02-2012, 20:07   #5
jiminho

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadia View Post
I went to it about 2 years ago. I don't have a degree, I'm not on the skills list and I am over 30 so working/hol visa to Oz/NZ is out. I am upskilling at the mo to find my own way out of here!!
The people with stands are mostly from visa companies, you pay them to apply on your behalf. It was ok, got lots of free pens but no visa
If you're not in a trade or on skills list for canada or Oz then it'll really just be a day out - but that's just my opinion! If it's not hassle to get to you could head along just to get info on lifestyles in each country - I was thinking Oz before we went to it but changed to Canada then afterwards!
If u are on skills list for a country then head along, they will be falling over themselves to talk to you
Cheers canadia, think i might pop along so
Advertisement
29-02-2012, 10:14   #6
canadia

Coll & Tosh, if it's not major hassle for you to get to it then head along. I wouldn't spend money travelling across the country (like I did) to get to it. I don't want to be the dream crusher when all I do these days is dream away the Ireland blues :-)

It might help with decision making or give you an idea of what's in demand in each country and then you can spend a year to try save and upskill? That's what I'm doing at the mo, getting a qualification to match my experience, hopefully that should tie my cv together and then I'm heading off on the IEC to Canada. If nothing else, it'll be a big adventure!

If you want something you have to make it happen, where there's a will there's a way and all that
Thanks from:
29-02-2012, 10:20   #7
COYW
Closed Account

What industries are covered in it? Also, any ideas on the admission fee? I am in the software industry and although I have a job here, I would like to abroad for a while.
29-02-2012, 10:40   #8
supernova84
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by COYW View Post
What industries are covered in it? Also, any ideas on the admission fee? I am in the software industry and although I have a job here, I would like to abroad for a while.
http://www.workingabroad.net/expo/index.html
(2) thanks from:
29-02-2012, 14:08   #9
Sync

There's one in Cork next Wednesday, http://www.workingabroad.net/expo/cork.html
Advertisement
01-03-2012, 10:41   #10
earpul80

Work Abroad Expo

Go to the expo bring a CV. I went last October met with an employer from Canada whom i had arranged to meet (previously applied for a job with them) met 2 of there area directors, got offered the job the next day and am off to Canada fully paid for in May.
(2) thanks from:
01-03-2012, 13:18   #11
Plumberboy

Hey I am just over 30, but out of employment, I am a fully qualified plumber and am going to bring my Certificates with me on Saturday to the expo...Do you think i should be okay if i wanted to go to Canada even though i have not been on the books in over a year I think the fact i have my Certs should be a big help hopefully
01-03-2012, 22:12   #12
galwaygal27

Quote:
Originally Posted by earpul80 View Post
Go to the expo bring a CV. I went last October met with an employer from Canada whom i had arranged to meet (previously applied for a job with them) met 2 of there area directors, got offered the job the next day and am off to Canada fully paid for in May.
we'll definitely bring cvs so,
02-03-2012, 14:07   #13
tosh_2006

i may go in the morning and see whats it's like
02-03-2012, 15:21   #14
hellothere1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumberboy View Post
Hey I am just over 30, but out of employment, I am a fully qualified plumber and am going to bring my Certificates with me on Saturday to the expo...Do you think i should be okay if i wanted to go to Canada even though i have not been on the books in over a year I think the fact i have my Certs should be a big help hopefully
35 is the cut-off point for Canada (inclusive), 30 is the cut-off point for Australia.
02-03-2012, 16:04   #15
hiscan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothere1 View Post
35 is the cut-off point for Canada (inclusive), 30 is the cut-off point for Australia.
So if you're 36 or older,you won't be allowed in to work in Canada under any circumstances?
Forum Closed