Hob advice - Page 2 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-02-2012, 10:53   #16
Seomra Mushie
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
I wish someone other than me would speak ot my OH about gas cookers.

I hate cooking on electric.

Hate it.
Me too.

Whenever I'm looking for a new houseshare in which to rent a room, one of my musts is that the house has a gas hob. I am quite fussy about this and have been since my student days, much to the amusement of my friends and fella!
Advertisement
22-02-2012, 10:59   #17
Kiera
Closed Account

I have an induction hob and couldn’t cook with anything else. I think its great and get great heat out of it.
23-02-2012, 13:07   #18
hardCopy

I'd kill for a gas hob. I just moved into a house with an electric hob and it wrecks my head. I found gas so much easier for stir frying.

Also with gas it's so easy to bring something back from the boil at a flick of the dial, with the electric I have to move the pot until the hob cools down to stop it spilling over.
02-03-2012, 01:05   #19
itsalongday

Inductn just needs a little eating used to - you can buy a little single induction hob also I have 4 of them for different bits in work at € 90 eAch there great valu from kenwood- I do tv demos etc from induction no probs- check the pans alright - I also picked up a wok for € 45 designed for induction and it's fantastic - more economical but it also doesnt bring that extra heat up in front of you- doesn't burn pans like gas or regular electric I have my everyday set 6 now and counting so buy good ones it's well worth it and is also easier to cook on! Best of luck
18-04-2012, 08:42   #20
littleredspot

Ok, so aesthetics tipped the balance in the end and we went for the induction. Then we discovered a problem that no one mentioned.
I've tried 5 different brands of pot and they all buzz. It's not the cooling fan, it's def the pots. Research online suggests that this is a problem with some brands of pots but they all seem to do it.

The annoying thing is that none of the pot or hob sellers that I've spoken to seem to be aware of it. I finally persuaded one who kept telling me I was wrong to try it and lo and behold they buzzed on his hob too.

Abny ideas anyone?
Advertisement
19-04-2012, 06:23   #21
Mellor
Unsubscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleredspot View Post
Ok, so aesthetics tipped the balance in the end and we went for the induction. Then we discovered a problem that no one mentioned.
I've tried 5 different brands of pot and they all buzz. It's not the cooling fan, it's def the pots. Research online suggests that this is a problem with some brands of pots but they all seem to do it.

The annoying thing is that none of the pot or hob sellers that I've spoken to seem to be aware of it. I finally persuaded one who kept telling me I was wrong to try it and lo and behold they buzzed on his hob too.

Abny ideas anyone?
It was mentioned about the pots you use on induction being an issue. Some don't work at all, others don't work too well. I'd rather buzzing over not heating. But thats the reason why I prefer gas.

Are they specifically designed for inducton hobs?
Some hob manufacturers even make a range specifically for thier hobs. I've no idea if they actually work better or its just branding.
19-04-2012, 09:29   #22
littleredspot

All the ones I've tried are induction compatible. They heat up alright, it's just they make a mad buzzing noise while doing it. If you have the extract fan on you wouldn't hear it, but its annoying none the less.
19-04-2012, 11:15   #23
fenris
Like tears in the rain.

Gas is grand except when you want to simmer gently for a period of time, we changed back to gas recently and while the control is good at higher levels it is quite difficult to get a good low simmer without the burner going out particularly if you are cooking with the back door open and there is any kind of air movement.

That being said I still prefer gas.
19-04-2012, 11:46   #24
Alun

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenris View Post
Gas is grand except when you want to simmer gently for a period of time, we changed back to gas recently and while the control is good at higher levels it is quite difficult to get a good low simmer without the burner going out particularly if you are cooking with the back door open and there is any kind of air movement.

That being said I still prefer gas.
I'm tentatively looking at replacing my kitchen, and have seen modular systems (Ikea do one for example) where you can combine different types of hob into one unit, and have considered a setup with 2 gas burners, 1 gas wok burner, and 2 ceramic rings. Sounds like the best of both worlds to me.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
23-04-2012, 19:31   #25
Spanish Eyes

Those of you who hate electric, or couldnt do without gas......did you start off with gas?

When I lived at home it was gas. Then in my house it was electric. god I found it slow! But over time I have gotten really used to it. Have ceramic hob and fan oven for 15 years and would not go back. So easy to clean the hob!

To get quick heat on the bottom of pans I turn on the control to top heat put empty pot on for a few seconds or more, then cook. To cool down quickly, just move to an empty spot on the hob, then back again to simmer. I suppose I am just used to it.

The only thing I'd like gas for is flambé using the gas flame, but I do that with a match!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion