Bleedin Statues - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-11-2009, 00:37   #1
WindSock
Closed Account

Bleedin Statues

Has anyone ever been to see one? I have yet to witness the miracles.
Advertisement
18-11-2009, 16:46   #2
Futurecrook
Hosted Moderator

No bleeding statues. I have been brought to see "moving" statues before though. They were surprisingly static.
Thanks from:
19-11-2009, 14:46   #3
Mahatma coat
Banned

When I was a kid there was a church closeish called Grantstown,some youngwan from Cork came alongand claimed to have visions whenever she sat in the Grotto near the statue of Mary or somesuch,big media circus descended on the parish fora few weeks then most people gotover the initial excitement and mob fervour, realised it was most likely utter bollox and tried to forget about it
30-11-2009, 20:40   #4
Queen-Mise
Subscriber

I went to Ballyspittle (sp) when I was a kid - Very, very strange. Thousands of people standing around staring at a bit of stone.

I also went to the moving statue in Mount Mellery also, that one was nicer, slightly mysterious place.

A very stupid time in the history of Ireland...
05-12-2010, 09:04   #5
Dude111

I really dont know if they exist to be honest!
Advertisement
27-12-2010, 13:10   #6
Dave!

Not personally no, but I read one story of a statue in a church, which was crying blood. They had the blood tested and it turns it it was the same blood as that of the old woman who lived in the building/the curator.

But sure god works in mysterious ways
(3) thanks from:
08-03-2011, 18:34   #7
krd
Banned

I knew a French girl who had "stigmata".

Of course it was complete nonsense - and like Padre Pio self-inflicted. I saw the "stigmata" - it looked like broken blood vessels under skin. They came and went.

She was extremist Catholic and a ferocious anti-semite. She was a loon.

I did know someone who was a non-believer who took his mother and wife to Melery - and the Vargin Mary appeared to him as he was outside having a smoke. Something did happen to him, whether a hallucination or the like - he was pale as ghost for about three weeks and in a daze - whatever happened gave him a serious shock.
21-03-2011, 18:05   #8
Tahuti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen-Mise View Post
I went to Ballyspittle (sp) when I was a kid - Very, very strange. Thousands of people standing around staring at a bit of stone.

I also went to the moving statue in Mount Mellery also, that one was nicer, slightly mysterious place.

A very stupid time in the history of Ireland...
IIRC the Ballinspittle statues were moving around the time of the Kerry babies case, which was a time of national trauma, especially for females.

So, I wonder if the alleged apparitions by the Blessed Virgin Mary were some sort of imagined manifestation of that trauma.

(I lifted this theory straight from Robert Anton Wilson's 'Coincidance')
Thanks from:
02-10-2011, 21:22   #9
Batsy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindSock View Post
Has anyone ever been to see one? I have yet to witness the miracles.
I saw a crying - not a bleeding - statue of Virgin Mary on a 1986 episode of my favourite TV show, Only Fools and Horses.

But that was only because Del Boy had nicked the lead from the church's roof.

Last edited by Batsy; 02-10-2011 at 21:24.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
02-10-2011, 21:25   #10
maygitchell
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batsy View Post
I saw a crying - not a bleeding - statue of Virgin Mary on a 1986 episode of my favourite TV show, Only Fools and Horses.

But that was only because Del Boy had nicked the lead from the church's roof.
Great episode, good times
02-10-2011, 21:28   #11
Batsy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maygitchell View Post
Great episode, good times
It makes me laugh just thinking about that episode.
31-10-2011, 21:18   #12
fishy fishy

I went to see the famous moving statue in my area in the 90's. However, when I got there the statue was gone but there was a note that said "gone for a fag break, back in ten", but I couldn't hang around as I had to get to school
01-03-2012, 14:48   #13
squonk

Send a message via MSN to squonk Send a message via Skype™ to squonk
Was anything ever proved or disproved about those statues, like the Ballinspittle thing? I was a bit young when it was all kicking off so I don't remember too much about it. I was about 10 or 11 so sort of took what I was told to be true. Now, obviously, not . Was it ever categorically proved that something did happen or was it shown up as bollox?
02-03-2012, 00:14   #14
Adamas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by squonk View Post
Was anything ever proved or disproved about those statues, like the Ballinspittle thing? I was a bit young when it was all kicking off so I don't remember too much about it. I was about 10 or 11 so sort of took what I was told to be true. Now, obviously, not . Was it ever categorically proved that something did happen or was it shown up as bollox?

Yeah, there was a weird sort of mania around that time. I remember a load of us lads heading off to someplace around Easkey, Sligo for a laugh. As we neared the place that moonlit night, we saw lots of people heading up a long dark path. Then we suddenly saw lights as we turned a bend - chip vans and those stalls that sell rosaries and religious charms.

It was weird, but later on as people were standing in this field, some of them in circles saying prayers and stuff, there was a sudden gasp as a small red light lit up near a dark hedgerow - someone lighting a fag...

Soon after, it got very very very dark, and then....it got suddenly brighter....the moon came back out from behind the clouds. Never saw any virgin in Easkey since either...ah well.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion