Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-02-2012, 17:34   #16
MYOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoobrien View Post
i think there was also something about the distance between the junctions not being enough to justify 120km/h as well.
This is just the southern cross section in question - the distances between the junctions there are huge!
Advertisement
25-02-2012, 09:47   #17
icdg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYOB View Post
This is just the southern cross section in question - the distances between the junctions there are huge!
The speed limit on the Southern Cross was 60mph on the day it opened, so it must have been a planning permission thing.

OP the 120 km/h limit for motorways is just a default, not a requirement. Road authorities are free to set special speed limits on motorways just as on any other road.
25-02-2012, 11:12   #18
MYOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by icdg View Post
The speed limit on the Southern Cross was 60mph on the day it opened, so it must have been a planning permission thing.
It was - noise concerns as I mentioned.
27-02-2012, 21:24   #19
abitofacomedian

If you travel the whole length of the M50 you'd take 4mins longer travelling at 100km/h than at 120km/h. Hardly a big issue, but time savings of 4mins have been used to justify spending millions on other schemes.

I worked on the M50, and at the time one of the reasons given for the lower speed limit was higher capacity. Traffic can travel closer together at 100 than at 120, so more vehicles can physically fit on the road. In addition to the narrower lanes, noise and junction spacings I don't think that 100km/h is a bad compromise.
27-02-2012, 21:29   #20
quietriot
Closed Account

It might be 100kph but I can't remember ever having done 100kph on it.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion