Anybody have an idea which company this is? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-02-2012, 14:52   #1
Broads.ie

Anybody have an idea which company this is?

From the Fas website:

We are currently recruiting Production Operatives for a Medical Device Company in Cork. (ROSSA AVENUE BISHOPSTOWN CORK)

Any idea who this is?

That "Kelly Services" contact is just a recruitment agency.
Advertisement
27-02-2012, 14:55   #2
Faith
Mary Berry is my idol

Isn't there a place out there that makes prosthetic limbs?

/edit: Actually, I think I'm wrong about the location.

Last edited by Faith; 27-02-2012 at 14:57.
27-02-2012, 14:56   #3
RoverJames
Banned

I'd say the add is for Boston Scientific.

I'm not aware of any company in Cork who makes prosthetic limbs, Stryker and Depuy make orthopaedic implants.
(2) thanks from:
27-02-2012, 15:01   #4
evilivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverJames View Post
I'd say the add is for Boston Scientific
Correct. Wording is virtually identical to previous ads.
http://ie.vacancies24.eu/job/product...-company-cork/
27-02-2012, 17:07   #5
ofcork

Kellys do the recruiting for boston now.
Advertisement
27-02-2012, 17:13   #6
RoverJames
Banned

........ so the positions can't be advertised with Fas??
27-02-2012, 17:16   #7
ofcork

Of course they can just letting people know you are employed by kellys and not boston themselves.
27-02-2012, 18:03   #8
horgan_p
General Dogsbody

Isn't Stryker part of Boston Scientific now ?
Or the other way round ?
27-02-2012, 18:39   #9
RoverJames
Banned

Stryker have bought the Neurovascular part of Boston Scientific, a fair chunk if not the majority of the Model Farm Rd site.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-02-2012, 18:44   #10
ofcork

AFAIK they will be building onto the current site soon.
27-02-2012, 19:26   #11
Ludo

Building work has already started from what I can tell. Dumper trucks in and out a lot from there recently.
27-02-2012, 20:01   #12
Outkast_IRE

ya but styker are moving the business onto the new site where work has begun next door, the jobs will transfer over when complete, as far as i know boston are working on getting replacement products ready to create more jobs when the existing ones shift to styker
27-02-2012, 20:03   #13
mawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverJames View Post
Stryker have bought the Neurovascular part of Boston Scientific, a fair chunk if not the majority of the Model Farm Rd site.
yeah about 70% of cork's products, but they are bringing in some new ones instead so thats good for cork. more jobs created to replace the staff transferring to stryker hopefully.

the ad is fairly certain to be boston, anyhow
28-02-2012, 14:03   #14
out da lough

A medical device company that outsources it's production work to a contract recruitment company and then pays them just above the minimum wage doesn't bode well for the future. Couple that with the low corporate tax structure and the easy mobility of companies like Boston Scientific and you can see why Ireland is now like Costa Rica and other low tech, low cost plastic tubing manufacturing locations.
No permament work, just contracting in large numbers of manual workers. If I ever end up having neurosurgery, I'm going to insist that my surgeon doesn't bet my life on one of these "medical devices," that's for sure!
And interestingly enough, both Boston Scientific and Stryker have had quality system problems which have led to the FDA taking action during the past few years.
28-02-2012, 14:14   #15
RoverJames
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by out da lough View Post
A medical device company that outsources it's production work to a contract recruitment company and then pays them just above the minimum wage doesn't bode well for the future. Couple that with the low corporate tax structure and the easy mobility of companies like Boston Scientific and you can see why Ireland is now like Costa Rica and other low tech, low cost plastic tubing manufacturing locations.
No permament work, just contracting in large numbers of manual workers. If I ever end up having neurosurgery, I'm going to insist that my surgeon doesn't bet my life on one of these "medical devices," that's for sure!
And interestingly enough, both Boston Scientific and Stryker have had quality system problems which have led to the FDA taking action during the past few years.
I know several people who are now full time staff in Boston having started as agency product builders

The majority of the product builders would be full time staff, regardless of them being full time or agency they would all be trained and certified to the required standard. The work isn't outsourced as such, Boston will still interview the folks and hire who they want through Kellys.

The issues that both Boston and Stryker had with the FDA were nothing at all to do with the manufacturing processes or the quality of how the parts were made.

If you ever end up having neurosurgery that requires the likes of a neurovascular coil that's made in Boston Scientific in Model Farm Rd what will you suggest to the surgeon as an alternative procedure?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion