Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-02-2012, 18:09   #16
SerialComplaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mental Mickey View Post
I was told by the woman I spoke to in the council that if I want to buy my own home, I still have to fill in that form????
If you buy your own home, the council have no part in that transaction, so you don't have to go near them or fill in any forms.

Or are you looking for some support from the council in buying your own home?
Advertisement
27-02-2012, 09:25   #17
Mental Mickey

I don't know which way to go about it.
27-02-2012, 09:57   #18
SerialComplaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mental Mickey View Post
I don't know which way to go about it.
To the best of my knowledge, the Council won't give you any support to buy your own home. Current Housing Policy does not incentivise home ownership over other forms of tenancy.

So your choices are;

1) Register for social housing with the Council
2) Buy your own home, and apply for a Housing Adaptation Grant afterwards, with no guarantee of the grant.
04-11-2012, 13:38   #19
robjo

its all on www.disability.ie
06-11-2012, 15:44   #20
stephcgriffin

Hello.
Not sure if anyone here will be able to help me but if you could even point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.
I am 20 years old.
I was diagnosed with depression & an anxiety disorder at 15.
I struggled at school and left without sitting my leaving cert.
I started college in 2011 but left after a few weeks.
I started college (again!) this September but left today because I can't handle the workload.
I didn't want to leave school or college but in the face of a breakdown I had to choose to put my mental health first.
I've been trying to look for work on & off since leaving school in early 2010 but to be honest I don't feel like I could cope with it.
Leaving the house can be a monumental task some days even if it's only to see friends.
I had applied for a student grant but obviously I won't be entitled to that anymore.
My parents paid for my college fees, bus fares and anything else relating to my education this year but I had hoped on paying them back once the grant came through.
I am living at home with them but they can't exactly afford to keep me and I wouldn't expect them to.
I have absolutely no income but don't feel capable of working and it's just out of laziness as some people say!
I want to make something of my life but don't feel like I'm in the head-space to be focusing on anything outside my mental health.
I need to take things slowly and get on the right track.
I've been in & out of the public mental health services and am now waiting on an appointment after a referral from my GP.
Would I be entitled to any kind of benefit at all?
I need to be giving something to my parents towards bills & food and I've absolutely no personal money for myself.
I don't know if I should apply for Jobseeker's since I don't feel like I could actually work.
I don't want to be doing anything illegal and getting into trouble!
I don't know if depression counts as a disability and how one would predict how long it would be disabling for?
If anyone has any information I'd be really grateful.
Thank you.
Advertisement
06-11-2012, 16:57   #21
livemusic4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephcgriffin View Post
Hello.
Not sure if anyone here will be able to help me but if you could even point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.
I am 20 years old.
I was diagnosed with depression & an anxiety disorder at 15.
I struggled at school and left without sitting my leaving cert.
I started college in 2011 but left after a few weeks.
I started college (again!) this September but left today because I can't handle the workload.
I didn't want to leave school or college but in the face of a breakdown I had to choose to put my mental health first.
I've been trying to look for work on & off since leaving school in early 2010 but to be honest I don't feel like I could cope with it.
Leaving the house can be a monumental task some days even if it's only to see friends.
I had applied for a student grant but obviously I won't be entitled to that anymore.
My parents paid for my college fees, bus fares and anything else relating to my education this year but I had hoped on paying them back once the grant came through.
I am living at home with them but they can't exactly afford to keep me and I wouldn't expect them to.
I have absolutely no income but don't feel capable of working and it's just out of laziness as some people say!
I want to make something of my life but don't feel like I'm in the head-space to be focusing on anything outside my mental health.
I need to take things slowly and get on the right track.
I've been in & out of the public mental health services and am now waiting on an appointment after a referral from my GP.
Would I be entitled to any kind of benefit at all?
I need to be giving something to my parents towards bills & food and I've absolutely no personal money for myself.
I don't know if I should apply for Jobseeker's since I don't feel like I could actually work.
I don't want to be doing anything illegal and getting into trouble!
I don't know if depression counts as a disability and how one would predict how long it would be disabling for?
If anyone has any information I'd be really grateful.
Thank you.
Hey,
Yes depression is a form of disability, and if you were diagnosed when you were 15 you stand a pretty good chance, the thing is that you will be refused first time, you need to appeal. Go and get the process started and the community welfare officer will give you money every week while you're waiting. You may get some money disallowed for being late in applying. You need a letter from your college to prove that you're no longer a student.

Best of luck with it
10-09-2013, 10:52   #22
Mama40

Disability allowance query

Hi Just wondering if anyone can help. I applied for disability allowance in Jan of this year because I have arthritis in my back for the past 3 years since I gave birth to my son. After hounding them for months and sending in more relevant information to back it up and also a call to a local TD I finally got a letter today asking for me to send in our joint account and my husbands bank statements for the past 6 months. Does anyone think this is a good sign I will receive the disability allowance now? thanking you in advance!
11-09-2013, 16:21   #23
raymick

Hi Mama40 I too received a request for six months bank statements and was wondering the same thing I hope it is a good sign I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome type 3 which is for life. I have been waiting for a reply since Jan 2013 so fingers crossed
11-09-2013, 17:43   #24
Mama40

Hi Raymick I think it is a good sign lets be positive keep in touch. Sorry about your diagnosis.
Advertisement
13-09-2013, 13:42   #25
raymick

Thanks for reply its hard to get any information from anyone, hoping that because it is a recognised condition that they don't make me jump through too many hoops. I applied in Jan 2013 I just left them to it and the requests for the bank statements was the first contact I heard back. I cant take much more waiting I am waiting for the postman every morning hoping to hear
16-09-2013, 20:02   #26
filo87

Will be interested to hear how you get on, Raymick. I applied Jan 2013 as well and also have EDS type 3. I've heard nothing back yet
16-09-2013, 20:41   #27
raymick

Hi Filo I was told that it would be November before my application would be looked at so I was just waiting to hear, last week I got a letter to send in bank statements and send them to the back log section so don't know how long it will take to hear anything back. Do you mind me asking who diagnosed your EDS my experience in this country is that the doctors really don't know anything about it and to get a diagnoses still does not help with anything. You still get treated like its all in your head.
16-09-2013, 21:50   #28
filo87

I rang about a month ago and was told they were still processing applications from October 2012! Will PM you now re doctors.
16-09-2013, 22:38   #29
Mama40

Hi Ray sorry for the late reply. Hi Filo I am sorry for your diagnosis too. When u have any disease etc... like arthritis EDS people do not believe you and what you are going through. Is there any support groups you could join? I am on a few on Face book as my arthritis is an usual one!! Filo I hope u hear something soon. best of luck. I still have to send in my bank statements need to get a code from the bank so we can print them ourselves! How long ago did u send them in Ray? Filo when exactly in Jan did u apply?
16-09-2013, 23:05   #30
filo87

Mama40, I posted my application on Jan 7th and it was received on the 16th. Hopefully we'll all hear more soon!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion