Clampers “make no money” from clamping - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-02-2012, 10:06   #1
CamperMan

Send a message via Skype™ to CamperMan
Clampers “make no money” from clamping

so why do they clamp peoples cars and screw them out of lots of money to get the clamp released?

http://www.thejournal.ie/clampers-ma...49194-Feb2012/
Advertisement
08-02-2012, 10:09   #2
Stark

Send a message via AIM to Stark
I'm sure they do it purely out of sense of civic duty.
(4) thanks from:
08-02-2012, 18:30   #3
Cian92

I'm afraid, saying there is no money o be made from it is jsut a lie. They generally make a loss on the release fees from the cars. However when clamping was introduced first in Dublin, the numbers paying for discs etc increased by about 80%.

Taking the increase in numbers paying for parking into account, the clampers would be making quite a hefty profit.
08-02-2012, 18:36   #4
Salt001

Of course they make money,they are not doing it out of a sense of civic duty.
Did I read somewhere there is now a clamping firm or traffic warden on the Aran Islands now?. Nowhere is safe
08-02-2012, 19:13   #5
steadyeddie08

Could NCPS be making no money from clamping???

NCPS vans drive around the streets where I live on a 24/7 basis including bank holidays. Sometimes you will see 2 or three vans at the same time searching for the opportunity to clamp a van that may have stayed in the loading bay for more that the allowed 15 minutes or maybe the stupid car driver that may have parked there a few minutes before 7pm .

Obviously the 120 euro that they charge is just not enough for their bosses to make a living.
Advertisement
08-02-2012, 19:21   #6
Scealta_saol

Yeah there's a warden on Aran Islands now:

http://www.galwaynews.ie/23787-aran-...parking-ticket

And of course there is money made in clamping - people are always getting clamped so there has to be a good bit of money in that right??
But I would say a lot of the money comes from the P&D meters...
08-02-2012, 19:28   #7
johnos1984
Closed Account

Clampers making no money from clamping.......I couldn't give a shyte if they make nothing from it

The other part of the story which i spotted in The Times today was that they are lobbying to be allowed issue private parking tickets. Now that's far more worrying.....

Shower of shytes either way
08-02-2012, 19:51   #8
Jarren

Clamping blackspots in Dublin

Friday, 13 May 2011
by Cian McCormack

Motorists in Dublin are forking out millions in fines for illegal parking in the city.

In 2010, Dublin City Council collected €26 million from parking metres, and €4.5 million in fines for illegal parking in the city.

In the first four months of this year, almost 20,000 people (19,791) paid €1.5 million to have their cars de-clamped in Dublin.

Cars are most likely to be clamped on Jervis Street. 261 have been clamped there already this year - up until April. Each clamp release fee costs €80 meaning €20,880 has been collected from that street alone in fines.

Shelbourne Road follows in second place with 230 vehicles clamped there already this year, while Dominick Street Lower, Wellington Quay Street, and Ranelagh feature as the third, fourth and fifth clamping blackspots in the capital.

Last year (2010), 58,076 vehicles were clamped, costing motorists over €4.5.

Noel Purcell Walk was last year's clamping blackspot. 976 vehicles were clamped there. That cost motorists €78,080 in de-clamping fees. Shelbourne Road, Burgh Quay, Dominick Street Lower and Aston Quay followed as the second, third, fourth and fifth clamping black spots.

It costs more to provide the declamping service than the money it generates. Last year, €4.5 million was collected from de-clamping, but it costs nearly double that to run the service.

Dublin City Council confirmed it costs between €9 million and €10 million for the service, and that money is spent on: Dublin Street Parking Service's clamping service; Dublin Street Parking Service's parking metre maintence; Dublin City Council's small parking enforcement office.

In addition to the €26 million collected from pay and display: €880,000 was collected from private residential parking permits; and more money is collected from four car parks run by the council.

Parking permits cost €40 but there is a proposal with the city council's Transport and Traffic Committee to raise it to €50. However, councillors have to vote on the proposal.

Dublin City's clamping service is operated by Dublin Street Parking Services (DSPS) on Dublin City Council's behalf.

http://www.rte.ie/ie/morningireland/...pots_in_dublin

Still money to be made in clamping.
08-02-2012, 19:52   #9
galwaydude18

I have been clamped by NCPS for being one minute late and even though they were just walking away from the van as i got to it they wouldn't released til I paid the fine. On the same job I saw them form out the window several times every 15 mins pull in get out their vans and check every vehicle and clamp whoever was late.

Biggest shower of gangsters I have ever seen. I would love to see their accounts and how they are not making money!
Advertisement
08-02-2012, 20:05   #10
johnos1984
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by galwaydude18 View Post
I have been clamped by NCPS for being one minute late and even though they were just walking away from the van as i got to it they wouldn't released til I paid the fine. On the same job I saw them form out the window several times every 15 mins pull in get out their vans and check every vehicle and clamp whoever was late.

Biggest shower of gangsters I have ever seen. I would love to see their accounts and how they are not making money!
I believe it's a private company like Tesco and doesn't have to publish them. Otherwise it would be available on the net.
08-02-2012, 20:08   #11
CamperMan

Send a message via Skype™ to CamperMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scealta_saol View Post
Yeah there's a warden on Aran Islands now:

http://www.galwaynews.ie/23787-aran-...parking-ticket

they have to find jobs for the boys no matter where it is
08-02-2012, 20:43   #12
snappieT

Send a message via ICQ to snappieT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperMan View Post
so why do they clamp peoples cars and screw them out of lots of money to get the clamp released?
Because without enforcement, nobody would pay, and half the point of paid street parking - having people move their cars on so others can replace them - wouldn't exist. Town would be filled with worker's cars at 9am, and nobody would be able to get a space anywhere.
23-02-2012, 13:24   #13
Pawwed Rig

I thought this bit was interesting

"Deputy Ciaran Lynch asked about what he called the “urban myths” around clamping, such as the claim that clamping companies are infringing on car owners’ private property rights.
He asked if this has ever been tested in the courts.
He also asked if a person can remove the clamp without doing damage to the clamp and bring it to the clampers’ office, would the person then not have to pay the fine, within the law.
Tom Harrington of the IPA said that the legislation hasn’t been tested in Ireland. It has been tested in England and that individual didn’t win the case because the area had clear and legible signage and it was said the person entered into a contract as they parked on private property, he explained.
He said that there have been occasions where people have cut through clamps with a saw but they have “never been good enough to bring it around to the office”."

We need a volunteer to test this out.

Anybody?
23-02-2012, 17:43   #14
Anan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappieT View Post
Because without enforcement, nobody would pay, and half the point of paid street parking - having people move their cars on so others can replace them - wouldn't exist. Town would be filled with worker's cars at 9am, and nobody would be able to get a space anywhere.
This was the case in Dublin, before on-street clamping was introduced. The supreme irony is that the people who complain loudest against clampers are the very same people who make clamping necessary. You guys could collectively put every clamper in the country out of a job tomorrow if you wanted - why don't you?
Thanks from:
23-02-2012, 17:59   #15
MYOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnos1984 View Post
I believe it's a private company like Tesco and doesn't have to publish them. Otherwise it would be available on the net.
Tesco's a PLC.

You may be thinking of Dunnes, who are private and most importantly, unlimited. Private limited companies have to file accounts also

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion