Zelda (Where to start?) - Page 7 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-02-2012, 12:24   #91
Banjo

I must go back and play Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. I bought them both only to find that my mic didn't work, which renders the games unplayable - especially Spirit Tracks which requires mic input to work the f'ing pan pipes... The new 3DS should be fine though.
Advertisement
23-02-2012, 16:50   #92
Icarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Nice Guy View Post
I played Ocarina of Time on the 3Ds and thought it was outstanding. One of my favourite games ever.

I was so impressed with it that I took out LttP which I originally bought on the GBA but never finished - and I finally completed that the other day...and I was left underwhelmed.

I'm not sure why some say LttP is better than Ocarina of Time? Is it a nostalgia thing because to me Ocarina of Time is a good bit better. I'm not saying LttP isn't good. I enjoyed it, but after going straight from Ocarina to LttP it just left me as I say underwhelmed.

I might give Minish Cap a look if it's still around.
I was in the same position. I had a SNES and Megadrive back in 1992, but never played Zelda back in the day. OoT was my first one and I loved it, Majoras Mask came next and although I thought the world design, towns and sidequests were actually better than OoT, it never sat quite right with me. Even with the reverse song of time, that still only gives you about 3 hours to finish a dungeon, which I always felt had to be done in one sitting. To me Zelda is supposed to be a leisurely paced game, which is why I never fuly succumbed to MM's charms.

Like you I played LttP on GBA first, and while I enjoyed it, I never thought it was an amazing experience. Then again, Super Mario World on GBA never felt quite the smae as the SNES original either, so maybe you had to play it on a SNES in front of a small CRT tv back in 1993 to really experience LttP!.

Based purely on the GBA versions though, I felt that Minish Cap was the more compelling game. It's still 2D, but the overworld, art style, dungeon and item design feel more like a modern 3D Zelda.
Thanks from:
23-02-2012, 16:51   #93
Icarian

Quote:
I played Ocarina of Time on the 3Ds and thought it was outstanding. One of my favourite games ever.

I was so impressed with it that I took out LttP which I originally bought on the GBA but never finished - and I finally completed that the other day...and I was left underwhelmed.

I'm not sure why some say LttP is better than Ocarina of Time? Is it a nostalgia thing because to me Ocarina of Time is a good bit better. I'm not saying LttP isn't good. I enjoyed it, but after going straight from Ocarina to LttP it just left me as I say underwhelmed.

I was in the same position. I had a SNES and Megadrive back in 1992, but never played Zelda back in the day. OoT was my first one and I loved it, Majoras Mask came next and although I thought the world design, towns and sidequests were actually better than OoT, it never sat quite right with me. Even with the reverse song of time, that still only gives you about 3 hours to finish a dungeon, which I always felt had to be done in one sitting. To me Zelda is supposed to be a leisurely paced game, which is why I never fuly succumbed to MM's charms.

Like you I played LttP on GBA first, and while I enjoyed it, I never thought it was an amazing experience. Then again, Super Mario World on GBA never felt quite the same as the SNES original either, so maybe you had to play it on a SNES in front of a small CRT tv back in 1993 to really experience LttP!.

Based purely on the GBA versions though, I felt that Minish Cap was the more compelling game. It's still 2D, but the overworld, art style, dungeon and item design feel more like a modern 3D Zelda.
10-03-2012, 19:38   #94
Ostrom

Any thoughts on Spirit Tracks? Haven't time to sit down to Skyward Sword yet, and its going cheap in my local shop....
10-03-2012, 19:44   #95
Princess Peach

Quote:
Originally Posted by efla View Post
Any thoughts on Spirit Tracks? Haven't time to sit down to Skyward Sword yet, and its going cheap in my local shop....
I really liked Spirit Tracks. I'm a bad critic though, tend to like all Zelda Games! But it's worth a play! The train driving will drive you scatty sometimes but the gameplay is good.

Still nothing will be as good as Skyward Sword though. I suggest putting all social norms on hold and caving yourself in to play it. Its not healthy that you have been putting life ahead of this game.
Advertisement
10-03-2012, 20:10   #96
Ostrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Peach View Post
I really liked Spirit Tracks. I'm a bad critic though, tend to like all Zelda Games! But it's worth a play! The train driving will drive you scatty sometimes but the gameplay is good.

Still nothing will be as good as Skyward Sword though. I suggest putting all social norms on hold and caving yourself in to play it. Its not healthy that you have been putting life ahead of this game.
I've had to put it away in the wardrobe, triforce motion plus and all; I'm just too busy (it is a great incentive to meet a long deadline though - looking forward to playing it this summer)

I'd probably be happy just to drive the train around in spirit tracks... That, and I've forgotten how much I enjoyed phantom hourglass.
10-03-2012, 22:59   #97
jaydoxx

Spirit tracks is amazing, play it straight away after the boat one(can't remember the name) and it'll blow it outta the water,pun intended.
Thanks from:
10-03-2012, 23:51   #98
Ostrom

I'm convinced! Will pick it up tomorrow
11-03-2012, 00:18   #99
jaydoxx

Be honest, the pun sold it for ya, right?
Advertisement
11-03-2012, 00:31   #100
Ostrom

It may have altered my train of thought
Thanks from:
11-03-2012, 00:36   #101
jaydoxx

Note to self: become worlds punniest salesman
15-03-2012, 22:13   #102
Ostrom

I love it! Utterly charming, and I still haven't grown tired of pulling the train whistle thing.

Having come from playing 3DS OOT, I'm genuinely surprised at how significant an advance the 3DS is on its predecessor.
(2) thanks from:
20-03-2012, 03:00   #103
animaX

I wouldn't recommend it to the OP but for any Link to the past fans, I would strongly recommend checking out Zelda: Parallel Worlds
Thanks from:
21-03-2012, 19:57   #104
Mr.Nice Guy

Quote:

I feel the need to update my views on LttP.

Since I first completed it I've since cleared the game another two times.

I swear it was the gorgeous ending theme that lured me back for further play. There is indeed a charm to the game that was probably lost on me when I first played it, probably due to frustration at getting used to a new system as well as the fact OOT had just blown my socks off.

I now have a different take now to LttP. I would still probably say that OOT as a stand alone gaming experience brought me greater satisfaction than LttP, however I'd find it quite tough going to pick up OOT and play through it all again, whereas LttP seems more accessible to me and thus I reckon I'd be more likely to play through LttP again before OOT.

Both are fantastic games and now I have to go check out some more of the series.
Thanks from:
21-03-2012, 21:08   #105
TanG411
Closed Account

Is Twilight Princess worth getting for the Wii? I saw it second hand for €13 in town yesterday.

Also saw Game selling Skyward Sword for €35. I don't have a Motion Plus though.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion