Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urban Trails Series 2012

Options
  • 23-02-2012 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭

Thought id retreive this thread again. Dong this 8K run in Marlay next saturday for 1st time. Wondering what to expect?

No mention of it here this year? Many of yous running it this saturday morning. Starting @ 11 00.

Last year's thread

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 13 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    76%
    eoinínDogSlySmileBungy GirlmadonmaupatMonkieSocksMcWoteverCiaranMcDCFCTruman BurbankHarto45 10 votes
    3 stars (average)
    23%
    Laois_ManTheRoadRunnerHelenAnne 3 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    0%
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

4 stars (good)
    Doing the 4K. Never done a 4k race before so PB guaranteed :D. Seems like there'll be a good crowd there.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Harto45

4 stars (good)
    Signed up for the 8km. Looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

4 stars (good)
    Almost 1000 runners signed up!:eek:

Looks like it could be mucky given todays rain. Which will only add to the fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭CiaranMcDCFC

4 stars (good)
    I am doing the eight K tomorrow as well, was wondering can anyone advise what this will be like? Am used to road races and this is my first venture off-rad and beginning to think it will be a lot tougher than I was expecting. Not looking for a time, just hoping to finished before darkness falls.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ac20

I am doing the eight K tomorrow as well, was wondering can anyone advise what this will be like? Am used to road races and this is my first venture off-rad and beginning to think it will be a lot tougher than I was expecting. Not looking for a time, just hoping to finished before darkness falls.

I ran the series last year and it was great fun. Last years course in Marlay took in some trails through the trees, a few of the footpaths and we crossed a few football pitches along the way. There was one jump across a stream or ditch as far as I recall as well with marshals there to help you if you needed. It was a flat enough course, there was one hill up one of the footpaths early on but nothing serious. All in all it was something a little different. Word of warning if you are driving , get there early and try the Lidl (or Aldi cant remember) about 100 mtrs past the main gate to the park on the grange road, on the left hand side. Parking was at a premium last year and there seems to be three times as many doing tomorrow race.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    ac20 wrote: »
    I ran the series last year and it was great fun. Last years course in Marlay took in some trails through the trees, a few of the footpaths and we crossed a few football pitches along the way. There was one jump across a stream or ditch as far as I recall as well with marshals there to help you if you needed. It was a flat enough course, there was one hill up one of the footpaths early on but nothing serious. All in all it was something a little different. Word of warning if you are driving , get there early and try the Lidl (or Aldi cant remember) about 100 mtrs past the main gate to the park on the grange road, on the left hand side. Parking was at a premium last year and there seems to be three times as many doing tomorrow race.

Thanks for that ac20

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭CrazySka

Great day in Marlay today, really well organised, sign in was the quickest at any event I've been to, great selection of fruit and drinks at the end.
    Was a bit mucky up the back of the course as expected, trail running shoes would have been a big advantage there.
    Fair play to the organisers and all the stewards and staff, seemed to me to be a very well operated event compared to last year, queuing was totally eliminated and someone managed to arrange the best weather of the year :)

4 stars (good)
    +1 to that. Really well organised, great course and fantastic weather. Still buzzing after it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

Results Now Available HERE

Thanks to John at Red Tag for the speedy results particularly considering the rugby match that had to be watched too :)

Great Turnout at Marlay this morning where the sun gods shone brightly so hopefully we will get a good crowd out at Tymon Park on 24th March and lSt Annes Park on 21st April

4 stars (good)
    Great event and really well organised. Couldn't ask for better weather too.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Some great photos from the race are up on Actionphotography.ie and via Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

4 stars (good)
    Fun race, good value, well organised, very friendly atmosphere and great weather! What more can one ask for from a race! Bring on the next one!

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭mjp

Very enjoyable run and well organised. Came in at 39.12 so delighted with my run as was thinking be around 42/43 minute mark. Were blessed with the great weather aswell i must say.

One quick question. Did the organisers remove the 7km marker for the second lap as was timing how i was doing for each km. Was pushing for a sub 40 minute finish for the final 2 km but missed the 7Km marker and for a couple of minutes i thought i was slowing down as hadnt seen it. Worked out great for me as ran the final 2km in under 9 mins.
    Thought after that they might have removed it for psychological reasons so people would push themselves even more for the final 2 k.

Overall a great run and looking forward to next run in St annes park

4 stars (good)
    mjp wrote: »

One quick question. Did the organisers remove the 7km marker for the second lap as was timing how i was doing for each km. Was pushing for a sub 40 minute finish for the final 2 km but missed the 7Km marker and for a couple of minutes i thought i was slowing down as hadnt seen it. Worked out great for me as ran the final 2km in under 9 mins.
    Thought after that they might have removed it for psychological reasons so people would push themselves even more for the final 2 k.

It was there when I passed it. I doubt they pulled it up after I passed but before you did. You probably just missed it - I missed the 5km marker on the second lap despite looking out for it.

Thanks to all for their positive comments on the race in Marlay last Saturday.

Hopefully this will be reflected in lots of high score in the poll above that has just been setup :D

Due to unforeseen circumstances we have had to swap the venues for the remaining two races.
    This will have the next race in Tymon Park on March 24th
    The final race will be in St Anne's Park on April 21st

Apologies for anyone that this inconveniences.
    If this causes major problems to anyone who has already entered either of these individual events then please drop us a mail this week to info@urbantrailsireland.com and we will try to help out where possible

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Diagonally

I had signed up to the St Anne's race on March 24th. I presume the switch means that my entry is automatically changed to the Tynan Park venue on that date?

Is it possible to switch to the original venue on the new date - was looking forward to running in St Anne's.

Diagonally wrote: »
    I had signed up to the St Anne's race on March 24th. I presume the switch means that my entry is automatically changed to the Tynan Park venue on that date?

Is it possible to switch to the original venue on the new date - was looking forward to running in St Anne's.

No Diagonally - Your St Anne's entry stays as a St Anne's entry for the new date.

Anyone that wants to swap their entries between venues or alternatively wants a refund because they cannot make the new date at the race they joined will be given one on request.

In practice most folk availed of our super value 3 races for €30 or €39 offer so we only expect a few folks that have entered one of the race individually to request a change or refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭mjp

Anyone doing run in Tymon park this Saturday? Looking at photos from last year it seems conditions were really bad with some parts where your in 2foot of muck and water.

Anyone know what its like out there as don't have trail runners and concerned after seeing those pics.

Might need to bring the waders as be going knee deep in it !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Tymon Park is pretty dry these days, hardly any muck to be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Truman Burbank

4 stars (good)
    CrazySka wrote: »
    Great day in Marlay today, really well organised, sign in was the quickest at any event I've been to, great selection of fruit and drinks at the end.
    Was a bit mucky up the back of the course as expected, trail running shoes would have been a big advantage there.
    Fair play to the organisers and all the stewards and staff, seemed to me to be a very well operated event compared to last year, queuing was totally eliminated and someone managed to arrange the best weather of the year :)

+ 1, was a fantastically well-organised event.

Have a young teen who went in the 4k, and really enjoyed the run, the course, the music, the group warm-up, the TONS of refreshements, and the support from organisers and spectators. Thank you!

Looking forward to Tymon Park this Saturday. For those not familiar with parking in this area, the main Tymon car park and Faugh's GAA car park are both quite small, and will be full pretty much immediately with parents going to the playground and GAA players etc. Per the Urban Trails website get the bus to the door (The 150 from Dame Street is brilliant), or park just up the road to Tymon park in the huge Spawell car park, 5 mins walk. Lovely pub restaurant there too!

http://www.urbantrailsireland.com/race2-Tymon-Park.php

• Advertisement

Run Ireland Site is down at present so we will keep on-line entries open until at least noon tomorrow presuming it is fixed first thing in the morning. There will be entry on the day until 10.30am but it is better if you can enter on line.

We have permission to use the large lower section of the Spawell complex car-park for race parking which is only a couple of mins walk to the registration area -There is a time limit of 4 hours in this car park but think that should not inconvenience anyone and hopefully folk will support the businesses including the pub after :)
    Please don't inconvenience Faugh's GAA or Tempelogue United Soccer clubs by using their car parks.

There are some great bus services and the park is easily accessible from a lot of the city by bike so please try not to travel alone in a vehicle to the event.

See you Sat

4 stars (good)
    Great race in Tymon Park this morning. Couldn't have asked for better weather and the course was lovely. Tasty melon at the finish too :)

4 stars (good)
    Agreed, another very enjoyable urban trails race! This one was much tougher (in my opinion) than the Marlay one, not just because of the longer race length, but there seemed to be a much wider variety in running surface and more hills, all of which kept it fun and interesting. I also had a great thrill crossing over the busy M50 all those times!

Provisional Tymon Results now available at event website

Any timing queries to uts@redtagtiming.com

Photos now available HERE from Action Photography

Next race at St Anne's on Sat 21st April - entries now open :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 city slicker

Sure was a well organised race and great atmosphere.
    Lucked out on the weather this year as opposed to last year.
    One small complaint, I think a race of nearly 10K should have a water stop at the half way point, I'm aware that it was unusually warm for the time of year but regardless of the weather a water stop would be good.
    Looking forward to St Annes!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

I've really enjoyed the two races so far; really well organised and a great chance to enjoy parts of Dublin I would otherwise have been unaware of.

I thought when I signed up for the three that a t shirt on completion of the series was included, however I see from the latest email that you need to buy then separately at the events. I didn't see anyone either selling or wearing shirts at the Marlay or Tymon park runs, does anyone know where you go to buy one?

4 stars (good)
    I didn't see anyone either selling or wearing shirts at the Marlay or Tymon park runs, does anyone know where you go to buy one?

I've seen them on sale both races right beside the registration marquee. Not sure how much. A tenner maybe ? You can see a few people wearing them in the race photos (www.actionphotography.ie).

On-line entry for St Anne's race closed last night but we have reopened today in response to numerous phone and e-mail appeals from those "fence sitters" who were waiting to enter on the day:)

Run Ireland will close tonight and there will be no last minute or on the day entries taken as we are at over 700 already!

Should be a nice day out in our original Urban Trails Venue with local farmers market and cafe nearby at the Red Stables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Rolobadge

Anyone have a map of route for St. Annes?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Race results now up at Event Website

All timing queries to uts@redtagtiming.com :cool:

Advertisement