Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

That program on TV3 about begging

• 21-02-2012 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone see it tonight, that program by Paul connoly about begging in ireland? thought it was quite interesting.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

RTE and TV3 are really doing there best to give a bad name to the most vulnerable people in society.

People on the dole
    Beggers
    Next week: Sick people?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭CajunOnTour

cloud493 wrote: »
    Anyone see it tonight, that program by Paul connoly about begging in ireland? thought it was quite interesting.

Never watch RTE.

Bad enough having to pay for it under threat of violence and incarceration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Dunno why they're covering this topic, it's already been covered in this seminal piece by Alison O'Riordan. http://www.independent.ie/national-news/the-humiliation-of-begging-for-a-day-on-dublins-mean-streets-2200548.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I saw it, actually, and want to point out that I've never seen anyone heckled by a group of beggers outside the Savoy cinema, despite walking past it four times a day, and so I suspect that part was staged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Never watch RTE.

Bad enough having to pay for it under threat of violence and incarceration.

It wasn't on RTE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

the other day i was waiting for a bus when a man asked me for some money to get a bus. normally i would just say no but this man looked and seemed like a stand-up gentleman. i gave him around 1.70.
    he then proceeded to walk away and never return, without even trying to disguise the fact he had just lied through his teeth.
    moral of the story......

i hate beggers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

Don't forget the most vulnerable of them all, travellers !! Poor individuals driving around in their BMW X5's and Audi Q7's. My heart bleeds for em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Quite right, tv3 :o my apologies. I've been in those areas loads of times, never been harassed like that anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

How many times are TV3 gonna show that documentary?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I watched a few minutes of it and it was poor. The guy had only 2 or maybe 3 questions in his hat for anyone. Just really vague, "So what is the craic... really like, tell me...." that seemed to be the style of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

Well I nearly lost it when the one said she was getting €420 social welfare.Please tell me that was fabricated also:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

RTE and TV3 are really doing there best to give a bad name to the most vulnerable people in society.

People on the dole
    Beggers

The programme tonight - for those that didn't watch it - stated that for all the rumours abounding at times about organised begging groups led by gang leaders, was in fact unfounded and that the journalist doing research over many months (and filmed them for that long) stated that he found NO instances of a lot of the stuff Rome beggars were accused of.

I though the Roma beggars actually came out of the programme in good light.
    The journalist showed that they while making very small money actually per day, they were not earning the massive amounts the usual crap Sunday rags spew out in possible flaming reporting, hyping up numbers for the sake of trying to sell their ink and paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭pockets3d

People on the dole
    Beggers

You left out illiterate fisticuffians

jluv wrote: »
    Well I nearly lost it when the one said she was getting €420 social welfare.Please tell me that was fabricated also:eek:

Thats quite possible if ma and da is not working - also if they have four kids.
    The numbers (the last time I checked) add up to something like that.

To be equally fair, many, many Irish citizens born here are getting same and/or entitled to similar.

Biggins wrote: »
    Thats quite possible if ma and da is not working - also if they have four kids.
    The numbers (the last time I checked) add up to something like that.

To be equally fair, many, many Irish citizens born here are getting same and/or entitled to similar.
    Ah well off to work for me tomorrow. Only 1 kid. Can't claim for ma and da. But was shocked by figure.Didn't even think a family with a few kids got that much. But then don't know the system as others do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I thought the programme was going to be about chuggers.

A far more pernicious blight on society to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

That beggar in Dublin who has the rabbit and the dog was interviewed on the radio today.

Seems he's been homeless for 25 years. But I thought he got offered a job with a farmer in Roscommon after he jumped into the Liffey to save the rabbit.

Anyone know anything about this?

But yeah his report kinda put paid to the notion that it was an organised thing and that there was thousands being made from it..

Ah well off to work for me tomorrow. Only 1 kid. Can't claim for ma and da. But was shocked by figure.Didn't even think a family with a few kids got that much. But then don't know the system as others do!

See here for the kids rates which add up - then add on the rate for two unemployed parents from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

People on the dole
    Beggers

Clearly you didn't actually watch the programme, because it actually went to disprove this image of roman beggers and RTE had nothing to do with it. So how about watching the thing before commenting next time eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

See here for the kids rates which add up - then add on the rate for two unemployed parents from here.

That was a very interesting read actually, never really knew how much people made/could make on social welfare.

That was a very interesting read actually, never really knew how much people made/could make on social welfare.

...Then if your able to do it (and some do it - NOT saying its the Roma!), some double-claim across the border based on similar family numbers and say they live up there (and not in the south).

It one racket alone that the present welfare people are trying to crack down on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

amacachi wrote: »
    Dunno why they're covering this topic, it's already been covered in this seminal piece by Alison O'Riordan. http://www.independent.ie/national-news/the-humiliation-of-begging-for-a-day-on-dublins-mean-streets-2200548.html

A national treasure, that girl. Ireland's rose. A candle in the wind. The peoples journalist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

...Then if your able to do it (and some do it - NOT saying its the Roma!), some double-claim across the border based on similar family numbers and say they live up there (and not in the south).

It one racket alone that the present welfare people are trying to crack down on.

I never really thought about just how much money some people were getting through both legal and illegal methods. Never been on SW myself (Being 21 I don't have much to claim) I would feel so dishonest though if I was claiming twice, I like to pay my way and feel like I'm actually contributing to society :(

...I like to pay my way and feel like I'm actually contributing to society :(

Good to hear. Fair play to you. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Clearly you didn't actually watch the programme, because it actually went to disprove this image of roman beggers and RTE had nothing to do with it. So how about watching the thing before commenting next time eh?
    Nope I didn't. My comment was an observation about what particular areas of a social scale that both channels seem determined to expose flaws in.
    That's all it was. I don't need to watch anything. I appreciate your concerns though. Rawr! :D

Ye might not hear from me for a while but don't be worried..I'm just reserching SW as I must fit in somewhere..No thats not me... My parents have a lot to answer for..I could be lying in in the morning if it wasn't for them:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Ye might not hear from me for a while but don't be worried..I'm just reserching SW as I must fit in somewhere..No thats not me... My parents have a lot to answer for..I could be lying in in the morning if it wasn't for them:mad:
    Yep. Because that's exactly how everyone on the brew feels about the position they're in - "It's a great way to get a few more hours in the scratcher every morning".

:rolleyes:

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Yep. Because that's exactly how everyone on the brew feels about the position they're in - "It's a great way to get a few more hours in the scratcher every morning".

:rolleyes:
    Thats the problem with text and written word. The tone of the comment is not there. I really was only joking...

• Advertisement
Advertisement