Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-02-2012, 21:11   #16
Artur.PL

Quote:
During the 1980s RTÉ had one of the lowest TV licences in Europe including Eastern Countries.
I can't get it.
Advertisement
19-02-2012, 21:25   #17
Elmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artur.PL View Post
I can't get it.
What I am saying is that the RTÉ were under political pressure during the end of the 1980s and up to then and even then Ireland was in a very bad recession, so an increase in the Licence fee wasn't something that was going to be given very quickly.

Ray Burke, the Minister for Communications and Justice in the FF/PD government, want to squash RTÉ. He limited the amount they could make on advertising, he insisted that they sell a portion of Cablelink (now part of UPC) to Telecom Éireann (Now Eircom) and at the same time they rescued Ardmore studios. So their schedule from the 1980s might have been poor but this is down to the level of funding available, which as low as Eastern Block Countries and lower, e.g. Poland. (no offence).

Also during this time RTÉ hosted one of the most expensive Eurovisions. Now they didn't have to create the monster that is now the Eurovision Set.

Last edited by Elmo; 19-02-2012 at 21:44.
Thanks from:
19-02-2012, 21:28   #18
Artur.PL

what exactly means that RTE had lowest TV licenses?
19-02-2012, 21:57   #19
Elmo

Quote:
what exactly means that RTE had lowest TV licenses?
The funding that RTÉ received from the state/public. It was one of the lowest in Europe if not the lowest. Sorry, bad grammar and spelling, I have become very lazy with my posts lately.

Last edited by Elmo; 19-02-2012 at 22:01.
Thanks from:
19-02-2012, 22:23   #20
Artur.PL

Let's say 50/50: my English level and yours "bad grammar and spelling".
Just joking, that probably was my fault.

I read somewhere on the internet that Irish TV was so poor that bought polish cartoon Bolek and Lolek because was very cheap and author of that page found it boring. I was always enjoying that cartoon when I was a kid.

It is hard to compare how much money both TV's were receiving from the state and public but comparison can be a bit risky because mass media were very important for the communists, so sometimes they were very generous for TV.

Last edited by Artur.PL; 19-02-2012 at 22:37.
Advertisement
19-02-2012, 22:36   #21
Elmo

Quote:
Let's say 50/50: my English level and yours "bad grammar and spelling".
Just joking, that probably was my fault.

I read somewhere on the internet that Irish TV was so poor that bought polish cartoon Bolek and Lolek because was very cheap and author of that page found it boring. I was always enjoying that cartoon when I was a kid.
If it is the weird psychedelic cartoon with the green man floating around different shapes for about 10 minutes, which was I think some soviet mind-control, then yes.

But looking at the net, I don't remember it. Though the music does sound very familiar.

Heres some bosco for you

Last edited by Elmo; 19-02-2012 at 22:42.
19-02-2012, 22:50   #22
Artur.PL

Quote:
If it is the weird psychedelic cartoon with the green man floating around different shapes for about 10 minutes
That had to be made in USSR
I've no idea what was that.

But I remember Bolek and Lolek as very good cartoon. If you ask Pole over 30 years old about that cartoon you can hear only good opinions(I hope ).

I have to tell you that in 80s mostly we could watch Eastern European cartoons only and the first West cartoon I remember were Smurfs.

Bosco is similar to Polish programs I could watch.

Last edited by Artur.PL; 19-02-2012 at 22:53.
19-02-2012, 22:59   #23
Elmo

Quote:
That had to be made in USSR
I've no idea what was that.

But I remember Bolek and Lolek as very good cartoon. If you ask Pole over 30 years old about that cartoon you can hear only good opinions(I hope ).

I have to tell you that in 80s mostly we could watch Eastern European cartoons only and the first West cartoon I remember were Smurfs.

Bosco is similar to Polish programs I could watch.
Ah the smurfs from the west well not so west, east to us, think that B&L were just before my time.

We had a lot of French cartoons but made up by Zig and Zag slagging them off and generally slagging off the generally poor Children's programming available.

He is basically singing: - Where are you? Where are you? Where are you Shaughnessy? I stand up, I stand up.

Last edited by Elmo; 19-02-2012 at 23:01.
19-02-2012, 23:13   #24
Artur.PL

according to irish-tv.com
Quote:
Broadcasting hours were much more restrictive in the early 70s than at any other time before or since. Children's programmes in particular were hard to come by on RTÉ television, especially during the summer when programmes did not start until 6pm.
Not a lot of money was spent on indigenous children's programmes with the honorable exception of Wanderly Wagon. The rest seemed to be spent on hideous Czech or Polish cartoons such as Professor Balthazar or worse still, Lolek and Bolek.
What made Lolek and Bolek really awful viewing however, wasn't so much the cartoons themselves, which whilst boring and unfunny were fairly harmless. What put the icing on the cake was the wildly over the top introductions by the various continuity announcers - allegedly it turns out years later that a jar was kept by the announcer's desk. 50p coins were tossed into the jar each time an announcement for Lolek and Bolek was made - the announcer who had made the most over the top announcement in a week would win the jar's contents each week!
and it was still popular in Poland during 80's. My mistake, sorry.

Watching children's channel TV guide I'm still thinking to download this kind of cartoons for my almost 2 years old son( how long can you watch Peppa Pig- his favourite )
or:
Reksio the composer

Last edited by Artur.PL; 19-02-2012 at 23:16.
Advertisement
20-02-2012, 00:07   #25
Elmo

Quote:
according to irish-tv.com

and it was still popular in Poland during 80's. My mistake, sorry.

Watching children's channel TV guide I'm still thinking to download this kind of cartoons for my almost 2 years old son( how long can you watch Peppa Pig- his favourite )
Yeah, it was the 70s maybe early 80s, I didn't get to see them but I would love to see a clip of the most over the top introduction to the show.
20-02-2012, 12:55   #26
Artur.PL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
We had a lot of French cartoons but made up by Zig and Zag slagging them off and generally slagging off the generally poor Children's programming available.
Actually childern's programming in Polish TV was quite strong. There were morning programs and more about 4 p.m. During the summer and winter holidays children's section was expanded.
20-02-2012, 13:27   #27
Elmo

Quote:
Actually childern's programming in Polish TV was quite strong. There were morning programs and more about 4 p.m. During the summer and winter holidays children's section was expanded.
I wouldn't say children's programming wasn't strong, just some of the EBU Cartoons seemed to be broadcast just because RTÉ were part of the EBU.

The Den, Australian programming (at least from the early 1990s), BBC shows and US TV. Made for some great children's TV. Also some Canadian programmes were good.

Personally Blue Peter and Playschool were huge disappointments, I was seriously surprised at the pedestal that such shows where put on by others. And also IMO we are brought up to think everything Irish is crap. <<<< though wait for the responses on that one

Kids programming was reduced during summer months on the idea that children are out playing. (IMO)

Sure Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle were produced in Ireland Not by an Irish company but still, and voiced by Americans.
07-04-2012, 02:01   #28
Onthe3rdDay

Pages from The RTV Guide from 1962 and 1965 are now up on

http://brandnewretro.ie/2012/04/04/r...ule-1962-1965/
13-03-2013, 21:27   #29
stereomatic

Hopefully you will see the front cover of an RTE guide that is 40 years old that is older than me and older than the house that it was found in
If I have succeeded I will post more
Thanks from:
13-03-2013, 22:23   #30
mike65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthe3rdDay View Post
Pages from The RTV Guide from 1962 and 1965 are now up on

http://brandnewretro.ie/2012/04/04/r...ule-1962-1965/
Those RTE shots are truly of a different age and culture, I remember how things were in the 70s when it was still wall to wall Catholic doctrine but you would at least get to watch the Passion of the Gospel According to Matthew (or whatever it was called )

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion