Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 inch cassini map

Options
  • 16-02-2012 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hello,

On the site and monument database you can gain access to via the archaeology.ie website, you can view the whole country of Ireland on a 6 inch cassini map. I couldn't find what year that map was published or who it was compiled by anywhere on it. I suspect it might be O'Donovan's 1837 map. Is that correct? It's just that I am using it in print and need to reference it. I would be grateful if anybody could answer my question.

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

dubhda wrote: »
    Hello,

On the site and monument database you can gain access to via the archaeology.ie website, you can view the whole country of Ireland on a 6 inch cassini map. I couldn't find what year that map was published or who it was compiled by anywhere on it. I suspect it might be O'Donovan's 1837 map. Is that correct? It's just that I am using it in print and need to reference it. I would be grateful if anybody could answer my question.

Cheers.
    This should help. Click the 'Archive Origins' pop up.:)
    http://shop.osi.ie/Shop/Products/Default.aspx#historic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Cassini refers to OS maps made using the Cassini surveying technique.

The first edition of the OS maps were produced between 1829 and 46. The second edition were produced between 1853-1902. The third edition was produced from 1900-1924.

The first edition didn't include field boundaries hence the overlap with the second edition. The third edition was to update boundaries in the wake of the settlement of the land issue in Ireland.

If you tell me what county/counties you are looking for I can give you the date.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

The first edition didn't include field boundaries?

The OS started their work in the northeast i.e. antrim and derry and worked toward the southwest i.e. finishing in kerry. The earliest maps didn't include all field boundaries (just townland boundaries and prominent physical features). Therefore, a revision of the first edition for the northeast began before the entire first edition was complete.

So when did revision of the first edition begin, do you know, Professor?
    :D

• Advertisement

It was Donegal in 1848 of course!

I have a print out from Trinity map library with the dates for all the revisions and the like. I can't find the link now though, I think their website has changed.

I'll scan the relevant pages and post them up here, It'll be a couple of days before I can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭ozmo

Gee Bag wrote: »
    It was Donegal in 1848 of course!

I have a print out from Trinity map library with the dates for all the revisions and the like. I can't find the link now though, I think their website has changed.

I'll scan the relevant pages and post them up here, It'll be a couple of days before I can do it.

If you go

maps.osi.ie

And select Historic 6" maps
    then press Buy Maps
    Then press option to show "A0 Sheets with Borders" on this new dialog

it will show graphically all these sheets for Ireland and the survey dates.

same is possible with the 1900's 25" inch maps.

(unrelated - but useful - The overlay slider on that page is also useful for the historic maps as it allows you to merge the new and old maps - see whats still there etc.)

193160.jpg

“Roll it back”

That's brilliant info.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 dubhda

slowburner wrote: »
    That's brilliant info.:)
    Brilliant info surely. My question is answered. Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭JR79

Gee Bag wrote: »
    Cassini refers to OS maps made using the Cassini surveying technique.

The first edition of the OS maps were produced between 1829 and 46. The second edition were produced between 1853-1902. The third edition was produced from 1900-1924.

The first edition didn't include field boundaries hence the overlap with the second edition. The third edition was to update boundaries in the wake of the settlement of the land issue in Ireland.

If you tell me what county/counties you are looking for I can give you the date.

I have studied the first and third editions quite alot on osi.ie and before they went online. I though we only had the 1829-46 & 1900-24 maps never knew about 1853-1902, where can I get access to this. I thought the only one in between was the Griffiths valuation maps?

• Advertisement

JR79 wrote: »
    I have studied the first and third editions quite alot on osi.ie and before they went online. I though we only had the 1829-46 & 1900-24 maps never knew about 1853-1902, where can I get access to this. I thought the only one in between was the Griffiths valuation maps?

There are also a few other collections here

http://gis.sdublincoco.ie/historical_mapping/?x=303343&y=234943

OSI Current Mapping
    Aerial Photography (2009)
    GSGS 4136 (1942)
    GSGS 3906 (1940)
    Fourth Edition OS Maps (1935-38)
    Third Edition OS Maps (1911-12)
    First Edition OS Maps (1843)
    Duncan (1821)
    Taylor (1816)
    Rocque (1760)

Unfortunately - it only covers South Dublin - if anyone knows where to get these for online - Id be interested in a copy of Rocque Duncan or Taylor era for North and West Dublin... :)

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CHorn

ozmo wrote: »
    There are also a few other collections here

http://gis.sdublincoco.ie/historical_mapping/?x=303343&y=234943

Unfortunately - it only covers South Dublin - if anyone knows where to get these for online - Id be interested in a copy of Rocque Duncan or Taylor era for North and West Dublin... :)
    Just wondering if you ever found a good source for North Dublin, specifically Howth in the period 1850-1900? Thanks for any help.

CHorn wrote: »
    Just wondering if you ever found a good source for North Dublin, specifically Howth in the period 1850-1900? Thanks for any help.

That south Dublin map has been updated to include a greater area than previously - Now covers some of Dublin North & West as well... Half of Howth is there for 1760 if that's any use.

Here is the new current link:

http://sdublincoco.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=e0c5595b033341dea7661e248d2e9ee9

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CHorn

ozmo wrote: »
    That south Dublin map has been updated to include a greater area than previously - Now covers some of Dublin North & West as well... Half of Howth is there for 1760 if that's any use.

Here is the new current link:

http://sdublincoco.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=e0c5595b033341dea7661e248d2e9ee9

Thanks for this (apologies for delay in reply). I did find the OSI site useful, which could get me back to both before and after the GNR tram line that ran around the peninsula from 1901.

I'm now looking for anything map-wise from the 1920s and 30s. There's mention above earlier here of a Third OS Cassini Edition of maps covering the period 1900-24, if it has any information to 1924 that would be useful. There's also mention above earlier here of the following:

GSGS 4136 (1942)
    GSGS 3906 (1940)
    Fourth Edition OS Maps (1935-38)

The latter of which would be particularly handy. My understanding of the GSGS 1940 & 1942 is that they were largely driven by WWII needs and based on much earlier (1911-12?) maps. Some of the links mentioned in the thread aren't working any more (the OS map shop has moved and doesn't work as before).

Any help/pointers appreciated and my links here to hopefully help others looking too (the OSI links can be used as a start to anywhere in Ireland).

Advertisement