Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NIB Bank Charges

Options
  • 31-01-2012 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Anyone heard about changes to NIB current accounts ? Got a phonecall to tell me that the Bank were going to move me from my free current a/c (Free, if in credit) to a new 24/7 account. They wanted to discuss the benefits of the new accounts on offer. It soon transpired that the benefits were to them i.e. a quarterly fee (€18.75 per qtr)or fee per transaction :eek:. This may be a stupid question but are they allowed to change the terms like this ? Anyone else have this experience or hear about it.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Going to move or want you to move.

There's a difference between forcibly moving you, and trying to upsell you to a new product.

And yes, they can change the terms on an existing account if sufficient notice is given.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭homer911

NIB Marketed one of their current accounts as the "Freebank" current account - hardly seems reasonable that they should start to charge for it.

I'll wait to see if I get a letter.

Recently received a letter to say NIB would no longer accept cheque lodgments in their branches from next April!! Nuts! If we cant lodge cash or cheques, why bother with a branch network at all??

I'm paying €40 a year for an investment account that i do very little with - if they slap on more charges I will have to think again. A shame as their internet banking is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

NIB recently got rid of free banking for new customers. More here: http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=165616

JOBSOXO - Did they force you to change? or was it voluntary? Can't you just say no? :)

Advertisement