Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to take Protein Powder

Options
  • 30-01-2012 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hey Folks , Quick Qs .I recently started training again with the goal of losing a little bit of weight and toning/bulking up a bit as well. I do 40 minutes weights , a 6/7 km run and a 30 minute swim 4 nights a week and a big session at the weekend , hours weights , 10 km run and 40 minute swim. I have started taking protein powder as I dont think I am getting enough in my diet. Most of the online advise says to take the protein in the 20 minutes after weights but is that different for me seeing as I continue with my cardio exercise. So my Qs is should i take the protein powder after my weights which I do first or wait until after my swim when I am completely finished everything.

Thanks Guys

Jefe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Id say take a full scoop after a workout and maybe 1/2 a scoop along with a piece of fruit or something before training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭El Jefe

Id say take a full scoop after a workout and maybe 1/2 a scoop along with a piece of fruit or something before training.

Thats pretty much the same time though. At the moment when I am finished my weights I drink the protein shake and about 10 minutes later start my cardio work. Will the cardio take from the effects of the shake , might be a stupid Qs but I am pretty new to this.

El Jefe wrote: »
    Thats pretty much the same time though. At the moment when I am finished my weights I drink the protein shake and about 10 minutes later start my cardio work. Will the cardio take from the effects of the shake , might be a stupid Qs but I am pretty new to this.

Pre-workout is eating/drinking before you workout
    peri-workout is eating/drinking your workout
    Post-workout is eating/drinking after your workout

I think its good that you are doing your weight training before before cardio but you are essentially having your postworkout shake during a workout.
    There's nothing really wrong with this as such.

You could have 1/2 a scoop of whey before your workout, another 1/2 scoop after weights but before cardio and a full scoop when you are completely finished the entire workout.

how long is a session of weights and cardio taking you?

Pre-workout is eating/drinking before you workout
    peri-workout is eating/drinking your workout
    Post-workout is eating/drinking after your workout

I think its good that you are doing your weight training before before cardio but you are essentially having your postworkout shake during a workout.
    There's nothing really wrong with this as such.

You could have 1/2 a scoop of whey before your workout, another 1/2 scoop after weights but before cardio and a full scoop when you are completely finished the entire workout.

how long is a session of weights and cardio taking you?

Weights 40 mins
    Running 40-55 mins
    Swimming 30 mins

Thanks Liam , appreciate the advise. Another Qs , i am already a big enough guy , I am 6ft3 and 220 pounds. I want to tone muscle and build up a small bit. I am watching what I eat and dont eat more than 1700 cals a day. With the amount of cardio i do , will it be very hard for me to bulk up a small bit, What i really dont want is to lose weight around shoulders , arms and chest but worried that i wil with all my cardio. Hopefully the swimming should help tone too though.

Jefe

El Jefe wrote: »
    Weights 40 mins
    Running 40-55 mins
    Swimming 30 mins

Thanks Liam , appreciate the advise. Another Qs , i am already a big enough guy , I am 6ft3 and 220 pounds. I want to tone muscle and build up a small bit. I am watching what I eat and dont eat more than 1700 cals a day. With the amount of cardio i do , will it be very hard for me to bulk up a small bit, What i really dont want is to lose weight around shoulders , arms and chest but worried that i wil with all my cardio. Hopefully the swimming should help tone too though.

Jefe

At that height and weight, you are under eating by quite a long way.

Your maintenance calories would be 220lbx x 14 so 3080 kcals.

Im 6'1" and about 212 and im dieting at the moment and Im hitting a minimum of 2500-2600 kcals at the moment.

Id increase the kcals a little if i were you, up to 2500 or so, that way you are still running a deficit.

Also, is all your cardio steady state cardio?

• Advertisement

At that height and weight, you are under eating by quite a long way.

Your maintenance calories would be 220lbx x 14 so 3080 kcals.

Im 6'1" and about 212 and im dieting at the moment and Im hitting a minimum of 2500-2600 kcals at the moment.

Id increase the kcals a little if i were you, up to 2500 or so, that way you are still running a deficit.

Also, is all your cardio steady state cardio?

I suppose i am more concerned with toning up and losing a bit of weight than bulking up but dont want to get skinny either, so yea maybe i should increase cals a bit. My cardio is a 3km run 3 minute fast walk uphill and another 3-4km run followed by 30 minute continuous swim.

Advertisement