Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-11-2011, 14:29   #16
Seres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrogirl View Post
I'd like to make the point that Jampa Ling and Dzogchen Beara most certaintly DO charge for their services - you can get a reduced fee in certain circumstances, but there is a charge, much more substantial than what is charged by the Dublin Buddhist Centre, which will never turn anyone away because of inability to pay
In the West, Buddhist centres are not automatically supported by dana (offerings from the general public) as are the monasteries and temples in the Far East, where the populations are Buddhist. Hence the need to charge in the West, and laso because in this culture, people value what they pay for.
Metta to all!
Macrogirl x
Jampa ling run Meditation classes on a tuesday night which they do not charge for . This is a free service .
People value what they pay for BUT they also expect to get something in return if they pay . I thought the whole idea of Buddism was that if someone got something positive from the free teachings that they would by there own volition want to donate so other could get the opportunity to experience something similar .
Advertisement
06-01-2012, 17:34   #17
Joshua Jones
Closed Account

Hi all.

I was just wondering if any of you know about meditation classes in the Letterkenny/Donegal area. Tried google and also a post in the region forum but nothing so far. Any help would be appeciated.

As an aside, is it possible to attend a buddhist meditation class without actually being Budhist.
07-01-2012, 09:35   #18
gnu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Jones View Post
Hi all.

I was just wondering if any of you know about meditation classes in the Letterkenny/Donegal area. Tried google and also a post in the region forum but nothing so far. Any help would be appeciated.

As an aside, is it possible to attend a buddhist meditation class without actually being Budhist.
Hi there,

To go backwards and answer your second question first, yes it certainly is! Any meditation groups or retreats I've been on have emphasised how meditation is for everyone, for all religions or none. When I first attended a Buddhist centre, I was worried about the rituals and it was suggested to me that I just sit quietly for any ritual bits (like chanting, reciting prayers, prostrations or bowing) that I didn't understand or feel comfortable with.

I'm in Dublin so not ideally placed to answer your other question but on retreat in Gaia House, I read of meditation group in Donegal (don't know whereabouts) led by Aoife Valley.
Here's her website - if she doesn't have something to suit you, perhaps she could suggest alternatives.

Hope you find somewhere suitable.
Thanks from:
09-01-2012, 05:24   #19
Asiaprod
Why is Bellybutton Fluff always Blue

Quote:
Most definitely. Meditation is a tool that is used by many beliefs, but it is not confined to, nor exclusively owned by, any belief system. There are of course a million varieties of meditation, with a million sought for destinations, but essentially meditation is open to anyone that can get anything out of it. Anyone that I know that has tried it has received numerous benefits.

Where I think belief systems come into play is that meditation does open the mind to seeking for higher meaning and this search inevitably leads one to explore different belief systems. Take my case, I am as ardent Buddhist, but very interested in, and currently exploring, the hindu cosmology system. I chant, I meditate.
10-01-2012, 21:28   #20
Mercurius
Closed Account

Quote:

I attend a Zen dojo in Dublin, and I'm not a Buddhist.

I go along, do the meditation, and I'll even join in the chanting at the end, which is a sutra in Japanese, but I've never so much as mentioned Buddhism with anyone there, or even heard it discussed.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-01-2012, 21:09   #21
RichieC
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurius View Post
I attend a Zen dojo in Dublin, and I'm not a Buddhist.

I go along, do the meditation, and I'll even join in the chanting at the end, which is a sutra in Japanese, but I've never so much as mentioned Buddhism with anyone there, or even heard it discussed.
this is good to hear actually, I'd really like to learn more about meditation but don't really want to go buddist.
17-01-2012, 21:15   #22
Mercurius
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieC View Post
this is good to hear actually, I'd really like to learn more about meditation but don't really want to go buddist.
I go because I practice the meditation better in a group (peer pressure kinda keeps my body still) and for longer than I would on my own.

The dojo's handy, so I go there.

And I think the Zen guys are the least 'dogmatic' (not sure if that's the right word here, no offence), so I've never heard any Buddhism discussed, though no doubt they would if I asked.

There's any amount of ways to meditate, if that's what you're after. It doesn't have to be in a Buddhist context.
22-01-2012, 15:41   #23
conor.hogan.2

Being scared into meditation is not really how it is supposed to work.
23-01-2012, 09:10   #24
Mercurius
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor.hogan.2 View Post
Being scared into meditation is not really how it is supposed to work.
Scared?

I meant I tend to fidget less if I'm in a group setting. Nothing to do with fear.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
29-05-2012, 09:45   #25
Jessi_Evans

I take meditation classes in Dublin with these guys yogadublin.org, and I am very happy with them. They charge small fee but its well worthed in my oppinion. The teacher even told me how to extract and apply the meditation teachings in my day to day life. Its a lot of fun and since the beginning of my practice I have found many improvements in all areas of my life. If money is problem for you just join their newsltter and you will get a whole online program of yoga and meditation completely free. Believe me I have purchased many courses and this one is far better than most of them and its free.

Hope that helps

Jessy
06-06-2012, 15:22   #26
Vinny-Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrogirl View Post
Glad you enjoyed the meditation, I've been doing it for about 3 yrs now and have found it nothing less than life-changing
Good classes at the Dublin Buddhist Centre - they will negotiate the price if you can't afford it
http://www.dublinbuddhistcentre.org/
- and you don't have to become a Buddhist!
Macrogirl
I'd also second Macrogirl's post here. The Dublin Buddhist Centre is a great centre. After completing the foundation meditation course you can go along every Tuesday night to the Mastering The Basics night, which has discussions on meditation and Buddhism, if it's something you're interested in. Also note, you will be hard pressed to found any Buddhists who will try to convert you. Buddhism is a path you must take yourself.

Also on the point of charging for meditation classes. Unfortunately the likes of the ESB, Insurance companies etc are unwilling to negotiate on prices because you're spreading the Dharma

Most Buddhist Centres in the West are self funded and the majority of the funding comes from classes. Every place has over heads, of course they should be able to charge for their service.

I would say the fee I paid when I was learning to meditate was the best money I ever spent.
01-02-2013, 14:50   #27
anotherjd

I know there are Mediation classes being run from Jan 2013 in Donabate, if anyone is interested.
They are part of the new The StillRoom blog holistic/cultural center in Donabate.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion