Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programming for traders?

Options
  • 18-01-2012 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hello,
    So got a WP job as a programmer for traders. I'm not into finance, business and have tried to avoid it all my life but without succeeding ha :rolleyes:
    Not really into maths either, I can if I really put my mind into it.
    But I also like programming, and I've been told I'd learn things along the way. But I'd like to hear from those who writes code for traders, I'd imagine the job would be very stressful. Do you have to know all that stuff about EFTs, Futures :S, I'd start reading on them soon. I suppose it is math intensive as well.
    Would like to read your experience thanks.
    The point is sure I can write code, but I'm not smart - super smart and wondering if I will be competent, as I know trading companies employ super smart folks :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

I'd be interested to hear more of what your doing ..
    Had you much or any programming done before the WP ?
    What sort of stuff are you working on/with ?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman_321

Yeah, but just mainly college stuff. I have some C/C++/Java (script)/PHP knowledge. All I can say is I will be working with C# and Java, but I'm really worried about the amount of maths and business that maybe involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Eman_321 wrote: »
    I'm really worried about the amount of maths

Maths is actually easy if it is thought right.

In college my teacher would always start with a blank whiteboard and build up any new theories from scratch, so we actually understand why we were doing something rather than just learning off abstract formulas.

It meant in exams if I had a question I could work out the theory and apply it to the question.

But the problem is finding a teacher who actually fully understands what they are talking about! You could get grinds I guess and try a few people until you find one who suits...

Advertisement