Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-01-2012, 16:33   #1
shazza07

Carlow or Kilkenny

Thinking of booking a weekend away for myself & hubby (mid 30s). Can't decide Carlow or Kilkenny. Hotel nicer in Carlow but a bit close to home (not that that really matters but..)
Kilkenny hotel not as nice. I know Kilkenny more lively but was there a few years back and couldn't move with all the stag & hen parties
So 2 questions: Is there much nitelife in Carlow & is Kilkenny still as crazy as it used to be or where we just in the wrong area??
Cheers
Advertisement
12-01-2012, 22:54   #2
PaulKK

What hotel were you looking at in Carlow as a matter of interest?

Quite a few nice hotels in Kilkenny to choose from...

I would reccomend Kilkenny, its a nicer place to walk around, better selection of resteraunts, and the nightlife won't be too busy at this time of year.
13-01-2012, 17:39   #3
shazza07

Thanks Paul the hotel in Carlow is the Killerig resort hotel. I know it's not in Carlow town but got a great deal.

The one im looking at in Kilkenny is the Aspect hotel (used to be the 'days hotel' I think). I'd prefer Kilkenny but Killerig is cheaper & a nicer hotel..
14-01-2012, 00:36   #4
PaulKK

Yea it was the days alright.

It depends what you are looking for really, if you want to go out for a few drinks at night and have a good choice of resteraunts etc, or ramble around during the day doing some shopping or getting a bite of lunch or whatever then I would suggest Kilkenny.

If you are just going to chill in the hotel then maybe the Killerig is for you.

The only thing is the Killerig is a bit outside Carlow, so its awkward if you want to go in to Carlow in the evening for a meal, drinks etc.

Have you stayed in the Killerig by the way? Just looking at the pics it doesn't look anything overly special?

By the way, I would suggest the Newpark over the "Aspect", plus its cheaper on Hotels.com @ 220 in total for 2 weekend nights:
http://goo.gl/5sC2f

The Pembroke is also very well located and they do 99 euro advanced purchase per night: http://www.kilkennypembrokehotel.com/

No harm giving them a bell either and see what they'll do for you

Last edited by PaulKK; 14-01-2012 at 00:53.
Thanks from:
14-01-2012, 13:54   #5
shazza07

Thanks Paul

Quote:
It depends what you are looking for really, if you want to go out for a few drinks at night and have a good choice of resteraunts etc, or ramble around during the day doing some shopping or getting a bite of lunch or whatever then I would suggest Kilkenny.
Yeah have decided Kilkenny would suit us better

Quote:
Have you stayed in the Killerig by the way? Just looking at the pics it doesn't look anything overly special?
No never stayed there before

Quote:
By the way, I would suggest the Newpark over the "Aspect", plus its cheaper on Hotels.com @ 220 in total for 2 weekend nights:
http://goo.gl/5sC2f
Ive checked out newpark, looks good going to give them a ring

Thanks again Paul for all your help
Advertisement
16-01-2012, 16:15   #6
Nothingbetter2d
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazza07 View Post
Thanks Paul the hotel in Carlow is the Killerig resort hotel. I know it's not in Carlow town but got a great deal.

The one im looking at in Kilkenny is the Aspect hotel (used to be the 'days hotel' I think). I'd prefer Kilkenny but Killerig is cheaper & a nicer hotel..
killerig hotel is off out in the arsehole of nowhere and is part of a golf club. expect to use taxis in and out if you want a night out in carlow town.

If you and your hubby like golf then killerig is for you. Ive never had the food in the hotel part but the Golf club bar do some decent pub grub... huge portions too.

Ive fixed the golf club's handicap system computer a few times when my mum was Lady Captain there

Last edited by Nothingbetter2d; 16-01-2012 at 16:19.
18-01-2012, 20:39   #7
shazza07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothingbetter2d View Post
killerig hotel is off out in the arsehole of nowhere and is part of a golf club. expect to use taxis in and out if you want a night out in carlow town.

If you and your hubby like golf then killerig is for you. Ive never had the food in the hotel part but the Golf club bar do some decent pub grub... huge portions too.
Kilkenny booked

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion