Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sash Windows

Options
  • 17-01-2012 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,
    I have some old sash windows from a renovation on my house a few years ago, but since then they have just been sitting in my shed. They are antiques but have no frame with them. They are pitch pine antiques from the 1840's. Any ideas on they're value,

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Zero I should think - why not make a greenhouse with them? If you had the cast window weights they might be of some value. Bolgers http://www.wjbolger.ie/ used to buy the old weights. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Judgement is right..they're worth nothing..you could make a decent cold frame with them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

esmith wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have some old sash windows from a renovation on my house a few years ago, but since then they have just been sitting in my shed. They are antiques but have no frame with them. They are pitch pine antiques from the 1840's. Any ideas on they're value,

thanks

I would absolutely love them for my house. All the sash windows were ripped out in the 1990s by the previous owners. No offence, but taking out original sash windows from a property is downright vandalism in my opinion.

(unless they were beyond repair that is)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 esmith

These sash windows were ripped out by my neighbor, not me,
    (SNIP), I will upload pictures and dimensions later

Moderator Warning
    No buying or selling is permitted on this forum,please read our forum charter here ,if you wish to sell items here then an advert can be placed on www.adverts.ie and a link to that advert can be posted here in this thread which is allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

These sash windows were ripped out by my neighbor, not me.

Ok, you're off the hook...
    I would be interested (SNIP)

I bet you would. :D
    I will upload pictures and dimensions later.

Do. Thanks. :)

The problem with my place (3 storey over basement Georgian townhouse) however is that the top floor windows have smaller dimensions than the first floor windows and the ground floor window is twice the width of the first floor windows.

The latter is kind of like the one below...

Sash-Windows.jpg

....but mine is bigger again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 ollito

I've seen a few sites recently where people are selling old sash windows. Varying in price, from €20 to €50 per window, stripped. We were looking for a cheaper alternative and also wanted to get authentic georgian window with small glazing bars to replace our rotten ones. From my experience though it's difficult to get the exact size & sash thickness (unless you're replacing frames too, then there will be a little more room to play with).

You never know, someone could be willing to pay a few quid. I'd say advertise them (if you haven't already done so) ~€50 a window. It's a cheaper alternative to close on a grand, so I'm sure there will be a buyer with time.

Advertisement