Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shop On Hennesseys Road

Options
  • 14-01-2012 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

It looks like the shop on Hennesseys road is being reopened. Anyone heard any news on when or what type shop its gonna be eg. spar, daybreak or just a local shop.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I have always found it strange that shopes come and go there so quickly, I would have thought there would have been enough local trade there to keep it in business with the surrounding houses

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Depends on how you set it up at the outset

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

best of luck to whoever it is opening it,
    its good to see someone trying to have a go at things in these shytty times

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

the last chap that had the place left debts all over the town..

For some strange reason that shop dosen't do well..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Funfair wrote: »
    the last chap that had the place left debts all over the town..

For some strange reason that shop dosen't do well..

The last lad was from Tramore IIRC and they had a shop out here also (well the family did). I always thought it closed because of robberies, wasn't there an armed robbery at one stage?

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    The last lad was from Tramore IIRC and they had a shop out here also (well the family did). I always thought it closed because of robberies, wasn't there an armed robbery at one stage?

No idea about robberies, the guy was from Tramore allright, he tried hard and pumped a lot of money into the place but still didn't get the customers in..

You would think it would be a goldmine with all the houses in the area but it never seems to attract the locals in, why I don't know..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Funfair wrote: »
    No idea about robberies, the guy was from Tramore allright, he tried hard and pumped a lot of money into the place but still didn't get the customers in..

You would think it would be a goldmine with all the houses in the area but it never seems to attract the locals in, why I don't know..

Maybe its not as cheap as heading to Tesco for their shopping? Or Super Valu? Its an older estate so money could be an issue.

Maybe its not as cheap as heading to Tesco for their shopping? Or Super Valu? Its an older estate so money could be an issue.

true but even the basics.. a cup of coffee to go, a few blaa's a paper and 20 fags would be the same price in everyshop you would imagine.

I believe he struggled in this area also..

Having saying all that best of luck to the new owner hopefully he can make a living out of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Noel is in Australia now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

A brief history of shops in that area:

Many years ago the shop in that location (well I think it was an L&N MANY years ago..but more in my time...) was called The VG (I think) at the other end of that block there was a smaller shop called "mossies" and next door to that was a butchers (daveys). Soon after the VG became Bishops and was run by an eccentric and his wife, frank and Ann bishop.

Having two shops in that one area was a bit mad and there was quite the competition. In 1990 the butchers branched out and became what I can only assume was a world's first - a butchers that was also a video rental shop. A customer could be heard asking "can I have 8 slices of ham, a pork tornado and a copy of terminator 2".

When Daveys butchers closed a new shop moved In to that location called fine fare. (mosseys closed as well). I actually worked in this shop as my proper real job in around 1995/6. The shop at the end of the road was closed for a period and then reopened as "the video shack" again there was competition in that area. More changes occurred when the video shack closed and the owners of fine fare bought that unit and moved down there, again calling it fine fare but in a bigger space. Once again, there was just one shop there...until that closed a few years ago (and I had moved away from the area) so what happened from then on I'm not as sure about.

Surely some 6th class student will be doing their project on this subject so I hope they find my post interesting.

Additional chapters in this book Feature the famous "flat roofs" which were home for many years to the famous Chris Doran and a selection of lunatics and "characters".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Would those bollards by Matties Hill have killed off the passing trade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Do you mean the ones that turned roanmore park into a one way system?

Never heard of the company opening there now, odd name for a shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Slightly off topic, but I really miss Butler's shop that used to be on Mattie's hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

I had my 1st job in butlers shop loved it there :-)

I used to go down there at least once a day, so there's a good chance I know ya!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Do you mean the ones that turned roanmore park into a one way system?
    Aye, i used to drive past there, but not anymore.

Finnbar01 wrote: »

I used to go down there at least once a day, so there's a good chance I know ya!

:)

could do i used to work Tuesday night Friday night and all day Sunday

could do i used to work Tuesday night Friday night and all day Sunday

Where you there when the Butler's ran it or when Peggy took it over?

• Advertisement

was these after butlers had it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

...until that closed a few years ago (and I had moved away from the area) so what happened from then on I'm not as sure about.

I moved into Roanmore Park in 2001 until 2008. Finefare was a vey handy shop but what ruined it for me near the end was the amount of kids in there (not outside) who were just hanging around. One time I actually had to asked them to get off the fridge when I went to get some ice cream or ask them to move when getting a paper.The people who ran the shop seemed to have no problem with them.
    When the new / renovated shop opened up they did a good job, nice deli and more of a range than Finefare but again all the kids were hanging around inside the shop just being in the way, didn't stop me going there but just annoyed me.

Good luck to whoever takes it over, there's a bit of competition around with Spar on the Cork Road, Dunphys, etc.

Pity Mattie's Stores isn't around any more, they use to do a good blaa.

Advertisement