Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

00' Ford Focus Central Locking Problem

Options
  • 18-05-2011 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

During the cold weather my Central Locking failed. Found that the fuse had blown but when I replaced it, it blew again.
    Research on the Net said to individually disconnect each door to find out which one is causing the fuse to blow. (The driver door was the usual culprit )
    Disconnected the driver door lock and put in a new fuse. The passanger door mechanism was now working. Connected the driver door and now both front doors were locking/unlocking using either door.
    Decided to go to the garage and get a few more spare fuses in case they blew again. When I got back home, the rear left door was now locking/unlocking with the two front doors!!
    The only door that is'nt working is the rear right door. I disconnected the lock and connected it up again to see if it helped but no good.
    I'm better off now than I was when I started with three doors working but its strange that one door is'nt working.
    Is there a module that all the doors go through and if so where is it?? Would appreciate a little help. Thanks. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 smurf860

Hi,

Its probably a bit late for this reply now, but might as well responed anyway. I have a 2000 ford focus as well and I also have problems with my central locking. I have read over alot of solutions and lucky for you some of the straight forward one's seemed to work. Solutions I have seen inclided the fuse you spoke of.

Another solution that may be useful for you is to disconnect the central locking control unit for approx. an hour and plug back in again. This didn't solve the problem for me but is a straight forward solution that has worked for some people. It is located underneath the dash, to the right, on the drivers side of the car. You will recognise it when you see siemens written on the box. Press in on the connection and pull it out (it might be a bit stiff but it should come out). From what I have read, for those people whom this worked for, they said that the central locking worked perfectly again almost straight away.

The final problem is the problem I think I am having. The locking mechanism needs to be replaced. Either that or the wiring or connection going into this is faulty. Either try replacing this locking mechanism, or before you do this, try spraying lubricant onto the moving parts of the door locks. Dont use WD40 though. You can get lubricant for about 5 euro so no harm in trying this first before replacing the door locking mechanism.

I have a question for you. When you disconnected the door mechanism, did you need to take off the door panel, and/or have the door open. I am having a problem with my drivers door in that it wont open from the inside or outside. This happened to me before when the central locking kicked in and locked the door shut. When it kicked in again, weeks later, I sprayed lube on the locks and it worked fine after that (the central locking still didn't work though). Anyway, I was wiping down the car the last day and I think I wiped off the lube and cant open the door again. I was told by the mechanin that the lock is broke and needs to be replaced but I am almost certain it is the same problem as before. My problem is trying to get this door open in the first place. If I can disconnect it from the central locking, then it could be possible to open it again or even fix the central locking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

smurf860 wrote: »
    Hi,

Its probably a bit late for this reply now, but might as well responed anyway. I have a 2000 ford focus as well and I also have problems with my central locking.

Try this: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133249

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 smurf860

Thanks Hal1,

I tried finding and googling as much information as I could on it and never came across that link. I managed to get my drivers door open again. I disconnected the central locking control unit and connected it again, the central locking then sounded and I was able to open the drivers door with the key. The central locking still doesn't work but it was enough for me to be able to open the drivers door and spray lube on it. Now I can open and close it form the inside and outside using the key. I think the central locking follows a sequence with the doors and must have skipped the drivers door or thought that it was open or locked.

Either way I am going to try and sort out the central locking after my NCT. I was going to get a locking mechanism off a scrap yard and try that but I think I will try the solution in your link since that looks alot more expensive.

Thanks again

Advertisement