registering uk car in ireland - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-01-2012, 15:51   #1
mammu

registering uk car in ireland

Hi! I have a query, if anyone knows how it works...I was thinking to buy that volksvagen advertised here http://www.adverts.ie/car/volkswagen...r-sale/1214205

It has UK registration no, no NCT, no taxes, current owner has been using that car aroun 9 months, but he bought that car here in Ireland. Now my question is, if I buy that car, what do I need to register that car in Ireland? I thought that cars imported from UK must be registered here within 3 months? But thisone has been here a long time, will I get any problems with registration if im going to do it?
Advertisement
02-01-2012, 15:53   #2
drunkmonkey

You'd need to pay the VRT asap. If the person couldn't afford to register and test it properly also means they probably didn't service is properly. I'd get it well checked out before going near it.

Actually that person can't even spell, don't waste your time, turbo is probably shot at this stage.
Thanks from:
02-01-2012, 15:56   #3
challengemaster

UK imports require proof of when the vehicle entered the country (ferry ticket, etc) and all other documentation listed on ncts.ie/vrt

avoid it like the plague
(3) thanks from:
02-01-2012, 16:02   #4
mammu

Thanx..information was helpful
02-01-2012, 16:06   #5
drunkmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammu View Post
Thanx..information was helpful
If your looking at a 1.8Turbo would you not go for a Golf Gti, they can be picked up for handy money now and there a great car I used to have one a few years ago. Something like this for example http://www.adverts.ie/car/cars/other...ck-sale/100370
Advertisement
02-01-2012, 16:14   #6
bazz26

The VRT on that car is between €650 and €700 bringing the total purchase price to between €1400 and €1500. It then has to be NCT'd.

Here is a similar model, cleaner, a year younger with just over half the mileage and 6 months NCT which could probably be bought for €2k cash:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index...01125203035572
02-01-2012, 16:20   #7
mammu

well, this man said that registration costs around 450 €, i just looked that it is cheap...however, I am stucked here with documendation..he says that he has been owner of this car 9 months, and bought this car from his boss, so this car has been here over 9 months i quess, and so he can not be even owner of this car, i mean how can it be registered to his name here in ireland without getting new registration plate and everything else?
02-01-2012, 16:23   #8
colm_mcm
rotaredoM

this all smells of ****e, buy something else.
(3) thanks from:
02-01-2012, 16:23   #9
kceire

Quote:
well, this man said that registration costs around 450 €, i just looked that it is cheap...however, I am stucked here with documendation..he says that he has been owner of this car 9 months, and bought this car from his boss, so this car has been here over 9 months i quess, and so he can not be even owner of this car, i mean how can it be registered to his name here in ireland without getting new registration plate and everything else?
A signed letter stating that you bought the car from X person on such a date and the letter stating that it hasnt been used on public roads will be sifficient.

My mate done this with an E36 M3 in December in Ballymun NCT Centre.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
02-01-2012, 16:39   #10
bazz26

Even with the VRT hassle aside the car is rough looking.
Thanks from:
02-01-2012, 16:46   #11
mammu

he says he used that car on the road, but never stoped by garda..i already changed my mind to buy this car, i have now other interest regarding this car because this seller was rude with me when i asked information..I still can not get over it, he says he is owner, has all docs okay, but no nct, no taxes, no local registration, and also has been using this car on the roads for 9 months?? so to be honest he can not write that letter that he didnt use that car on the roads here..or if he does, he leaves a country, that someone who wants to buy this car, is going to register, and voila, it has been used on the roads..

Last edited by mammu; 02-01-2012 at 19:46.
02-01-2012, 21:47   #12
bazz26

Quote:
he says he used that car on the road, but never stoped by garda..i already changed my mind to buy this car, i have now other interest regarding this car because this seller was rude with me when i asked information..I still can not get over it, he says he is owner, has all docs okay, but no nct, no taxes, no local registration, and also has been using this car on the roads for 9 months?? so to be honest he can not write that letter that he didnt use that car on the roads here..or if he does, he leaves a country, that someone who wants to buy this car, is going to register, and voila, it has been used on the roads..
The car would need to be on Irish reg plates first for it to be taxed and NCT'd. He basically didn't register it here for the last 9 months to evade paying VRT, motor tax and doing the NCT. Anyway you did right to walk away.
(2) thanks from:
02-01-2012, 22:16   #13
mammu

Ive picked up my car... But I if someone going to buy this car..what this someone needs? as there is basically nothing, is there any possibility at all to register that car if owner (if he is owner) leaves a country?? this seems to be like somekind of warning...as far I know, car must be registered here within 30 days...but if car has been here in ireland more than 30 days, and for example, i am the one who is going to buy it..alright, i do not use it until it is registered..i know that dealers are selling uk registered cars..

Last edited by mammu; 04-01-2012 at 17:34.
03-01-2012, 00:14   #14
aujopimur

Only a car dealer can offer for sale a foreign registered car, the car must be reregistered and VRT paid before it can be legally used on the road by the purchaser
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion