Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Windows Live ID is associated with my Gamertag?

Options
  • 18-12-2011 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

So I got a new Xbox to replace the one that RROD'd. I got a transfer cable to copy across all the stuff off the old harddrive but was having a problem logging on to Xbox Live with the profile/gamertag I copied over. So I deleted the profile from the new Xbox thinking I'd start over again, only to find that there's now no longer any profiles/gamertags on the old harddrive...

When I go to download the profile/gamertag, it pulls down another profile/gamertag that I remember setting up online, but this is not the one I want. I want the one I set up originally on my old Xbox because it has all my points, games, etc. But it looks now that I'm stuck with this other gamertag.

If I search on, say, www.xboxgamertag.com I can find the gamertag I want, but I can't find any way to download this one now. Did the introduction of Windows Live ID's screw things up or something :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

So are you basically saying you know the gamertag for the account you want but you can't remember the Live email address it's associated with?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

Yeah, something like that. It should be the email address I already have as I haven't used any other addresses in connection with Xbox Live and all my credit card receipts come to that address. I was just wondering if there was anywhere online I could check the gamertag I want and see if indeed the email address is associated with it. If it is (and it should be), then there's a bug somewhere in Xbox Live that allows you to create a gamertag on the Xbox itself, and also create another gamertag when you login to xbox.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

If you log into Xbox.com with your email and password it will tell you the gamertag there

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

If you cant remember, you can phone or chat xbox support, they have your Windows Live ID on file. They wont have your password tho.

GAAman wrote: »
    If you log into Xbox.com with your email and password it will tell you the gamertag there

Yes, thanks, I understand, but the Gamertag that comes up when I log into Xbox.com is the one I don't want - this is the crux of my problem...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

redt0m wrote: »
    Yes, thanks, I understand, but the Gamertag that comes up when I log into Xbox.com is the one I don't want - this is the crux of my problem...
    Just to clarify, since you can only have one Gamertag associated with a LiveID are you saying the bug in question has allowed you to create a GT on the console which points to the same one?

gizmo wrote: »
    Just to clarify, since you can only have one Gamertag associated with a LiveID are you saying the bug in question has allowed you to create a GT on the console which points to the same one?

Yup, but I created my original Gamertag on the console first, and used the one email address when I originally joined Xbox Live (through the console) - and the other Gamertag (that I don't want) I remember creating on Xbox.com when I was checking out my account there (using the same email address to login there as above).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

was in a similar situ not long ago mate. The issue is you simply cant swap a live id from one GT to another. The support center cant either so until MS get that irritation sorted you have to do a who "body swap" scenario.... just think mechello from stargate and you get the drift!

Set up a mail address that your never going to use eg joebloggs@gmail.com.
    Now log into the GT on your xbox (the one you dont want), use the features there to change the mail address linked to this gamertag.

once done this means you have the GT you dont want linked to the mail address you'll never use.... forget about both of 'em.

Your now left with the email address you do want NOT linked to any GT. So , log into the GT you do want to use on the xbox and again change the linked mail address. Becasuse the one you want is now free there should be no issue with it.

Tricky to follow but thats the only solution if you have GTs linked to mail addresses you want to swap. :eek:. Set up a dummy mail address as a go between.

hightower1 wrote: »
    Your now left with the email address you do want NOT linked to any GT. So , log into the GT you do want to use on the xbox and again change the linked mail address. Becasuse the one you want is now free there should be no issue with it.

Thanks, I was thinking I'd have to do something like this. Only problem is, I don't have a local copy of the Gamertag I want anymore, as I deleted it from the new Xbox when I was starting over again, and then found out that it had also been removed from my old Hard Drive. The only place I can now see the Gamertag I want is on something like www.xboxgamertag.com - no idea how to download that now from Xbox Live...

Is there anywhere online I can link the Gamertag I want with my proper email address?

Advertisement