Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermodynamic solar/anytime panels

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭dardhal

Well, I think this is the same "technology", if not even the same product, that was widely publicised some time ago, with the same sales arguments: solar panel that works at nights, astonishing savings, bla, bla, bla.

I have had a look at their (http://lvprenewables.ie/) promotional video, and it has simply confirmed my suspicion: it's nothing else than a regular hot water tank with an added small water to water heat pump. The same concept that fridges and freezers use, but obviously operating on a reverse cycle. So, it can consume good amounts of electricity, because heating water using a heat pump can be much more efficient than doing so with a simple resistor (passing electricity through a rod and heating via Joule effect).

A heat pump efficiency can be four or five times more efficient than the Joule effect: that is, for every electrical kilowatt spent on the heat pump, you could theoretically get four or five thermal kilowatts, instead of just one with Joule effect. Heat pumps operation and physical principles are well explained on the Internet, so I'll avoid doing it here.

The problem is the efficiency of heat pumps largely depend on the temperature difference between what is called the "cold spot" (in this example, the environment) and the "hot spot" (the heated water in the tank). The larger the gap, the lower the efficiency. So a heat pump, like a fridge, can work with no need for external devices, it all depends on which are the cold and hot spots.

So, back to the advertised system. What's the point of it, and where do the magic comes, or what is the solar panel good for? In this system, the cold spot is the cold water that comes into the house via the pipes, the cold tap water. The hot spot is the water in the tank. Ans the solar panel on the roof is just there to help preheat the incoming (cold) tap water, to improve the heat pump efficiency.

Depending on the environmental conditions, weather, sun radiation and panel size and orientation, the incoming cold water that comes at (lets say) 10 ºC is circulated along the solar panel, that during the day can be hotter than the water itself, giving some of the energy to the incoming water, and raising its temperature. How much? During a sunny summer afternoon, by quite a lot. At nights, nothing, and during much of the 6 to 9 month long irish winter, it can even be detrimental (you won't want to circulate water at 10 ºC through the panel even during the day, if outside temperature is 5º C and sun radiation is so low, due to the sun being low on the horizon and dense clouds, that no gain can be realized from the sun).

So, the system works day and night, because the control logic will turn the heap pump whenever necessary to make water in the tank be at the configured temperature. The computer will pump water to the roof panel it it thinks this can make water raise its temperature, and it's expected to stop pumping when no heat gains can be obtained. During optimal times of the year, the heat pump will work less hours, and during winter, and depending on hot water usage, it could be on 24 hours a day (the webpage video says it only drains about 400 W when on, so from this power rating it's safe to think that during winter, the heat pump will be on most of the time). And don't rule out the possibility that a simple resistor (like those found in traditional hot water tanks heated by electricity) is used as a backup when the heat pump can't simple cope with the demand.

So, is this product the marvel they are trying to sell us? In no way, and for the typical irish weather, I don't think it is worth the expense. Ireland has a difficult weather for solar power (either PV or thermal), because its weather doesn't let too much energy arrive to the ground, and temperatures can be very low (regarding system efficiency) for things like that to be of real use.

The idea of using a system like this to heat a typical irish detached home makes me simply laugh, especially those homes with more than room for improvements in insulation. Please remember, that the amount of energy a square meter on the earth can receive during the most clear sunny days of summer at equatorian latitudes is around 1000 W/sq.m. If the sun is not at a 90º angle (solar noon at equator during summer), less energy arrives to the ground. If there is any mist, less energy. Clouds absorb huge amounts of the incoming sun energy (the same way clouds make heat stay close to the ground, and that's why cloudy nights are usually much warmer than clear ones). And then, technology has its limits, so a high vacuum thermal solar panel can have a gathering efficiency around 80% of the incoming energy, but it also has losses (the panel heats, but also radiates heat, and has other thermal losses, the colder the environment, the higher).

So, if you do the math, this wonder product it's just a salesperson speech trying to convince people to invest in some sort of marvel that, for the specifics of Ireland, simply won't fly. For the country of origin of the panels (seems to be Portugal, at least they seem to be made there), it can be interesting (very mild weather all year, and lots of sunny hours all year long). For Ireland, it's a no go. Save your money and invest in similar technology, without the added (and unnecessary burden) of the solar panel. A water to water heat pump that is preheated using low depth geothermics (horizontal runs of plastics pipes about 2 meters deeps on your backyard) is much more efficient, but can be expensive (excavation cost) or not possible at all (unavailability of enough space).

Renewables are an exciting business, but for the time being there are too many snake oil sellers out there, and customer could make the wrong choice, spend a lot on installation, and then incur in high operational costs once they realize the system is not what they were really sold.

PS: please excuse me, because it's clear that I'm not a native english speaker/writer, and some expressions / technical terms could be wrong, as I don't know yet the equivalents in english of those I know in spanish.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 millie81

Has anyone actually got one of these systems installed? Id be very interested to talk to an actual customer of the company-we are thinking about installing solar panels but only at the research stage at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Prometeo

Dardhal,
    Your analysis is very wrong. Ive seen these installed and I saw it at Galway Self Build Show. The panel works off the refrigeration principle. It sends a refrigeration liquid through the panel, NOT water and once the refrigerant goes through the panel it vapourises. The compressor then raises the temp of this gas allowing the system to heat the water. Its same principle as a heat pump but using less electricity and only having to heat a certain amount of water. As opposed to a heat pump that needs to satisfy underfloor heating with large masses of water returning through the heat pump at a low temperature and using 2.5 kw per hour. I had a look at their website the system uses a minimum of 390 watts with an output of 1.68 Kw, so you are also incorrect in stating that system runs 24 hours per day. If it did then it would be inputting over 36 kw per day. The system only operates when water needs to be heated. The refrigeration principle is why it is able to work at night time. Calling it a solar panel would be a marketing/sales pitch but I dont think calling it a heat pump would attract much interest.
    I have the Solar Evacuated tubes in my house and to be honest they are just not suited for Ireland. 60% of my hot water is provided and thats a generous breakdown to be honest. I paid nearly €4800 for the system. I was spending approx €600 per year on my hot water including immersion. If it is saving me 60% of my hot water then that is a saving of €360. Payback = €4800/360 = 13.3 years. I like renewable energy and what it can do and thats the reason I purchased but a payback of 13 years is not good. So if this is a heat pump who cares as long as it heats all the water all year round.. For how much per year though is what we need to know. Has anyone any figures on running costs?? Would prefer a customer of the thermodynamic panels to answer this question and not the sales company

Prometeo wrote: »
    The panel works off the refrigeration principle.

So I said it was just a fridge operating on the reverse cycle, so no thermowhatnot magic in the product, just PR stuff.
    It sends a refrigeration liquid through the panel, NOT water and once the refrigerant goes through the panel it vapourises. The compressor then raises the temp of this gas allowing the system to heat the water. Its same principle as a heat pump but using less electricity and only having to heat a certain amount of water.

Sure, my example of pumping water to the panel to heat it was inapropiate and misleading. Anyways, it seems to be plain old heat pump technology, no matter how hard we (or them) try to explain it. It's just fridge-technology, nothing different to a classic domestic heat pump based air conditioning system, that here in Spain are not very frequent (due to its lack of high temperatures), but in other parts of the globe is widespread. And, as the themodynamical cycle is easily reversed, in those places were air conditioning is used, most installed devices are also used in the heating cycle, complementing or replacing a more traditional heating system.

But please explain were the "same principle as a heat pump but using less electricity" comes from. Is it a heat pump or not? The gain from such a system is, that under certain conditions, it can be 3 or 4 times more efficient than plain immersion heating. Closer to three than to four, and probably below. Saving two thirds of the electricity bill for hot water is great, but as you said, the return on investment may not justify the investment.
    As opposed to a heat pump that needs to satisfy underfloor heating with large masses of water returning through the heat pump at a low temperature and using 2.5 kw per hour. I had a look at their website the system uses a minimum of 390 watts with an output of 1.68 Kw, so you are also incorrect in stating that system runs 24 hours per day. If it did then it would be inputting over 36 kw per day.

A heat pump needs to satisfy whatever load it is connected to. The same heat pump can be used to heat a hot water tank or a swimming pool, the only difference would be the duty cycle of the device. If the compressor has to stop frequently or work far away from its rated power efficiency will drop. That's why, when heat pumps or boilers are used for heating, they have to be sized very carefully, because you could end up with an underpowered system that doesn't meet the load, or with an oversized one that is constantly cycling, greatly reducing its estimated lifetime.

I would take the system efficiency of more than 4 with a grain of salt. Even high end heat pumps for domestic use under environmental conditions more favorable than the ones a typical system would have to withstand in Ireland hardly reach an efficiency of four, and only in the datasheets. Anyway, if we take that number as a fact, heating to 60 ºC a 100-liter tank with tap water coming at 10 ºC is going to take 5 Mcal, or 21 MJ. This device would only need 5.22 KWh of electricity to heat the tank, and a simple immersion device, the full 21 KWh. At 20 ¢/KWh it can make quite a difference, but at nearly 400 W of input power consumed, the heat pump is going to be on about 13 hours a day. Nothing to worry about, but clearly insufficient by orders of magnitude to keep any standard sized well insulated home warm any time of the year.

And this is my main complaint about the product, not the technology, which is more than established and tried over the decades, but the "it's for hot water but can be used also to heat your house". No f'ing way. Companies should stop trying to fool people why this kind of messages. The product can be adequate for its intended purpose, but a deep cost-benefit analysis is needed. And there is no way that this system is going to help at all keeping the house warm, at an affordable price. The only way to go is adequate insulation and air-tightness, good habits from the people living in the house, and an adequately sized radiant floor system using a good quality condensing boiler. Difficult, if not impossible to retrofit on existing houses, but the insulating part, that is the solution with the best return on investment of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

Sent a query to LPC Renewables and got a ring back very promptly. The guy who rang (Richard I think) basically said I was better sticking with condensing boiler in my case. No hard sell at all, even though we are planning to knock most of the house and rebuild so perfect time to invest in a new system he still recommended sticking with old system and loads of insulation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Buzzbarr

I was thinking about getting thermodynamic system too. Why did they advise you not to get it? What is your predicted hotwater useage if you went ahead with the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

Buzzbarr wrote: »
    I was thinking about getting thermodynamic system too. Why did they advise you not to get it? What is your predicted hotwater useage if you went ahead with the system.

Not quite sure, they rang at a bad time. Asked was it a new build. It is almost, only keeping 3 bedrooms in original concrete built cottage and adding about 150sqm. Original cottage will be externally insulated and new build will be insulated to the highest spec budget will allow.

Sounds like a great system but now think airtightness may be an issue, particularly in my case with old cottage.

Finished the conversation saying I'd do more research and get back to them in the new year.

I also want to look into payback period and maintenance costs, my architect thinks this may be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 BlondieR

millie81 wrote: »
    Has anyone actually got one of these systems installed? Id be very interested to talk to an actual customer of the company-we are thinking about installing solar panels but only at the research stage at the moment

We are looking at these too and it all sounds a little too good to be true. Most threads I read shift to technical specifics of heating requirements, panel efficiency,COP etc..... Does anyone have these panels for space/central heating & do they work?

I have also heard of what has been quoted to me as "solar rads" - efficient radiators that only have 0.6l of water, which can be used to retrofit a house for this system or save the need for underfloor heating + screed in a new build. I'm having a little trouble sourcing them online, are they simply referring to alu rads??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

BlondieR wrote: »
    We are looking at these too and it all sounds a little too good to be true. Most threads I read shift to technical specifics of heating requirements, panel efficiency,COP etc..... Does anyone have these panels for space/central heating & do they work?

I have also heard of what has been quoted to me as "solar rads" - efficient radiators that only have 0.6l of water, which can be used to retrofit a house for this system or save the need for underfloor heating + screed in a new build. I'm having a little trouble sourcing them online, are they simply referring to alu rads??

There is another thread here somewhere asking for actual electricity bills from people who have thermodynamic panels. Until I see a meter readings here from someone who has more than 1 post, I remain sceptical.

Generally, using solar to heat your home is a complete mismatch. It is good for heating water in the summer time when your heating is (or should be) off.

The principle of rads that can work at low temperatures have some benefits. However, underfloor heating works with ground source heat pumps because heat is stored in the floor and released over a long period. You don't get that benefit from low temperature or fan-assisted rads of any sort. So your GSHP can't really benefit as much from low cost off-peak electricity.

There is another thread here somewhere asking for actual electricity bills from people who have thermodynamic panels. Until I see a meter readings here from someone who has more than 1 post, I remain sceptical.

I tend to trust physics more than electricity bills no matter how often the user posts in the forums. If claims contradict the laws of physics, I will trust the former, not the latter.
    Generally, using solar to heat your home is a complete mismatch. It is good for heating water in the summer time when your heating is (or should be) off.
    In general, using any kind of solar power in Ireland is subject to serious analysis, due to the very nature of Irish weather and seasonal patterns. Of course, if it is ever viable, is by using thermal solar panels to heat domestic hot water, and not photovoltaic ones (PV) to generate electricity to power your home or, God forbid, heat water in an immersion heater.

Energy and return on investment wise, it is probably more sound all over the country to use small wind generators than using any kind of solar power, because in the end, this is a very windy place, but then it comes the problem of coupling energy generation to energy usage, and direct use of electricity generated to heat water, although being 100% efficient, is a complete waste of money, but there aren't any cheap ways of leveraging random power generated to be useful at home.
    The principle of rads that can work at low temperatures have some benefits. However, underfloor heating works with ground source heat pumps because heat is stored in the floor and released over a long period. You don't get that benefit from low temperature or fan-assisted rads of any sort. So your GSHP can't really benefit as much from low cost off-peak electricity.
    Underfloor heating is just a means of delivering heat to the premises by circulating hot water along pipes embedded in the floor. But that water can be heated with any source of energy or technology you want. You may use a grond source heat pump, but you may well use an air-air heat pump, a gas or oil boiler, a retrofitted fireplace or a modern version of the same, what they call "biomass boilers".

The only requirement, and usually only for efficiency, is to have a buffer hot water tank to make the heating device work at their rated (and most efficient) load. For example, typical underfloor heating water is pumped at about 40 ºC, but the typical gas or oil boiler can't simply work efficiently at such low temperatures, or would suffer from constant on-off cycles. So the solution is to put something very muck like an immersion heater between the boiler and the water circuit, to store water at higher temperatures (maybe 60-70 ºC) which gets heated during long runs by the boiler )so increasing efficiency). A three-way mixer valve and a regulation circuit then mixes that hot water with cold water to pump the mild water under the floor. And every one is happy.

That being said, underfloor heating can be designed for either "high inertia" or "lower inertia". The greater the inertia, the longer it takes the heat to reach the room, the lesser, the faster heat arrives at the floor level and then to the rest of the room. But the system has to be designed for the purpose, and there is no single "best" solution. And there is a significant difference between underfloor heating and other kinds of heating, that (I believe) accounts for more energy saving than using groundbreaking technologies to heat the water, and is the fact the way heat propagates.

And heat propagates through conduction (direct contact between "solid" materials), convection (air movement) and radiation (infrarred wavelength that travel even in the vacuum and go trough solids to some extent). The greatest thing about underfloor heating, and that other heat delivery technologies can't even approach, is that heat goes from the floor up all over the place, with no air movement, no cold or hot spots and making your head cooler than your feet, which is how the body feels more comfortable. No matter how you heat the place, hot air is going to move upwards no matter what, and radiators (specially electric ones) heat at such high temperatures that air goes to the ceiling immediately, and they hardly heat anything around them , so it takes lots of energy to heat even the smallest and best insulated places.

Of course, there are different kinds and qualities of underfloor heating. In the lower end there is electrical (Joule effect) underfloor heating, this is just like spreading your radiators all over the floor and distributing the heat over a larger area. Even this poor-man version is way more effective and affordable than typical storage heaters, and quality of life improves dramatically. The highest end would be ground source heat pumps by using deep well below the ground, which is a big expense, but between the two extreme cases there are lots of technical possibilities worth investigating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 BlondieR

Thanks for the replies folks, I agree Quentin and the fact that nobody is coming forward with actuals is making me sceptical. If these Thermo panels are so wonderful, why are people not shouting it from the rooftops??

While the science can tell us what a panel could, would & should do, the fact remains that we live in homes not labs and nobody seems to be able to confirm what they actually do.

Back to the drawing board I guess :( but thanks guys ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

A quick search of boards can work wonders

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056600822

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bjfmd

I fitted the system 2years ago, during 9 weeks of summer we have 11 irish students staying with us, we are a family of 5 , 2 adults and 3 kids, the system supplies all our hot water (not central heating) 1 panel on the roof and a 260ltr tank, ok its slightly slower in winter because how cold the water is but it still heats, every morning we have a full tank of water at 52deg , i bought a meter of OWL to view our electricty usage on average between .5 and .9 kw per hour, thats inc fridge and freezer and other items (tv,upc playstation ) left on standby. the system works for us as we were 100% depending on oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Old thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement