Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound not working on some saorview channels

Options
  • 06-12-2011 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Hi lads and ladies,

As of the title last night my samsung television which was bought last christmas is giving a bit of trouble with some channels including RTE 1,2, TV3, TG4, 3E picture perfect with no sound. All the rest including all the radio channels and the normal analogue channels are working fine.

I ran the sound test on the TV without any problem and the saorview signal is 90% plus.

Anyone have any ideas on what the problem is or is it the television itself. All the other televisions in the house running through same aeriel are working fine.

Patrick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,545 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Try rescan for the channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

p.oconnor wrote: »
    Hi lads and ladies,

As of the title last night my samsung television which was bought last christmas is giving a bit of trouble with some channels including RTE 1,2, TV3, TG4, 3E picture perfect with no sound. All the rest including all the radio channels and the normal analogue channels are working fine.

I ran the sound test on the TV without any problem and the saorview signal is 90% plus.

Anyone have any ideas on what the problem is or is it the television itself. All the other televisions in the house running through same aeriel are working fine.

Patrick

Turn off Audio Description (ADMIX) in one of the menus.

And you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

thanks lads did a rescan and turned off audio description and all is well, could anyone tell me what is that audio description and why did it cause a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Audio Description is an additional audio channel broadcast along with the usual audio. It can contain additional narration which is describing the action on the screen at the time. It's used for people with impaired vision who might be trying to follow the programme. The BBC use it a lot on popular programmes. When you select AD you should normally get the actual dialogue and sound effects plus the narrator describing what is happening. The issue with the RTENL signal is that there is an AD stream identified, but it is carrying silence. Some TV sets (I've seen threads from various Samsung owners) seem to default to AD and you have to specifically turn it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

fat-tony wrote: »
    Audio Description is an additional audio channel broadcast along with the usual audio. It can contain additional narration which is describing the action on the screen at the time. It's used for people with impaired vision who might be trying to follow the programme. The BBC use it a lot on popular programmes. When you select AD you should normally get the actual dialogue and sound effects plus the narrator describing what is happening. The issue with the RTENL signal is that there is an AD stream identified, but it is carrying silence. Some TV sets (I've seen threads from various Samsung owners) seem to default to AD and you have to specifically turn it off.

Just solved my problem - good stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 mattryals

I'm having this same issue on a techwood. Audio Description is off and reset the chanels 5 times. No luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

mattryals wrote: »
    I'm having this same issue on a techwood. Audio Description is off and reset the chanels 5 times. No luck.

Don't know the box but are there any other audio selection options?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mattryals

The Cush wrote: »
    Don't know the box but are there any other audio selection options?

I have a Techwood tv. I'm just getting the free channels at the moment. No options for other output. The only thing I'm not getting sound on is RTE2 and I think tv3.

Advertisement