Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Vietnam: MotorCycle Trip

Options
  • 01-07-2011 4:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Has anyone here any experience or info on doing a motorcycle trip in northern Vietnam?? I only have 4-5 days and my main aim is to cover both Cao Bang and Ha Giang provinces, but would also like to go to Sapa. Would any of the following routes by viable:

1. Hanoi - Cao Bang - Ha Giang - Sapa

2. Take train to Lao Cai - Bike to Ha Giang - Cao Bang - Hanoi

I have a couple of yrs biking experience, nothing major. The plan is to do this with my girlfriend. Would it be possible to carry myself, my gf and one large rucksack all on one motorbike, as if I choose option one I will need to bring my luggage with me.

Has anyone here done an itinerary like this before?? I got the idea from this guy but have shortened down the route as I wont have as much time. Looks like a great trip:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495729

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

Great link,might do this myself when I am over but I think you will need mote than 5 days.
    I have been to this area a bunch of times and I can only give some biking tips from travelling in Thailand.
    I don't think it's a good idea to bring anything larger than a small knapsack.
    Your going to be traveling on some fairly dubious roads and the weight alone will discomfort you,restrict your speed on the hills and as only 250 cc are mainly available they are not enough to tackle some of the mountainous roads.
    An option would be to either let the girlfriend rent a Honda dream or larger if she can handle it or bus ahead of you each day and you follow on the bike.
    Try give yourself more time or restrict your route,roads in Viet are also v dangerous,most are surfaced but a lot of lunatics driving on them and they don't give you much respect on s bike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

The Top Gear lads did this a few years ago it was a good episode.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear:_Vietnam_Special

Worth watching if you are going to do something like it!

Ya they went from south to north Vietnam,different route to above but O saw that episode it was fun yet fairly unrealistic to do it like them without getting run over by a bus or truck.
    I have had a few close calls on the bikes in Vietnam and I think the roads are definitely very dangerous for s.e.a. Standards.
    The mountain roads are not as busy but it is rainy season right now and you just have to have your wits about you over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jgalvin

Great post by the guy on that forum... looks spectacular, would love to give it a go myself. But I would echo beagle001's warning about the rainy season... could be really miserable this time of year, and potentially very dangerous as the mountain roads often collapse with heavy rain and flooding. When do you intend to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 earl28

I would be going in December, so the weather shouldn't be too much of a problem then, maybe a little cold but its in dry season. I still haven't decided if its viable for me to do it yet. I contacted one of the places the guy mentioned in his blog:

www.flamingotravel.com.vn

He told me the following itinerary would be good for a five day trip:

Day 1: Hanoi - Ha Giang (~300 km)
    Day 2: Ha Giang - Dong Van (~160 km)
    Day 3: Dong Van - Bao Lac ( 130 km)
    Day 4: Bao Lac - Cao Bang (140 km)
    Day 5: Cao Bang - Hanoi ( 300 km)

Its pretty expensive to do the trip with a guide so if I do it I will be going alone. I'm not too worried about the actual driving / dodgy roads, my main worry would be if something went wrong with the bike in the middle of nowhere I wouldnt really have a clue how to fix it.

• Advertisement

earl28 wrote: »
    I would be going in December, so the weather shouldn't be too much of a problem then, maybe a little cold but its in dry season. I still haven't decided if its viable for me to do it yet. I contacted one of the places the guy mentioned in his blog:

www.flamingotravel.com.vn

He told me the following itinerary would be good for a five day trip:

Day 1: Hanoi - Ha Giang (~300 km)
    Day 2: Ha Giang - Dong Van (~160 km)
    Day 3: Dong Van - Bao Lac ( 130 km)
    Day 4: Bao Lac - Cao Bang (140 km)
    Day 5: Cao Bang - Hanoi ( 300 km)

Its pretty expensive to do the trip with a guide so if I do it I will be going alone. I'm not too worried about the actual driving / dodgy roads, my main worry would be if something went wrong with the bike in the middle of nowhere I wouldnt really have a clue how to fix it.

Every Vietnamese is a mini mechanic when it comes to bikes.
    Believe me they would get it started anywhere,I don't think you need to worry too much with this dilemma.
    There are little workshops everywhere and the guys are great at fixing mechanical problems on bikes.

Flamingo Travel have a good reputation so I'd rent from them.. I use their mechanics for my own bike now and like them. As for the itinerary they gave you, it looks fine. You have to start and end in the same place because of the bike so your two initial suggestions are impossible.
    I drove around the country for 2 months last year but haven't been to Ha Giang yet.. Will be going there in the next 2/3 months so will have better advice for you then.

Cheers Beagle. I suppose it makes sense that it should be quite easy to find someone to repair mechanical issues in a country full of bikes like Vietnam. I think I will go ahead with this trip, looks like a great way to get off the beaten track and the scenery looks amazing.

Ads by Google, it would be great if you could send on some advice after you do your trip to Ha Giang. One other question I have is when doing a trip like this, what would you advise packing?? Are there any items from your experience that may come in really handy??

Also, Flamingo recommended 2 bikes for me:

Yamaha YBR 125cc
    http://www.flamingotravel.com.vn/Motorbike-rent/dm384/

Honda XR 250cc
    http://www.flamingotravel.com.vn/Motorbike-rent/dm145/

As I will be going with my gf on the same bike, I would be looking for comfort as well as performance...which would you recommend?

I'd say the 250 if you have 2 people on the bike.. Especially if you wanna do a 300km day.
    Items worth packing in Vietnam? Fek all. There's small towns etc. everywhere so you don't need anything really. I'd happily set out for Ha Giang tomorrow in jeans, a t shirt and a few million dong in my wallet.
    Although sunglasses for dust are good and sunblock if you aren't used to the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

I did something similar a few years back - stuck for time so just threw the bike on the train to Hanoi after Sapa.

I dug up my report:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=599842

Nice easy route, not much traffic once you get out of Hanoi. I'd go for the XR250 if you've any biking experience at all, but not sure how comfortable it'd be for a pillion on a 300km day!

• Advertisement

Planning on doing this trip without the guide now so just renting the motorbike. I have been quoted $40 a day for the Honda XR250 and $25 a day for the Yamaha 125. Do these prices sound reasonable for Vietnam??

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jgalvin

earl28 wrote: »
    Planning on doing this trip without the guide now so just renting the motorbike. I have been quoted $40 a day for the Honda XR250 and $25 a day for the Yamaha 125. Do these prices sound reasonable for Vietnam??

Just asked a Vietnamese biker and he said it sounds very expensive, as it's normally $20 per day for a 250cc bike and $10 per day for a smaller moto, but those are usually old bikes set aside for rental, so it could be that you've got proper high quality bikes there.

I've rented a motor scooter before and it costs only $5 per day but you get a rusty old Honda Wave or something, so your quote sounds OK if they're good quality newish bikes, but if they're old bikes then it's much too expensive.

I will be doing this trip in December, just before Xmas, do you know if there is any need to book the bikes in advance or should it be easy to just get one when I arrive in Hanoi?

Doesn't hurt to book in advance but i doubt you'd have much trouble getting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Some warnings here about having the appropriate driving licence. Very useful website btw

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/southern-asia/vietnam-police-cracking-down-tourists-51862

Great website but that link is overly cautious.. Driving license just isn't an issue. I got stopped before on my big trip.. I offered them a few cigarettes, showed my passport, used the little Vietnamese i know and showed them my big map and they loved me for it. An ice tea later and i was on my way. These days, I've heard of two people getting pulled over and then let go without a fuss.

It wouldn't stop me doing a trip here.. Ever. When we do leave Hanoi, no one would even think about it. I've a friend working for flamingo travel now so let me know if ya have any questions.. Ill ask him.

Great website but that link is overly cautious.. Driving license just isn't an issue. I got stopped before on my big trip.. I offered them a few cigarettes, showed my passport, used the little Vietnamese i know and showed them my big map and they loved me for it. An ice tea later and i was on my way. These days, I've heard of two people getting pulled over and then let go without a fuss.

It wouldn't stop me doing a trip here.. Ever. When we do leave Hanoi, no one would even think about it. I've a friend working for flamingo travel now so let me know if ya have any questions.. Ill ask him.

My intention wasn't to deter the OP from visiting. Sounds a fab trip. I'd love to do it. Just wanted to warn about a possible hassle along the way.

It may be easy and cheap to bribe your way out of a minor problem but this is just promoting petty corruption. The next traveler - or worse the unfortunate locals - may have to suffer the consequences as the police get to like the easy income.

I wouldn't like petty corruption to be tolerated at home in Ireland. For the sake of a small expense I'd feel it would be satisfying to abide by the local laws - and avoid the hassles. It might at least make-up for some of the negatives of mass tourism.

The locals bear 99.999999% of all corruption. I've seen police trucks with balloons out th back from an old woman being raided. I've seen tiny cafes lose all their furniture cause they didn't pay the tight person off. I've seen clubs having their soundsystems being put in trucks at 1am until the o wner pays it off and everyone heads back inside.

Don't mean to sound like a know it all or something but its a complete non issue. The corruption is ingrained in society. Westerners play no part or role in it.

The notion that they only screw foreigners is completely untrue. My ex girlfriend loved when i drove so she didn't have to wear a helmet.. The locals get stopped and get their bikes impounded constantly while I could pull up drunk with no helmet and ask them for a cigarette before driving off.

I don't doubt that the locals bear the brunt of corruption. That was the point of my concern.

If a tourist bribes an official then the tourist is compounding the problem - in whatever small way. But if a tourist has all his\her documents in order then the tourist can stand firm and refuse to be party to bribery. Then that 'strikes a blow' against corruption - in whatever small way.

I just thought that the small cost of a piece of local paperwork would have a bigger significance than avoiding the possible hassle of a roadside checkpoint.
    BTW I have no knowledge of what official paperwork is required locally.

My intention wasn't to deter the OP from visiting. Sounds a fab trip. I'd love to do it. Just wanted to warn about a possible hassle along the way.

It may be easy and cheap to bribe your way out of a minor problem but this is just promoting petty corruption. The next traveler - or worse the unfortunate locals - may have to suffer the consequences as the police get to like the easy income.

I wouldn't like petty corruption to be tolerated at home in Ireland. For the sake of a small expense I'd feel it would be satisfying to abide by the local laws - and avoid the hassles. It might at least make-up for some of the negatives of mass tourism.
    Never wore a helmet in Vietnam and rarely saw any police checkpoints anywhere.
    Been hit with many fines all over Asia for minor road traffic offences and to be honest I prefer to just sort it out with the cop on the spot rather than the crap we have in Ireland.
    Over there it's a small sum to give to the copper on the spot and it saves you a load of hassle plus it's cheaper than the actual fine.
    Don't kid yourself that there is no corruption in Ireland it's rampant in all walks of society just take a look at our politicians,bankers and developers the most corrupt lot you could encounter.
    In Ireland they just make up a law or impose a new tax to generate revenue,in Asia they just expect a bribe it's the done thing with everyone.
    We live in a banana republic in Ireland where people pretend there is no corruption and we have laws but in reality it's all smoke and mirrors at least in Vietnam you know how it works and they don't hide the corruption or let on that they are saints like our lot here.

• Advertisement

I don't doubt that the locals bear the brunt of corruption. That was the point of my concern.

If a tourist bribes an official then the tourist is compounding the problem - in whatever small way. But if a tourist has all his\her documents in order then the tourist can stand firm and refuse to be party to bribery. Then that 'strikes a blow' against corruption - in whatever small way.

I just thought that the small cost of a piece of local paperwork would have a bigger significance than avoiding the possible hassle of a roadside checkpoint.
    BTW I have no knowledge of what official paperwork is required locally.

The bribes are called tea money. Its actually allowed. It costs over $5000 to get into the police here.. And nepotism gets you into the big money areas. I can't really stress enough how normal it is here.
    If you get all head strong and righteous and resist paying him a few dollars, theyre more likely to just throw the documents away and take the bike. Its illegal for a foreigner to ever own a bike here so they can do anything they want. Even with documents, Id always pay a few dollars if asked. Shooting yourself in the foot bringing western values into the equation.

The documents require a test taken in Vietnamese (rules changed recently). But you can bribe it so they process it if you know the right people. Irony.

Stick to your 50cc if you come to Vietnam.. Its without a doubt your only option as it doesn't require a license. Still be prepared to lose it though if you get into an argument over a few dollars.

No idea what I was on while posting them last few posts.. But I'm doing this trip next week and it will probably be the same 5 day itinerary on page 1. Ill post pics and advice after.

Hi Ads by Google,

Did you do the trip?? How was it??

Absolutely amazing... Having driven the country for 2 months last year, that round trip for 5 days blew the rest of the country out of the water.

I didn't get a reply here so didn't post.. I'm at work now but I'll throw up a few photos and some advice later.

Good stuff...still planning to do it in mid to late December so any advice would be much appreciated. Have been looking at pictures of that area again today and it does look amazing

Finally getting around to posting this.. Photos from my mobile phone so sorry about the quality. The bike is a 250cc AX-1 which I bought before the trip.. Didn't have enough time to take of the slicks and put on knobbly tyres which nearly killed me twice. Don't know how I did 4500km on a 125cc last year after feeling how much easier the drive is on a bigger bike.

Hanoi - Ha Giang

This is a full days drive that can be made more interesting depending on the route.. I left Hanoi towards Yen Bai, took some small roads to Tuyen Quang and then straight north. I ended up having a massive hangover the morning I was leaving and only got out of Hanoi around 11am. That meant I only made it to a small town called Viet Quang bout 60km short of Ha Giang on the first day.

A quicker way would be north out of Hanoi through Viet Tri. And if you have or need two days to do this, a good route could be Hanoi to Pho Rang through Yen Bai. Then Pho Rang to Ha Giang the next day. I drove that stretch of road last year and remember it being a lot of fun.. Not very scenic but great bends.

Getting out of Hanoi is not an easy task.. Especially if you're new to Vietnamese traffic. Just take your time and go slow. The outskirts of cities are where most of the twelve thousand motorbike deaths happen every year.

20111109140111.jpg
    Very nice 60-70km stretch of road on the first day.. Narrow and lots of blind corners but everything green and peaceful.

oQACL.jpg
    Back onto nice open roads up further north.

Ha Giang - Dong Van

First and most importantly, get your travel permit in Ha Giang before going anywhere.. You need this to stay in hotels and if the police catch you without one, expect a big fine. You get the document from an immigration department so it's not a trivial matter. From memory, I think you drive into the town until you get to the bridge going right across the river.. Turn left here instead, take first left and the office will be on the right. If it's not there, sorry.
    Supposed to be $10 which is what I paid. Alot of people get shafted here for another $10 or $15 extra and sometimes they insist you pay for a guide to come with you.. Hopefully you'll be lucky.

When you come out of Ha Giang, you should take the road going north through Tan Son. The road to Dong Van is great and on this day or the next morning, you should take a detour to Long Co / Long Cu at the Chinese border. I did it the next morning.
    Really nice 25km drive each way.. One of my favourite sections but also one of the roads I nearly skidded off cause of the back tyre.

47O2V.jpg
    The all important permit.. Too lazy to erase personal info.

X8e1g.jpg
    Road out of Ha Giang.. Relaxing introduction to the region.

aC9rk.jpg
    Cruised this road at about 30km/h just relaxing and chain smoking cigarettes cause I enjoyed it so much.

o0Y18.jpg
    Loved this sign.. Definitely felt a bit of the beaten track.

rxGul.jpg
    As you get closer to Dong Van, the scenery gets increasingly rocky. This is what separates this region from the rest of the country.

nUJgc.jpg
    A 15 rider crew from New Zealand broke up my feeling of being out in the middle of nowhere but we had good fun drinking in the afternoon.. Most were riding Minsks with Honda Win engines. More reliable but they just didn't have the 2 stroke roar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I love this thread, I think you guys have decided my next holiday for me. Epic!

Must mention this is hotel where I met the guys.. Can't remember the name but when you drive into Dong Van, keep going until what feels like the top of the town and it will be on your left.. Big open area at the front. Really nice spot with a cool manager.

IyKi6.jpg
    The one bike that I was jealous off.. Old school Russian Ural sans side-car. All the group were in their 50s and 60s. Not saying that's old but they were all a bit surprised that a 24 year old in a pair of converse and a t-shirt pulled up with a small backpack cause he got a few days off work. Compared with their guides, a year of planning, a support truck and a luggage van so they didn't have to carry anything. :cool:

Jflxk.jpg
    The legend manager.. Treated me really well, taught me some Vietnamese and took me to his cafe/bar for beers. Then he gives me an old jacket of his cause I mentioned it was a bit cold. Turned out to be a lifesaver cause the temp dropped the next day.

58llm.jpg
    Nice "road" outside Dong Van.

p1J48.jpg
    I mentioned Long Co / Long Cu earlier.. This is on the road to it. You head back west from Dong Van and swing a right up the hill. I've told one other person to take this detour since I did it and they loved it.. So yea, do it.

SK49M.jpg
    Ya better get your climbing hat on cause this one isn't easy.. Had to stop for a break and a cigarette on the way up. You can see China from the top and the view really is pretty nice.

TUeES.jpg
    Taken close to where I nearly died.. Goin a bit fast and end up with the bike skidding towards the edge of the cliff on a corner but thankfully managed to pull off a bit of my own touchy touchy ABS and kept it under control. Barely. Took a bit of a break to get my heartrate back to normal afterwards.

Dong Van - Bao Lac - Cao Bang - Hanoi

I have alot of photos of this section but I'll bore everyone to tears if I upload too many.. The first day here is great driving with stunning landscape. The second day is more difficult with a lot of roadworks on drive to Cao Bang.

7hN24.jpg
    Rocks, rocks everywhere. I have a tonne of photos of this area.. Very dramatic and impressive landscape.

8UQdr.jpg
    No camera, be in my mobile phone or a DSLR can capture the side of this mountain and it's scale for what it's worth.. Absolutely incredible driving down here. Favourite part of the trip I think. Shows that photos really are limited when I look at it and think "meh.." but when I was there, I was blown away by it.

ht0Yn.jpg
    Fuel stop.. The old guy ripped me off for $2 after this photo was taken. My passive aggression resulted in a cloud of dust after he got angry at me for stating the correct price in Vietnamese.. The price which he had just said to me 2 minutes earlier. If you're gonna rip me off, please do it with a bit of charm.

gvGOf.jpg
    Pulled into this restaurant in a small village at 10.30am and left at just after 12.. Absolutely pissed. In Vietnam, it's very rude to turn down an offer of "ze-o", the rice whiskey they drink. When the food takes half an hour, then there's beer during food and then they insist on you drinking more and more ze-o afterwards, it's easy to end up fairly drunk very quickly. Was very happy I knew some bits of Vietnamese here. Some slow driving, a lot of cigarette breaks and the cold wind made me sober up again pretty fast thankfully.
    Rule 1: Always accept any offer.
    Rule 2: Offer cigarettes as a courtesy.
    The first rule even comes before basic traffic laws.. It doesn't even matter if there is a policeman sitting at the table, you accept the drink and move on. :)

ge44A.jpg
    On the way to Cao Bang... Not all roads can be beautiful. But this one would have been alot more fun with knobbly tyres. Was fairly gutted knowing the bike could do so much more on ground like that with a proper setup.

I didn't go all the way into Cao Bang city when I reached the area.. I swung south and made it to Bac Can so I had a shorter final drive into Hanoi on the last day.

And after it's all done and I'm back in Hanoi, I get to go and see these little fukers the next day. Thankfully, they're the coolest kids ever.

N53Og.jpg

Advertisement