Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sega Saturn 50/60Hz Switch

Options
  • 01-12-2011 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

A vital mod this, for any self respecting Sega Saturn owner. As most will know, most previous generations of EU consoles were restricted to 50Hz. This meant 15/20% slower gameplay & huge black borders across the top & bottom of the screen.

When you allow a console to run at 60Hz, as NTSC ones do natively, you get full screen full speed gameplay - as it should be!

The Sega Saturn (Model 2)

10elk0g.jpg

Under the cover, psu on the left, cd rom unit on top, motherboard underneath.

ohn1ir.jpg

As I mentioned recently with the Dreamcast mods, some consoles have interchangeable PSU's. The Saturn is another regularly imported console where people use stepdown/invertors etc. If you have a broken PAL model, or pick up a cheap one, you can swap out the PSU's also, the principal is exactly the same as the DC that I documented doing

6qa34w.jpg

ob0bph.jpg

Ok, stripped down to the motherboard now...

jr3636.jpg

We locate the graphics chip, & lift pin 79 from the motherboard. It's more or less exactly like doing the Megadrive 2 mod of the same type. Once lifted, its a good idea to put some tape underneath it as we will be soldering a wire to it.

24ux47l.jpg

11jrau0.jpg

Ok the basic premise of the mod is that we feed either ground or 5v to the lifted pin, to change between 50/60Hz accordingly. We we get our required feeds from the psu connector, pin 1 is ground, pin 4 is 5v

35kn9ev.jpg

To change between modes, an SPDT switch is perfect. Put 5v & ground on either outer pin, & wire the center pin to the lifted pin 79 as seen above. I used the battery cover as the place to fit the switch, this way I'm keeping the console untouched aesthetically.

ae4hw3.jpg

ngymb5.jpg

Ground & 5v wired in...

2zscrw8.jpg

Wire soldered to the lifted pin 79

64hs3d.jpg

In place...

25f21w4.jpg

2he8z9d.jpg

23j3ddz.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

50Hz

5d1j4j.jpg

60Hz (because this is a PAL 50Hz game, it gets stretched off the screen, but you get the idea by looking at the bullet indicator position

359jvyt.jpg

The difference in speed & sound is very audible. It's a very recommended mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

You do love your retro EN ;)

justryan wrote: »

Give me retro consoles any day of the week, I've done jtagging, CFW & all the modern stuff too but I never bother actually playing with any of it :)

Modern gaming for the most part is sh1te & generic at this point

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

So it's safe to say we Europeans scored higher in games that required fast reflexes? :)

waveform wrote: »
    So it's safe to say we Europeans scored higher in games that required fast reflexes? :)

No, we just think we're better gamers than in fact we are :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

EnterNow wrote: »

Give me retro consoles any day of the week, I've done jtagging, CFW & all the modern stuff too but I never bother actually playing with any of it :)

Modern gaming for the most part is sh1te & generic at this point

I'd take HD visuals over chunky graphics any day of the week, but it's nice to reminisce

I'd take HD visuals over chunky graphics any day of the week, but it's nice to reminisce

If it looks like candy but tastes like sh1te then thats a thing of preference :)

Gameplay however, is not a modern thing, & in actual fact, is lost a lot on modern consoles.

Advertisement