Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sega Dreamcast Hybrid Bios Mod

Options
  • 29-11-2011 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Having done the region flash mod a few times, I thought this looked interesting. What it is, is essentially a replacement BIOS chip for your Sega Dreamcast. The new BIOS is a Dev/Retail hybrid of dev console bios & retail console bios, that just happens to be region free.

Your DC remains the same region as it originally is, however all region checking has been removed, so you can boot any region games without reflashing the region code, or without powering off to reset modchips.

You also get a Dev boot animation which is a nice touch.

Dreamcast stripped down to the motherboard

k4woj6.jpg

The original bios chip in place, this can be either removed completely as in this case, or you can wire up a switch & have both chips selectable at any given time.

riyv46.jpg

The replacement hybrid BIOS

b5h4lc.jpg

Original bios removed, I desoldered rather then snipping the pins

2ivhub.jpg

The pad for pin 1 lifted, as can be seen here. After some cursing, I noticed in the tutorials it's actually not needed, as pin 1 of the new chip should be lifted & soldered to pin 23. Jammy or what :cool: It's fixable should it happen on another pad though, not really a big deal.

2uepk4p.jpg

New BIOS soldered into place

14c7ck0.jpg

Pin 44 of the new chip wired to pin nine of the adjacent chip, the point is very small so I added a strip of insulation tape to help secure it. And the happily lifted pin 1 of the new chip, soldered to its own pin 23, which is soldered to the mobo.

95o85v.jpg

2hnb85u.jpg

Console back together, won't be needing this anymore. As I mentioned, you can keep the original bios if you wish & have it selectable with a switch. I don't know why you'd want that, but its an option nonethless.

2ee94q1.jpg

All going well, you should see the dev bios animation

2i8kt5e.jpg

34fl35j.jpg

The console is now truly region free, no more region flashing or changing, region checks simply don't exist. Nice :cool:

Here's the boot animation someone put up on youtube, if your console is PAL the swirl will be blue as normal etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

good man EN! I never had chance to do my DC, still have few chips to play around.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

EnterNow wrote: »
    Original bios removed, I desoldered rather then snipping the pins

How did you go about desoldering?

Did you solely use braid, or a pump also?

Haven't tried desoldering an SMT part yet, but I'd say its tricky if you do not remove all the solder from each pad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Lovely mod, but I like the one the Doc did as I have the orange swirl now. :D

Do you have to flash that dev bios on to a blank rom? Or can they be bought ready to go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

waveform wrote: »
    How did you go about desoldering?

Did you solely use braid, or a pump also?

Haven't tried desoldering an SMT part yet, but I'd say its tricky if you do not remove all the solder from each pad!

I desoldered each leg individually, by heating it up with a fine tipped low watt iron, & then when the solder became molten I simply and gently pried the legs off the pads . I didn't actually remove all the solder from the pads either, I removed the old solder with a pump then tinned each pad instead. I tinned the chip legs then, & it was simply a matter of lining up the legs & flowing the solder for a perfect join.
    Pyongyang wrote: »
    Lovely mod, but I like the one the Doc did as I have the orange swirl now. :D

Do you have to flash that dev bios on to a blank rom? Or can they be bought ready to go?

You could get the red swirl if you want, you simply have to have your DC in NTSC mode beforehand. This would involve doing the old region flashing mod also though, hardly worth it. The dev boot screen is cool enough in blue for me :cool:

I got the chip from Docentore actually, he has some that are preflashed & ready for installation as in this case. You can buy them that way, there's a link on mmmonkeys site to a retailer, not sure if its the same ones Doc got though?

Advertisement