Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boylesports

Options
  • 12-11-2011 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Decided to back Ireland today :p to beat Estonia (Didn't think it would that easy!).
    Boyles big add "We won't be beaten on Price" so off I go to a Boyles shop.
    7/5 was the price so placed a big bet with no problems.
    Getting chipper on the way home and while waiting, popped in a Powers shop next door to see the racing results from Dundalk.

Walked in and there on a screen was Ireland 6/4 :mad:
    Asked the bloke how long had they been 6/4 and he said since yesterday.
    He said he had taken a few 4 figure bets on it and it had been very popular.
    I nearly blew a gasket.
    If Powers had been 6/4 all Friday and Thursday, how can Boyles advertise they were best price at 7/5?
    I will having a chat with the manager in the shop tomorrow & if I don't get paid at 6/4, the Advertising Authority will be getting a phone call on Monday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭netnerd

If their 'we won't be beaten on price' promotion applied to the Ireland game, then I'm sure they'll pay you at 6/4.

Not sure where you get 7/4 from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I got a text about that too. I went on to oddschecker shortly after and they were the biggest on it,that was about 5 last night

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Powers were 7/5 all day on the web, thats what it would be checked against not in shop prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭AstonMartin

Contact the advertising commission and see what they have to say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Why anybody bets with boyles is a mystery to me there prices are always 1/2 a point shorter than paddypower.

And the new website made me want to punch myself in the face the one time i used it.

• Advertisement

I bet with them becuase they're right beside college.
    I'd always check oddschecker first because there's a Hills up the road. In fairness I think Boyles have gotten much better of late,but wouldn't like their specials.

The 3rd place each way greyhound one is laughable

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭whatsupdoc?

because there's a Hills up the road.
    Not for much longer, Boyles bought them out.

The 3rd place each way greyhound one is laughable

And the most annoying thing is, it's a repeat from last month.

I know yeah but at the minute they are useless (Hills)

I went in at about half ten one morning to do a bet. Checked the price online. Walked half an hour into the shop and the price wasn't up in the shop yet,instead they had ''early prices'' on other races. What a joke

PP/Boyles just as good/bad as each other imo.

Both websites are crap, although the Boyles live betting interface is miles better than the PP one.

What I really dont understand is why people only have online accounts with 1 or the other, just because theyre based in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭seklly

netnerd wrote: »
    What I really dont understand is why people only have online accounts with 1 or the other, just because theyre based in Ireland.

I agree, i have accounts with over 15 firms all linked to my moneybookers wallet where i keep my funds. Can deposit instantly to any of them depending on the best odds. Gotta take every edge you can!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I can't remember 2 passwords, let alone 15 :o

I use the same for nearly everything

Not a good idea if 1 is hacked, all the others are compromised.
    Speaking from experience :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭paulb06

seklly wrote: »
    I agree, i have accounts with over 15 firms all linked to my moneybookers wallet where i keep my funds. Can deposit instantly to any of them depending on the best odds. Gotta take every edge you can!

Sorry Seklly, not too familiar with Moneybookers, I see you can use Laser with them. Would prefer to do that and not deposit straight from my bank a/c into a bookmaker. So can you instantly deposit money into your moneybookers a/c and then deposit from Moneybookers to a Bookmaker a/c?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

netnerd wrote: »
    PP/Boyles just as good/bad as each other imo.

Both websites are crap, although the Boyles live betting interface is miles better than the PP one.

As bas each other how? paddys prices are better and the website is much easier to navigate. Boyles website is clunky and takes an age to load since they updated it, ask yourself why they still allow customers to still use the old website.

Boylesports need to have a word with their staff and explain their bets to
    them.
    Friday Boyles had up a SP Fav placepot at Haydock at 7/2.
    That is all 6 SP favs to be placed at the meeting.
    Only T&C on the screen was "Placepot rules apply to jt & co Favs".
    So for a jt or co fav to be placed, it goes on the lowest race card number.

Ladbrokes had the same bet up at 8/1 so I knew there was something up as Boyles (& PP) are nearly always bigger on the SP Favs placepots.
    There was a 4 runner race so I knew this was going to be the difference.
    Up I go to the counter and ask the girl "What are the rules for the 4 runner race?".
    (Normal racing rules in a 4 runner field is win only market and no places.)
    She says the horse must finish in the 1st 2 places in the race.
    This would explain the difference in prices.
    I asked just to be sure in Ladbrokes and they said it had to win.
    Later on I pased a different Boyles and went in and just to make sure, went up and asked the staff member what was the rule with the 4 runner race at Haydock.
    He replied the horse must win the race!
    If this was the case with Boyles, then the price shoudl have been between 7/1 and 10/1 and not 7/2.
    Very strange that 2 different staff members in 2 different shops have different rules.
    Ladbrokes & PP have always done Racing Rules with regards to SP Fav Placepots.

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Boylesports need to have a word with their staff and explain their bets to
    them..............

People make mistakes dude, I find Boylesports staff to be both knowledgable and helpful. Not correct 100% of the time admittedly.

Wouldn't dispute the fact that people can make mistakes but it is very sloppy.

What if somebody had a bet and was told the horse had to win, all others are placed, the horse finishes 2nd (A winner according to another shop) and he throws the slip in the bin and doesn't collect?

What if somebody had a bet and was told the horse had to win, all others are placed, the horse finishes 2nd (A winner according to another shop) and he throws the slip in the bin and doesn't collect?

In fairness anyone gnomey enough to not know what a 7/2 shot smells like shouldn't be punting.

To answer your question literally
    - the docket is binned so it goes unclaimed
    - the person is a regular customer and another staff member spots the winning bet was not claimed and recognises their handwriting and mentions it to them (yes it happens)

either way, not the end of the World really.

Boyles and PP both bet to the same %s

So how anyone could say that either has better prices than the other is wrong.
    Perhaps they are always seem to be best price on the selections you want to back? Which would make Boyles incredibly smart bookmakers, no?

The flash content on Boyles sucks, but the live betting is 10x better than on PP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I've always the live markets a bit lacking no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Derek!

Bet365 all day long for in play bets IMO, it's far superior than any I used

live betting offer on Boyles is quite limited, but its presented in a much better way than PP. I dont use either though.

365 is definitely the daddy, presentation and offer wise. But the markets are suspended more often than theyre available, and their nickname of Bet £3.65 is fully justified.

I agree about the whole suspended thing, sometimes I watch live bettin on bet365 and PP and I see the bettin suspended at times for nothin while PP are still takin bets on the same game :confused:

watch live bettin on bet365 and PP and I see the bettin suspended at times for nothin while PP are still takin bets on the same game

Bet 365 might have a quicker feed to the game?

Bet 365 might have a quicker feed to the game?
    possibly, that could be nice ;)

365 dont have a quicker feed to the game, they use data feeds that auto trade the games. Betting is suspended whenever they receive a "dangerous attack"(or similar) alert.

Boyles ad in yesterday's paper

X Factor next elimination

Misha B 12/1 :eek::eek:

Get on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭POINTBREAK

Boylesports are a disgrace. Watch this Punter getting a £1 bet refused after he lost £6000 with them.

• Advertisement

Sounds like they were doing him a favour if you ask me

Advertisement