Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on a 911?

Options
  • 20-11-2011 9:46pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've pretty much decided that my next car is going to be a classic 911. I realise this is a big purchase and I need to get a good one or I could end up with a money pit.I want to buy one in good condition i don't want a dooer-upper. I will be prepared to maintain it properly when I get it though.

I ride a motorbike day to day to work and back, so it's not going to be a 'daily runaround' as such. I understand its not good to do short journeys in these cars, they need 20 mins plus to get the engine to temp. I assume the odd short journey is ok? Does anyone know what mpg to expect out of a car like this? Roughly?

There does not seem to be too many of these around really. Ideally I want one in black with the whale tale. I've found a lovely 1977 911 3.0l (non SC) in what seems to be fantastic condition. Going to go have a look at it soon. Looking online there are some SC 2.7's but I'm told the Carrera 3.0 is better and more rare also. Looking online there are no too many around really. I saw a lovely one on pistonheads from £10k - unfortunately it sold in days. Not many others that I can see but maybe I'm not looking in the right places. Are there any sites anyone can recommend?

The other thing I have to think about - is it silly to buy one now coming into the winter? Usually i put my bike away for most of the winter due to the cold, wet & icy. Am I mad?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I had an 86 3.2, and I was getting around 15l/100kms. Have you driven one yet? They're very different from a modern car, i'd say the first thing you need to find out is whether you actually like driving one. Re winter driving, it should be ok-ish, if you get a decent set of winter tyres, and if you buy one with a working heater. Mine worked well, but I was told by several people that this is very rare. And finally - and this is a personal thing - but i'd buy one without the whaletail. Quite apart from the marmite looks, it's dead weight and in the worst possible place for a 911.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ahal

There are far worse ideas out there :)

I've always fancied the shape of the 911, and have progressively disliked more and more the updates on the original 'Whale tail' effort. I'm no mine of technical information but 'Wheeler dealers' did an episode on the 911, it might be worth a look on youtube.

Edit: Well strictly speaking the Whale tail isn't the original of course, just iconic in my mind :p

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I have been a passenger in one a good few times as a friend owns one, and I absolutely loved it, but yes I do need to drive one properly. I love the tail, personally without it I think they look more dated. 15l/100km is about 18mpg - does that sounds right? Not great but could be worse I suppose. I get about 25mg out of my current car which isn't much good either.

I did see the wheeler dealers episode on the 911 but it was the 2.7SC and in a horrible green! I've just fallen in love with this model/shape:

911-carrera-3-b.jpg
    911-carrera-3.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Zascar wrote: »
    I've pretty much decided that my next car is going to be a classic 911. I realise this is a big purchase and I need to get a good one or I could end up with a money pit.I want to buy one in good condition i don't want a dooer-upper. I will be prepared to maintain it properly when I get it though.

I ride a motorbike day to day to work and back, so it's not going to be a 'daily runaround' as such. I understand its not good to do short journeys in these cars, they need 20 mins plus to get the engine to temp. I assume the odd short journey is ok? Does anyone know what mpg to expect out of a car like this? Roughly?

There does not seem to be too many of these around really. Ideally I want one in black with the whale tale. I've found a lovely 1977 911 3.0l (non SC) in what seems to be fantastic condition. Going to go have a look at it soon. Looking online there are some SC 2.7's but I'm told the Carrera 3.0 is better and more rare also. Looking online there are no too many around really. I saw a lovely one on pistonheads from £10k - unfortunately it sold in days. Not many others that I can see but maybe I'm not looking in the right places. Are there any sites anyone can recommend?

The other thing I have to think about - is it silly to buy one now coming into the winter? Usually i put my bike away for most of the winter due to the cold, wet & icy. Am I mad?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks
    I commute by bike too, and had a 911 before my 968's.

The oddshort trip is fine,but by and large, avoid them. There's 13 litres of oil to be heated, so a good 30 mins of a run is a good target.
    At this stage a lot if early cars fall into 2 camps: minded and well kept, and strung together. Bodywork js a killer and there are no cheap shortcuts. Whatever your budget,get a good PPI, and two that come to mind are Jon Miller of www.classiccarworkshop.ie in Killaloe, and a guy called Bryan Kane in Dublin. What they don't know about Porsche's isn't worth knowing, and both Are very reasonable.
    Do not buy a 911 lightly - seeing as you like Targa's , there's a lovely one for sale by a guy called Reuben in Porsche Club Ireland.
    Take your time, there loads out there. I don't think importing is a runner atmo, due to lunatic VRT.

Happy to fill you in on my 911 experience if you want drop me a PM.

Have you a garage, btw?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I have had a 74 911 targa for about 6 years now, love it still, one thing i would say is avoid Targas because they leak a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭superfly35

Just wondering are you looking at 911 only or you would fancy other model like 924, 924S, 928, 944, 912 ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks guys. Superfly I'm fairly set on a 911 I think. I will avoid the Targa - although one of the photos above was of a Targa, I prefer the look of the hardtop anyway.

I live in a apartment block so there is underground parking. Should keep her safe and dry. So try to avoid any journey less than 30 mins. Hmm, thats fine if its your second car - Yes I do drive a bike but what about going to the shops etc? What actually happens when you do short journeys?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭wittymoniker

Short journeys are fine as long as you don't abuse it while cold. My 1979 930 is almost a daily driver and it is bullet proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,053 ✭✭✭✭unkel

galwaytt wrote: »
    I don't think importing is a runner atmo, due to lunatic VRT.

OP is looking at a '70s 911. VRT is only €200!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

911-carrera-3.png
    Hmmm - delicious! (Though I would be of the no-whale fin school :)).

I have a 924 but know nowt about 911s other than having driven in one. Best of luck in your search!

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »

Yes that is what I heard, no VRT just a registration charge. This is why I was thinking importing might be a good idea, better selection in UK, better chance of finding a good one hopefully - might be cheaper too, exhange rate is not too bad right now. However if I could get one here it would be cool. I've found a lovely one down the road from me, full history etc and looks like a minter from the photos. It's not the cheapest but if I like it I'll see if I can bargain him down.

Anyone know where I should be looking to try to find 30+ year old 911's in the UK?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

no VRT just a registration charge.

It is VRT. It is Category C VRT and that is why it is now €200.

Anyone know where I should be looking to try to find 30+ year old 911's in the UK?
    Pistonheads classifieds have plenty of eye candy. :)

(That search is for pre-80 911s!)

unkel wrote: »
    I don't think importing is a runner atmo, due to lunatic VRT.

Double check that, and get it in writing from Revenue, so. They took all Porsches off the online system, and they are now evaluated under a 'Classic and Collectible' regime.........iow, they make it up.
    If you can get one in for €200, absolutely, fire away, but usual caveats apply on the car itself....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Double check that, and get it in writing from Revenue, so. They took all Porsches off the online system, and they are now evaluated under a 'Classic and Collectible' regime.........iow, they make it up.
    If you can get one in for €200, absolutely, fire away, but usual caveats apply on the car itself....

Vehicles over 30 years old pay €200 VRT only.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭SilverBell

Was wondering what was up with their site alright. Checked there a few days back, was browsing 928s in the UK. Went to revenue and all they had were 356 variants.

Unless they deem the 356 to be a non-classic or non-collectible.......:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Daxklynsmith

agree totally with Galway TT, my 82 SC had been a dream since a Family friend imported the first 911s.
    I had mine for 3 months before I sold it, it is an unforgiving car when you make a mistake, and everyone makes mistakes.

my first was a reflexive lift on the loud pedal halfway through a 6 lane banked corner at 160kph because something dark ran across te road,without thinking I put my foot down again, and that was all she wrote for about 300 yards.

I used up most of the 6 lanes and became a very devout person for century it took.
    love them, admire them, but I wont own one again, especially with added weight over the back wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

agree totally with Galway TT, my 82 SC had been a dream since a Family friend imported the first 911s.
    I had mine for 3 months before I sold it, it is an unforgiving car when you make a mistake, and everyone makes mistakes.

my first was a reflexive lift on the loud pedal halfway through a 6 lane banked corner at 160kph because something dark ran across te road,without thinking I put my foot down again, and that was all she wrote for about 300 yards.

I used up most of the 6 lanes and became a very devout person for century it took.
    love them, admire them, but I wont own one again, especially with added weight over the back wheels.

Pah, try the same in a 6.6 V8 and you'll know all about it! :cool:

SilverBell wrote: »

Unless they deem the 356 to be a non-classic or non-collectible.......:cool:

Yeah, bloody odd, isn't it?

Ode To The Motorist

Yikes - what I want to know is where you found 6 lanes and a banked corner !

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Daxklynsmith

Yikes - what I want to know is where you found 6 lanes and a banked corner !

You know where I come from, Ben Schoeman M1 Highway coming up from Rivonia road lefthand turn towards Pretoria, South Africa.
    There are one or two other South Africans on here who will know the road as well, it turns in with a full lane emergency lane both sides plus three lanes wide plus a verge, joining up another 150 metres with the full M1 North.
    sped limit 120 kph, average speed 140kph, after midnight, whatever you can can get away with.

have pics of the road if you like?
    http://static.flickr.com/143/320482950_3f5b6c2025.jpg?v=0

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Alkers

Zascar, have you looked into classic insurance with having a bike as your main policy or do you have a car also?

I got a quote for €450 with up to 5000 miles, and an extra 100 if I go another 5000, so fairly happy with that!

I got a quote for €450 with up to 5000 miles, and an extra 100 if I go another 5000, so fairly happy with that!
    Was that a classic policy or did you need to have another car insured?

€322 here for my 968 :)

Ode To The Motorist

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    €240 for my 924 :)
    €260 for mine. :(

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Was that a classic policy or did you need to have another car insured?

It was as my main and only car - classic policy - up to 5000 miles

It was as my main and only car - classic policy - up to 5000 miles

That's very good, did they give you anything off for having the bike? Can I ask who that was with?
    Thanks and good luck with the 911!

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    €322 here for my 968 :)

€240 for my 924 :)

me has bigger pistons :)

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,053 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I paid €325 fully comp for the '86 310BHP 4.7l 928 as my only car on a classic policy with First Ireland - 4k miles max iirc. Parked on the driveway.
    me has bigger pistons :)

You have only half of my engine :p

Advertisement