Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skyrim PC Control Issues

Options
  • 11-11-2011 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭

Anyone else noticed this ?

When You bind an action to a mouse button, save & quit Skyrim. Next time you load in it resets the controls to default and you have to rebind them.

Its happened me 3 times now, every time its gone back to default...

Quite annoying...

Also seems to be an issue with putting spells/weapons in your left hand, you have to right click to do so ? Wouldn't left clicking for left hand and right clicking for right hand make more sense ?

Maybe its just me...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well left click is attack, right click is block and because of the right handed fascism that governs our world that's just how it has to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MrScow

Hello,
    Sorry for the long post but this is really annoying.
    I've noticed this same problem while playing Skyrim last night. At first my left and right mouse buttons where reversed in the controls menu which I thought was the initial problem. Of course after reassigning the controls which was also an issue since you cannot directly assign the left mouse button by clicking the left mouse button because it puts you in an infinite loop until you hit another key. Getting past that problem and having the controls now properly assigned I ran into the same problem as you where having. I have to hit the right mouse button to put a sword in my left hand. Not only has that been a problem but I am also completely and utterly unable to put a shield in my right hand. Regardless of what mouse button I press it will always assign it to my left hand. Getting past that severe annoyance I've also come to realize that assigning spells to one hand or the other is completely messed up. Clicking the right mouse button assigns a spell instantly to my left hand unequiping the sword that I had assigned to it. Then I have to click two more times since assigning spells cycle them from left to left and right to right. This means that once I do get a spell assigned to the correct hand I now have to reassign my sword which I constantly made the mistake of forgetting that everything is reversed and consequently unassigned the spell. I also have had a severe problem when attempting to assign spells to one hand or the other. For instance if I had a spell assigned to my right hand I cannot assign a different spell to that hand unless I first assign a sword. I am also unable to assign a healing spell to my right hand. I must admit that this is really pissing me off. Honestly Bethesda how do you mess up one of your main advertised points of how you can now install items to your left or right hand? And to top it all off how do you mess up the most basic of basics for any game on a PC and that is the left and right mouse buttons? I am seriously hoping that this problem is resolved in the day one patch which I still need to install or at least in a patch that should be released immediately. I mean the game is definitely an incredible game but I do seriously feel like Bethesda has come down a serious case of consolitis for them to have messed up the controls on the pc this badly.

Also check the game manual and you will see that they even got the controls for the mouse listed backwards to what they should be!!

Well fully reading through the manual it has become apparent that shields can only be equiped in the left hand. Sir Digby Chicken Caesar you are correct about right handed facism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 KsidE

http://l0.ro/28K - Others having problems as well.
    • One - is everything works properly using a XBox360 Controller (for PC). >> So me thinks this is a BUG.
    • Two - The inventory item ZOOM and Rotate have have problems too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ASH2

Korvanica wrote: »
    Anyone else noticed this ?

When You bind an action to a mouse button, save & quit Skyrim. Next time you load in it resets the controls to default and you have to rebind them.

Its happened me 3 times now, every time its gone back to default...

Quite annoying...

Also seems to be an issue with putting spells/weapons in your left hand, you have to right click to do so ? Wouldn't left clicking for left hand and right clicking for right hand make more sense ?

Maybe its just me...

As to the saving of rebinded keys start the game in administrator (or Windows won't let Skyrim change the file)

and for those that don't know how : Right click on the game icon and select 'Run as administrator' you then have to Allow skyrim to run

• Registered Users Posts: 2 KsidE

So, two things fixed everything for me.

[# 1] - The Update v1.1 fixed the mouse zoom/rotate for items (and possibly other stuff)
    [# 2] - Use the "E" key to set mouse buttons *

From [Menu > Controls] select (highlight) The Left hand key (for example) and instead of clicking the L mouse button to assign - press "E" (the use key).
    You will get the prompt for "press key to..." then you click your "Left Mouse Button" or whatever mouse button want for LEFT HAND.

Activating or not the XBox360 Controller in the menu make no difference.
    Only that if is unchecked [ ] will not be detected if you plug it in.

I have assigned L-MB for Left Hand and R-MB for right hand as it makes more sense since you can dual-wield.

----

In the Quick menu [Q] key after you've favourite items/spells with the [F] key, pressing the NUMPAD keys 1 to 8 (the nines are divine and so #9 cannot be assigned) will make instant access to that item/spell/etc when you press the #key.

Of course it's not perfect and it will always start from the left hand.
    For example if you have #3 set for "Heal" and have a sword in Left-Hand, pressing #3 (once) will replace the sword, pressing it again will replace whatever you have in Right-Hand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement