Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booking online with Irish Rail argh!!

Options
  • 06-02-2011 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

I just wanted to ask a quick question. Every time I book online for my train tickets, the first time I fill out all the info, once I click enter, it without fail tells me that something has gone wrong and to try again.

It brings me back to the start and I have to re-enter all of my info again. The second time it always works without fail.

At first I thought it was me and I was doing something wrong. But I wasn't. Then I thought I was taking too long filling out the info, but I actually timed myself and was quicker entering the info first time round.

Does this happen to anyone else. It has happened me about 6-7 times in the past year. It is very annoying :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

I just wanted to ask a quick question. Every time I book online for my train tickets, the first time I fill out all the info, once I click enter, it without fail tells me that something has gone wrong and to try again.

It brings me back to the start and I have to re-enter all of my info again. The second time it always works without fail.

At first I thought it was me and I was doing something wrong. But I wasn't. Then I thought I was taking too long filling out the info, but I actually timed myself and was quicker entering the info first time round.

Does this happen to anyone else. It has happened me about 6-7 times in the past year. It is very annoying :mad:

I used to have this problem before but I don't anymore. It was exactly the same as you described. I don't know what stopped it. It might be a firewall issue. I don't think I really investigated it. When's the most recent time it happened to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't actually book on-line that often and I've only ever had a fail once where it was the last screen that confirms the booking didn't come up.

Have you tried clearing your computer's cache, before starting the booking process? In Firefox Tools > Clear Private Data. In Internet Explorer, I think its Tools > Internet Options ? ????

With the settings I use, my computer retains all entries (except payment card), so you only need to type the first letter of the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭the west wing

It happened to me this evening! Also about a fortnight ago as well as a few times in October and during the summer. I know they don't charge me twice or anything it's just annoying knowing I'll have to re-enter the info all over again for no apparent reason!

I might try that the next time Victor, thanks. Does anyone know if there is a timelimit on how long you can process the transaction, like on ticketmaster?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

Happens me every single time, on all three separate machines I've used. I've emailed Irish Rail about it in the distant past, they said they'd look into it but it's still the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Never had a problem

The only tip is to wait for the page to load fully before selecting anything
    Use the select seats yourself option

Don't hit enter/return click the buttons instead and be sure to click the accept t&c's box

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Can people indicate:

Do you eventually get to book properly?
    What browser they are using? Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, etc.
    What operating system? Windows XP, Vista, Linux., etc.
    What type of trip are you booking?
    How many people are travelling?
    Does the form auto-complete as you start to type the words?
    Are you manually picking seats or having them automatically assigned?
    Are you an existing customer?
    How soon before travelling are you booking?
    Are you using a (a) credit card or (b) laser or (c) debit card? (Do not state brand)
    Have you filled in all information?
    Have you ticked "I have read and agree to the Terms and Conditions"?

Do you eventually get to book properly?
    Yes, always on my second attempt.

What browser they are using? Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, etc.
    Firefox

What operating system? Windows XP, Vista, Linux., etc.
    Windows Vista

What type of trip are you booking?
    Usually a return trip between Limerick and Dublin.

How many people are travelling?
    Just myself

Does the form auto-complete as you start to type the words?
    No

Are you manually picking seats or having them automatically assigned?
    Manually picking seats. I thought this might be the issue but the problem occurred when I automatically had them assigned as well.

Are you an existing customer?
    Yes

How soon before travelling are you booking?
    Usually about a day or two before the intended day of departure.

Are you using a (a) credit card or (b) laser or (c) debit card? (Do not state brand)
    Laser on most occasions

Have you filled in all information?
    Yes

Have you ticked "I have read and agree to the Terms and Conditions"?
    Yes

Just happened to me there again! So frustrating. I definitely had all the boxes ticked and info entered. Worked perfect second time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Happens to me every time with Firefox. Have to use Internet Explorer to book the tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

robbiezero wrote: »
    Happens to me every time with Firefox. Have to use Internet Explorer to book the tickets.

Good to know it works on something! Will try Chrome next time for experiment. What version of IE do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭robbiezero

lainey316 wrote: »
    Good to know it works on something! Will try Chrome next time for experiment. What version of IE do you have?

Works first time for me on IE8 and IE9. Chrome fails every time also for me. Madness in this day and age.

Advertisement