Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Snow Chains .

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Not illegal apparently, they are in some countries. Not because they'll damage your tires (as written in the AA article) but because they damage the roads. Snow socks or winter/all season tyres are the way to go IMHO
    http://blog.aaireland.ie/index.php/2011/10/24/road-safety/aa-responds-to-barrage-of-queries-about-snow-socks-and-chains

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 lilzor

i think i will buy one not because i cant drive on snow but because i know how big and cold this winter is going to be ... maybe any shops in Ireland are selling them ? i prefer to buy them from Irish shop then from ebay .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

I would advise the snowsock not the chains. Chains are a pain to fit and remove (especially the cheaper ones). Keep in mind the road surfaces can change quickly requiring you to fit/remove your chains/socks. This usually happens in locations where you would like to spend minimum time so ease of removal/fitting will be important. Socks are generally easy to fit/remove but will wear quicker if used on roads without snow cover.
    http://www.halfords.ie has a selection of chains/socks

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

They'll damage your tyres and alot of the time (especially with ebay jobbies), your wing.

If you have time to put them on for the few minutes of snow, then stop, get out, take them off, then carry on then work away. As soon as you hit tar again, your just damaging the chains, and its a matter of time before something breaks.

Last year (i work in a tyre center) we tried 7 different products. There was nothing that held up for the snow we got here in cork. I.e they worked prefectly on the snow. But once you hit the tar again (and its usually not far) they all break or do damage in their own way.

We got snow here for 2hrs on the saturday, and it just frozen solid for 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

flyguy wrote: »
    I would advise the snowsock not the chains. Chains are a pain to fit and remove (especially the cheaper ones). Keep in mind the road surfaces can change quickly requiring you to fit/remove your chains/socks. This usually happens in locations where you would like to spend minimum time so ease of removal/fitting will be important. Socks are generally easy to fit/remove but will wear quicker if used on roads without snow cover.
    http://www.halfords.ie has a selection of chains/socks
    . :eek:those snowsocks are a complete waste of money. they tear very easy and they have to be taken off after use. Snowchain spray is available on amazon. Works effectively and easy to apply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

. :eek:those snowsocks are a complete waste of money. they tear very easy and they have to be taken off after use. Snowchain spray is available on amazon. Works effectively and easy to apply

Agreed on the snow socks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Moved to motors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 lilzor

so what do you prefer for this winter ? i know that the winter tyre's are the best but they are also expansive , anything cheap ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Winter tyres might be expensive but they'll last for probably 2-3 years of winters

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Winter tyres might be expensive but they'll last for probably 2-3 years of winters
    +1, taken over a few years of motoring the only extra cost of winter tyres is is a set of second hand wheels to put them on. It does require an up front investment, but after that you're laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 TransplantedDub

The best thing is studded tires, not sure about picking them up easily in Ireland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

The best thing is studded tires, not sure about picking them up easily in Ireland though.

i wouldnt use studded tyres here only any use if your on ice

put straight winter tyres on last year just put them on again this week drove all last winter on them, got a second set of rims so i can swap them easier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

lilzor wrote: »
    i know how big and cold this winter is going to be ...

no you don't :rolleyes:

unless you live in Siberia

Advertisement