Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best breakfast

Options
  • 27-10-2011 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

Folks, where best for breakfast in Bray do you reckon? I normally go to Eddie Rockets, odd choice you might think but they do a great fry and their coffee is good. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭ClimberC

Dont know if this place is still around but my brother brought me to a place across from axa about 6 years ago. It was so good :eek:.

Think it was called "best breakfast in bray" ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Loved Molloy's in the Quinsborough Road. Also the breakfast in the Esplanade Hotel (they don't do them anymore) as they did really lovely eggs benedict and eggs florentine. The Tower Bistro/Heather House used to do a nice breakfast as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Climber thats the scullery and its still great. The Martello does a lovely breakfast too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Yeah, The Martello do a great breakfast - full Irish for €7.50 and I think that includes tea or coffee.... plus, you can sit outside and soak up the views or inside upstairs and watch the sea.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

foxy06 wrote: »
    Climber thats the scullery and its still great. The Martello does a lovely breakfast too.

Definition of a Greasy Spoon :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Thanks guys. Some good suggestions there. I thinks it's the scullery first then I'll try the Martello. Btw, give eddie rockets a try guys. It is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭HugoBradyBrown

One can break one's fast in a leisurely way in the cafe in the formal garden of Kilruddery House in Bray, with splendid coffee, delicious viennoiserie, fruity drinks and delightful conversation. Much to be recommended, and even more so for 'brunch' or for afternoon tea. Do try!

Hugo Brady Brown

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭kingtorres9

The Scullery was the best breakfast till about a year ago, It's gone a bit downhill but still better than most others. But if you want the best try Coffee & Treats on the Quinnsboro road after the launderette.A full breakfast costs €6 and you get two of everything. It is a BIG breakfast.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

One can break one's fast in a leisurely way in the cafe in the formal garden of Kilruddery House in Bray, with splendid coffee, delicious viennoiserie, fruity drinks and delightful conversation. Much to be recommended, and even more so for 'brunch' or for afternoon tea. Do try!

Hugo Brady Brown
    Indeed kind sir. Delightful conversation can make one's sautéed saucissons so much more agreeable to the palate.
    I shall instruct my driver to carry my personage thereto, forthwith.

slowburner wrote: »
    Indeed kind sir. Delightful conversation can make one's sautéed saucissons so much more agreeable to the palate.
    I shall instruct my driver to carry my personage thereto, forthwith.

Yes, I should think you and your party will greatly enjoy the experience. :)

Do check their opening times, though, if you propose to visit tomorrow, since it's a public holiday. If it's closed, you should be able to make do with something at Avoca in Kilmacanogue. Other than that, the area is a culinary desert.

Hugo Brady Brown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

ClimberC wrote: »
    Dont know if this place is still around but my brother brought me to a place across from axa about 6 years ago. It was so good :eek:.

Think it was called "best breakfast in bray" ??

Think they should be renamed worst breakfast in bray. Really poor quality cheap food used, cooked badly and too expensive. Even the red and brown source is some horrible cash and carry cheapo brand which ruins breakfast even more. It used to be good, had three bad ones now, after first bad one I thought give it another go, after the second I said I woulnd go again and after the third I havnt been since.

If you don't mind travelling up the road, pebbles near lidl in greystones do beautiful breakfasts.

Jimjay wrote: »
    Think they should be renamed worst breakfast in bray. Really poor quality cheap food used, cooked badly and too expensive. Even the red and brown source is some horrible cash and carry cheapo brand which ruins breakfast even more. It used to be good, had three bad ones now, after first bad one I thought give it another go, after the second I said I woulnd go again and after the third I havnt been since.

If you don't mind travelling up the road, pebbles near lidl in greystones do beautiful breakfasts.

What is a lidl?

Hugo Brady Brown

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

What is a lidl?

Hugo Brady Brown
    My Dear Hugo. You jest? A Lidl is a German device for preventing the steam escaping from your cook's saucepan whilst preparing your custard. Frightfully good idea - the savings on anthracite for the Aga are remarkable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

slowburner wrote: »
    My Dear Hugo. You jest? A Lidl is a German device for preventing the steam escaping from your cook's saucepan whilst preparing your custard. Frightfully good idea - the savings on anthracite for the Aga are remarkable.

Slowburner, my friend, I feel compelled to alert of your erronious belief!

As far as my understanding, a Lidl is the arcuate plastic upon the circumference of a traffic aperture, pedestrian or vehicular. It was devised by a Herr Clemens Lidl in order to allow movement and management of motorcades without the awareness of spy aircraft.

My dear Slowburner, I feel compelled to alert of your erronious belief!

As far as my understanding, a Lidl is the arcuate plastic upon the circumference of a traffic aperture, pedestrian or vehicular. It was devised by a Herr Clemens Lidl in order to allow movement and management of motorcades without the awareness of spy aircraft.
    Why my dear Pseud, I humbly implore you to accept my apologies. I have had a little port and perhaps a tincture of the colonel's Armagnac from his cellar in Bastide ( a fine Armagnac, I might add).
    The aforementioned tipples appear to have addled my senses somewhat.
    You are quite correct sir, it was Herr Aldi who invented the saucepan lid and not, as you so correctly point out, Herr C.Lidl - the consummate genius inventor of the 'Motorkraftenspyderunterdisken ®' in Bavaria, winter of 1903, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

scullery for the fry.

oli's for the coffee.

we need more places like these in bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭danois

The best fry i have had lately is in the new coffee shop up at shs. Its a huge cafe inside and foods lovely. They serve finbees coffee. Its just passed ballywaltrim but on other side of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

Used to go to "best breakfast in bray" but I found the food went down hill, last time I went there the food was almost cold- think it had been sitting for a while. They also have strange opening hours

Love Molloys, great food- full fry selection and the staff are lovely. Also not too expensive for the portion you get

Some good suggestions. Thanks guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

FirstIn wrote: »
    Some good suggestions. Thanks guys.
    Best coffee in best is a little Italian few doors down from dunnes on the quinnsboro rd,re breckie skip bray and go to 3Q's in greystones,tis not cheap though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The Scullery is by no means the best breakfast, as other's have said it's gone downhill.

Also, I find the decor to be really old fashioned.

Don't rate Molloy's either.....I hate breakfasts that are kept under hot lamps.

Really have to say that Bray's cafe choices are very poor.

When compared to place like Greystones or Dun Laoghaire I find a lot of the places in Bray to be rough and ready with very poor choice of food and quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

The Mermaid for there awesome veggie breakfast.

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    The Mermaid for there awesome veggie breakfast.

That's the Betelnut Cafe

I'll probably get slated for this old thread. I did try the Quinnsboro road offering. Cheap alright but not great.

Amy updates re where to go. Perhaps things have moved on and we have a clear favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

+1 for Betelnut in the Mermaid and the Martello's breakfast aint bad either, had Eggs Benedict in there the other day and I've been dreaming about them ever since.

+1 for Betelnut in the Mermaid and the Martello's breakfast aint bad either, had Eggs Benedict in there the other day and I've been dreaming about them ever since.
    Two I will try. Thank You.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Betelnut is nice but crazy expensive.

Personally find Betelnut over rated and over priced.

Had breakfast in Ocean Cafe (Katie Gallagher's) last week and it wasn't bit.

Similar choice to Martello but a little cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

I really like the ocean cafe for a weekend breakfast. The food is good, although really I'd like more choice on the menu. What I like most about it is how relaxed and quiet it is. There's no music playing and the staff don't bother you too much.

My brain power is pretty limited in the morning so I love it for the odd slow sunday breakfast.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestion of Ocean Cafe in Katie Gallaghers. I gave it a try this morning. I had the full Irish and it was spot on, good food and smartly presented with really nice coffee.
    My companion enjoyed his scrambled egg.
    Price wise it is great value. 8euro for a full Irish with tea/coffee. Service was without fault.
    Atmosphere, as said above, lovely and relaxed, a calmness.
    I enjoy breakfast out at the weekend, it's sort of taken the place of dinners out, and I'll be back. I'd give it a 8/10.

Advertisement