Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Apple TV (2nd Gen) - NOW €99 delivered (NO Tech Talk / Troubleshooting!) [Amazon]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭flyandrain

great deal, just placed the order,Thx;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Not sure about iOS5 and a jailbreak but for anyone wants similar device that's perfect for XBMC consider the Acer Revo 3610. It's only a few quid more and it's easier to install XMBC on then the Apple TV.

See here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056371139

Personally, I find the Icefilms' streams a little unreliable but other posters love it so perhaps it depends on your ISP (mine is a 25mb with UPC)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

BTW The Apple TV is long due an upgrade so expect a new device in 2012. There's also rumours of an actual Apple television in 2013...

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭shoxter

Before I proceed with buying can anyone confirm what firmware these are being shipped with? , sorry if i've missed it somewhere in the post

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

shoxter wrote: »
    Before I proceed with buying can anyone confirm what firmware these are being shipped with? , sorry if i've missed it somewhere in the post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

srfc1928 wrote: »
    Can anyone point me in the direction of a guide for how to install XBMC? I have it jailbroken and downloaded WinSCP but I'm completely lost now
    check my post which is 5 above yours.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75180447&postcount=108

the only thing they don't make clear on the lifehacker guide is that you'll need to download something like putty onto your pc to do the ssh part.

if you're still stuck then let us know and we'll give you more details.

flanzer wrote: »
    Jailbroke mine this morning and put on all the fancy stuff onto it. The only thing that is a bit annoying about icefilms is that a lot of the 720p films don't play and when you eventually find a good source for a 720p film, it buffers quite a bit.
    i think its down to it being a free megaupload account. i found the more popular SD content was mostly fine with the free account, but i think you'll need a premium one for HD stuff to stop it buffering.

also, i'm sure they prioritise bandwidth for files by popularity like youtube does, so you might find the less well used stuff is on slower servers and will buffer more.

silvine wrote: »
    Not sure about iOS5 and a jailbreak but for anyone wants similar device that's perfect for XBMC consider the Acer Revo 3610. It's only a few quid more and it's easier to install XMBC on then the Apple TV.

See here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056371139

Personally, I find the Icefilms' streams a little unreliable but other posters love it so perhaps it depends on your ISP (mine is a 25mb with UPC)
    i have an R3610 and tbh, if i had seen them standing side by side and just wanted a media player for my telly, it woud be hard to justify spending the extra on the R3610 imho.

that said, i do actually have them sitting side by side right now and i'm running win7 on the R3610 and typing this post on my Rii wireless keyboard and trackpad and it would be hard work trying to do that on the atv2 remote, so it's very much horses for courses. :)

as for icefilms, i'e had some occasional buffering on less popular streams with it in xbmc on the revo and i have 100mbps UPC so i don't think its my end.

funny thing actually, i can't get icefilms installed on the atv2, the repo is there, but it's empty. i installed it from the same zip file with no issues on the revo so i've no idea what the problem is. :(

Vibe I know this is off topic but can I ask where you got your Rii please? Best vendor/cheapest price? I have an XBOX running XBMC and use a Logitech Harmony 300i but I'm wondering if the Rii would be better. I have a R3600 in storage with XBMC Live on it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Is there any chance of amazon refunding me the difference in what i paid ?:rolleyes:

Well the answer to this question is, yes, there is a chance. Refunded me a credit note of £7.76 :)

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    funny thing actually, i can't get icefilms installed on the atv2, the repo is there, but it's empty. i installed it from the same zip file with no issues on the revo so i've no idea what the problem is. :(
    deleted the repo zip file off the atv2 and re-copied it with winSCP and then re-added it as an addon repo in xbmc and then it worked a treat. just downloading metadata now.
    Vibe I know this is off topic but can I ask where you got your Rii please? Best vendor/cheapest price? I have an XBOX running XBMC and use a Logitech Harmony 300i but I'm wondering if the Rii would be better. I have a R3600 in storage with XBMC Live on it too.
    i just got mine off ebay, it was the cheapest i could find it at the time.

make sure you get the v2 one tho, the earlier models weren't quite as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Here's one on Amazon @ £25.31 which is fulfilled by Amazon and qualifies for super saver delivery.

invest4deepvalue.com

just contacted amazon for a refund of the price difference since it was only at the higher price for a few days, so we'll see how that goes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Irish Kev

just took the plunge and ordered the ATV2, being running the Revo 3610 with xbmc live so am looking forward to my new toy arriving:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Just a note, I've been spending a good bit on amazon recently so that might have worked in my favour.

Here is my correspondence:
    Hi,

Can I get a partial refund on the difference on the price I paid and the current price of the item (£85), The product is un-openned and I could return it and re-order, but im sure it would be easier for all involved if there was partial refund instead. It a bit frustrating to see the price be cheaper before and after I purchased it! :)

I would be happy with a voucher of the difference

Thanks,
    Brian

Hello,

Thanks for writing to us about the recent price change on New Apple TV.

We recognise that you have a choice of retailers and appreciate that you prefer to order from us. Please note that we don’t extend a post-order price guarantee.

I've looked at your order and can see that the price change was significant and you just received this item from us. Under the circumstances, I'll make a one-time exception for you and issue a refund for the price difference in the amount of GBP 7.76. Refunds usually go through within 2 to 3 days and you’ll see this amount credited on your next statement. This doesn’t include your bank’s processing time.

(with further details)

Just a note, I've been spending a good bit on amazon recently so that might have worked in my favour.

Here is my correspondence:
    snap, i just got one too! :D
    Hello Customer,

Thanks for writing to us about the recent price change on 'New Apple TV'. We recognize that you have a choice of retailers and appreciate that you prefer to order from us. Please note that we don’t extend a post-order price guarantee.

I've looked at your order and can see that the price change was significant and you just received this item from us. Under the circumstances, I'll make a one-time exception for you and issue a refund for the price difference in the amount of 7.76 GBP. Refunds usually go through within 2 to 3 days and you’ll see this amount credited on your next statement. This doesn’t include your bank’s processing time.
    it probably doesn't hurt that i just did most of my xmas shopping and a big baby shop with them. :)

i was actually feeling like it was a personal note till i saw you got exactly the same thing. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

:mad:
    Hello Pete,

Thank you for contacting Amazon.co.uk.

The discounts we offer for items on our website vary from time to time.

After looking into your enquiry, I've checked your order #203-8155722-6929900 and found that we now offer a greater discount on "New Apple TV" than at the time you placed your order.

Unfortunately, we’re not able to offer you a refund for the difference between the original price and the lower price you saw on our website.

While we don't always beat the best available price on every product, we do offer deep discounts on many thousands of items. From time to time, prices on some items will change due to special offers from suppliers and manufacturers or our inventory and sales volumes. When we can offer a lower price for new purchases we will, but we cannot extend these discounts to completed orders.

I hope you'll be able to take advantage of the many discounts we offer on your next visit to our store.

Read our Help pages (http://www.amazon.co.uk/returns) for additional information about returns and refunds.

We're sorry for any inconvenience this situation may have caused.

We hope to see you again soon.

Did I solve your problem?

If yes, please click here:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/survey?p=AF4QWVQ3BYCJG&k=hy

If no please click here
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/survey?p=AF4QWVQ3BYCJG&k=hn

To contact us about an unrelated issue, please visit the Help section of our website: http://www.amazon.co.uk/help

Warmest regards,

Ramkumar G.
    Amazon.co.uk

emailed them back saying you've refunded others why not me. And I've spent loads since the free delivery over €25!!!!

not too bothered though. Got it all set up with a flashsportstreams account. Football and boxing streamed straight to tele, no jerkiness and only a few buffering over 6 hours watching and a 2meg connection. I'm well happy

:D
    Hello,

Thank you for contacting Amazon.co.uk.

I understand that you'd like us to refund the difference amount of GBP 7.76.

Under the circumstances, I'll make a one-time exception for you and issue a refund for the price difference in the amount of GBP 7.76. Refunds usually go through within 2 to 3 days and you’ll see this amount credited on your next statement. This doesn’t include your bank’s processing time.

When the refund is completed, we'll send you an e-mail to confirm the date, amount and payment details. You can see completed refunds if you visit Your Account, after receiving this confirmation e-mail.

You can see returns and refunds in the Your Account section of our website.

To do so follow these steps:

1. Click on Your Account at the top of any page of our website.

2. Under "Orders" click the "Your Orders" button, and sign in with your e-mail address and password.

3. On the left hand side of the order click on the “View Order Details” link. Completed returns and refunds will appear at the bottom of the individual order’s summary page.

Please understand that I'm issuing this refund because of the circumstances, and that this is against our standard policy.

I hope this helps and that we’ll see you again soon.

Did I solve your problem?

If yes, please click here:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/rsvp-y?c=vbyyvvqv3426430341

If no, please click here:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/rsvp-n?c=vbyyvvqv3426430341&q=ukff

To contact us about an unrelated issue, please visit the Help section of our website.

Warmest regards,

Ruchika Singhi

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Waiting for my ATV2 to arrive, I'll be jailbreaking it and putting on XBMC. Want to give it to my Mam as a media centre.

A question for all the users here, where do you store all your content? The ATV2 has an(undocumented) 8gb internal SC card. It also has a Micro-USB port for services but I understand this can be hacked to hook up an external HD for storage.

Do you just have a NAS server or PC turned on all the time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Speaking for myself.. I have a Synology DS-411slim NAS which the ATV2 connects to over WIFI N.Works great...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Slaanesh wrote: »
    Waiting for my ATV2 to arrive, I'll be jailbreaking it and putting on XBMC. Want to give it to my Mam as a media centre.

A question for all the users here, where do you store all your content? The ATV2 has an(undocumented) 8gb internal SC card. It also has a Micro-USB port for services but I understand this can be hacked to hook up an external HD for storage.

Do you just have a NAS server or PC turned on all the time?

I have XBMC set up to automatically send a WOL packet to the PC where my media is stored.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

carbsy wrote: »
    Speaking for myself.. I have a Synology DS-411slim NAS which the ATV2 connects to over WIFI N.Works great...

Hi

am looking at getting Synology as well...any chance you could advise how you set up your system? PM would be great if possible

DT

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

i currently have a Thecus N7700 NAS, but I'm in the process of decommissioning it and replacing it with a virtual FreeNAS box running on my ESXi 5 server.

it's actually copying data over at the moment, but I think it's going to be a little while before it finishes. :D

bignas.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

i currently have a Thecus N7700 NAS, but I'm in the process of decommissioning it and replacing it with a virtual FreeNAS box running on my ESXi 5 server.

it's actually copying data over at the moment, but I think it's going to be a little while before it finishes. :D

bignas.jpg
    What have you on that thing??

It's like you're speaking another language. What in the world is a ESXi 5 server? Good God!

What have you on that thing??
    *EVERYTHING!!! :D

*almost
    It's like you're speaking another language. What in the world is a ESXi 5 server? Good God!
    sorry, geeked out there for a minute. :)

it's basically and operating system (like windows or linux) which instead of just programs runs other operating systems inside it, so you can have several virtual computers running say windows or linux or OSX on a single server.

freenas is an operating system designed to act as a kind of file server which you'd normally install on an old pc and stick a few disks in to share your media collection across your home network, but by running it as a virtual server, i can run several other virtual machines at the same time alongside it on just one server.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Thats given me a headache

Thats given me a headache
    to be fair, it's given me a bunch of headaches, but it's worth it in the long run. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Hi... I've been researching the apple tv to try find out if it does what I want but can't find an answer.

If I jailbreak it, will it turn my tv into a net TV, allowing me to fully browse the net on my tv, using an ipad as a keyboard to type web addresses etc?

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement