Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merchant Navy

Options
  • 09-10-2011 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

I tracked down some family members on the IrishMariners.ie website. It lists the ships they served on from circa 1918-23 but is there anyway to find out where these ships sailed to?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

What were the ships names and what companies owned them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Voyages:
    1919-01-21 Andalusian ON 140557 of Liverpool (Ellerman Lines)
    1919-11-22 Fernandina ON 127430 of W. Hartlepool (Furness, Withy & Co)
    1920-03-16 Ben Nevis ON 121225 of Glasgow (Watson Bros)
    1921-08-20 Carrigan Head ON 113508 of Belfast (Heyn, G)

I know that he travelled to New York and South America but that may have been before 1919 or after 1923.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,993 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Voyages:
    1919-01-21 Andalusian ON 140557 of Liverpool (Ellerman Lines)

I can only see when that one stopped sailing.:(
    ANDALUSIAN 140557 17/3/41 Torpedoed and sunk by U-106 (Oesten)

http://www.sscityofcairo.co.uk/warlosses.php

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Ellerman and here

Furness Line

The Ben Nevis and the Watson Bros

Finally, Carrigan Head - there is a photo of the ship here if you join the forum. That company still exists, but as a shipping agent now (no ships of their own).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

The answer to your question seems to be a publication called Lloyd's List. See the post dated 20 Feb 2006 and time stamped 22.24 in this link:
    http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=4825

It is held by the Guildhall Library in London although I saw on another site that there are microfilm copies of some of the records in other libraries. I couldn't see a reference to anywhere in Ireland but I'm sure they'd point you in the right direction if there is anywhere. There are access arrangements on www.cityoflondon.gov.uk as the Guildhall has merged with the London Metropolitan Archives.

If you go ahead, would you mind posting about how you get on please. My grandfather was in the Merchant Navy for a while so I'd be interested to chase this up as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Pearse St library has that on microfilm but I'm not sure how far it goes into the 20th century. I looked at it before to eliminate someone who I reckoned just had the same name by chance as my ancestor and was right - sea captain who happened to die here.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

My GG Grandfather had shares in a ship called the Don Juan. Would Lloyd's list be the best place to try and get more details on that?
    All I know about it is the name, which unfortunately is a fairly common name.

What are your gg grandfather's dates of birth and death? Might help narrow down the correct ship if it a common name.

When you say that Don Juan is a common name, do you mean in the modern context or during your gg grandfather's lifetime?

There are some 18th and 19th century issues of Lloyd's List online so you can see type of content it contains:
    http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/000549597

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

CeannRua wrote: »
    What are your gg grandfather's dates of birth and death? Might help narrow down the correct ship if it a common name.

When you say that Don Juan is a common name, do you mean in the modern context or during your gg grandfather's lifetime?

There are some 18th and 19th century issues of Lloyd's List online so you can see type of content it contains:
    http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/000549597

He was born around 1800 and he died in 1883. I have a document from 1839 stating that he paid a 800 pounds for land and a ship which his brother had previously owned.
    I have previously tried to search for a record of this ship online and although I had no idea where to search I found that there seemed to be a lot of Don Juans in the 19th Century.

There is Lloyd's Register of shipping as well as Lloyd's list. On this page: http://www.maritimearchives.co.uk/lloyds-register.html
    there are digitised versions of it for lots of years. If you look at 1839 there is a ship called the Don Juan registered in Belfast, owner is Moor. I don't see it in 1840. In 1841, the owner is Harrison. It looks to be the same ship judging by tonnage and year of construction.

I don't know if either of these names makes sense. If not, it could be that if you gg grandfather was only a minor owner and that his name didn't go in the Register?? Or if you want to post or PM his name, can take another look.

The other thing is if there was a legal agreement signed around the purchase of the land and ship, it could be registered in the Registry of Deeds or maybe that is the document you have already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

Corsendonk wrote: »
    I tracked down some family members on the IrishMariners.ie website. It lists the ships they served on from circa 1918-23 but is there anyway to find out where these ships sailed to?

I'd been on this site before but hadn't found one of my maternal relatives previously. Went on again as a result of this thread and lo he's there - James Alex(ander) McCullen, from Portaferry, Co Down.

Advertisement