Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom is the best FPS ever

Options
  • 09-10-2011 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭

Fck it, I don't care about COD or Halo or whatever FPS is meant to be great. Doom rocks for a few reasons.

1. Demons
    2. OTT weapons
    3. Large numbers of enemies
    4. A kick ass soundtrack

The style and delivery of the game are unsurpassed. I say this from a position of complete nostalgia and subjectivity, however if a game is good I'll be the first to say it, regardless of whether its old or new but no fps game except for Quake (which didn't quite reach the awesome level of doom because it was mostly brown and gloomy with a soundtrack that while good wasn't as ass kicking), has reached the heights of Doom. Doom didn't involve aliens, wasn't a boring war based fps or attempted to imitate reality, it was just a badass game with demons, space marines, demonic landscapes, armies of hellish minions, a vast array of ridiculous weapons and futuristic architecture coupled with heavy metal. I don't see many games threading in its footsteps.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

I still prefer Doom on my PS1 to any of the COD, Halo or GOW games tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

If you still have it on the ps1, look up code for the hidden "club doom" level.

It was set in a nightclub and had a stomping german hardcore soundtrack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

FPS is one genre I will never understand the attraction or appreciate. I never have, probably never will.*

*except for the Thief and Rainbow Six games if they count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

If ya get a chance load up an emulator for the N-Gage and have a go of Ashen, excellent fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

I'm going to be a maverick and say Wolfenstein 3D is better :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Half-Life 1 + 2 > All

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Blake Stone :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Call of............ Ah feck it:pac:

Actually Doom on GBA is great fun so yeah I likey Doom

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Doom was the dogs nuts but now it is plain it was and remains a key fetching exercise, the game was breathtaking at the time but quickly replaced by more shiny key fetch games like Duke 3D before Half life took the Holland wiped its ass with it.
    Then Half Life 2 came along and continued to school everyone in how its done.
    Its arguable that as soon as the Counter strike mod came out ID ceases to be relevant and have been playing catch up ever since..

COD games have been recycling the same crap since COD 2 and only the Battlefield titles seem to have been willing to evolve.
    Halo has been controversial, I these parts at least, but overall has added some sophistication to console fps
    I see the response to Rage, the latest opus from ID, has been receiving little more than sevens from all and sundry, coming across like a Borderlands /Fallout 3 wannabe.
    Me, I bought Dark Souls instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I'm just going to go on record here and say hand on heart that Half Life sucks balls. 1. no demons. 2. gay plot. 3. no heavy metal. Its just a sci fi shooter which wins out on convention. I never understood the appeal of Half Life, that said I never understood the appeal of lots of things that are meant to be great but aren't like Planescape and bands like Mastodon or Tool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

I'm just going to go on record here and say hand on heart that Half Life sucks balls. 1. no demons. 2. gay plot. 3. no heavy metal. Its just a sci fi shooter which wins out on convention. I never understood the appeal of Half Life, that said I never understood the appeal of lots of things that are meant to be great but aren't like Planescape and bands like Mastodon or Tool.

You can slag off HalfLife / Halo and any game you want around here but not Mastodon:mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm not even giving you the satisfaction of replying to that since you appear to have invented bizarre criteria for what warrants a good FPS while ignoring vital elements like gameplay, character, mechanics etc...

'No heavy metal'? *shakes head sadly*

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I luvs Doom.I remember the first time I saw it I was blown away .We'd played a shedload of wolfenstein in college , but doom was freaking amazing looking .And then there was deathmatch fun.
    I've a softspot for the 'Blood' games as well ,as well as shadow warrior.Duke was always a bit ****e though
    Tbh I've always thought HalfLife was a bit over rated .there was waay to much jumping on freaking crates for me to be totally honest.
    Mind you it helped bring Team fortress into the world.
    On the other hand it gave the world the gob****e magnet that is Counterstrike so it evens out I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

goldeneye 64 i mean come on guys the multiplayer, the missions, just epic

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭barrmur

Bit of a Quake fan myself. Cant believe it hasn't been mentioned. Nothing better than going on the rampage with a Quad Damage!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Doom didn't involve aliens,.

What do you think you were killing and what planet was the game set on?

I rest my case.

Doom 3 though, it was a solid shooter but was very overlooked except for hardcore Id fans. I though it was fairly good on the PC when it came out.

As for Doom 1 and 2. I could never play them when they came out. I got very bad motion sickness from them, same with Duke Nukem. Even today when I try and play them again I can only last about 15 mins at a time or else I get bad head aches and want to vomit.

I've tried the Dooms and Duke on the PC, SNES, PS1/2 and 360, makes no difference. The Quake engine does not have that effect on me but poor old Quake, it needs a kick start with Quake 5 asap. 4 near killed it's good name.

I rest my case.

Doom 3 though, it was a solid shooter but was very overlooked except for hardcore Id fans. I though it was fairly good on the PC when it came out.

As for Doom 1 and 2. I could never play them when they came out. I got very bad motion sickness from them, same with Duke Nukem. Even today when I try and play them again I can only last about 15 mins at a time or else I get bad head aches and want to vomit.

I've tried them on the PC, SNES, PS1/2 and 360, makes no difference.
    Demons from hell. Not aliens

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Mega Chin wrote: »
    Demons from hell. Not aliens

Ok, alien demons then:D. I thought all the Doom games were set on Mars? Or was that just 3, that's the only one I ever finished.

Ok, alien demons then. I though all the Doom games were set on Mars?

They are but the monsters come from hell afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭barrmur

Anyone remember Serious Sam? OK not a classic for everyone but for pure mayhem and mad amount of weapons and enemies it has to also get a mention.

• Advertisement

I rest my case.

This is a fellow who seems to suggest that the only way to have a good FPS is 1. to feature demons (demons > aliens, don't you know, according to some looney criteria) 2. not be homosexual in terms of plot (because we all know the homosexual undertones and overtones of Half-Life are significant and distracting to all) and 3. to have as much loud music as humanly possible, since heavy metal is clearly the greatest audio achievement of mankind.

I don't think any case that is presented shall persuade him otherwise.

They see me trollin', they hatin'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

From the same era as Doom - Descent was a top notch FPS

Descent.png

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Descent.png

Descent was pretty good , but there was a lot of "what way up AM I?!?!?"
    If we're talking about early FPSs ..Rise of the Triad was great craic as well.
    Oh and I mentioned it elsewhere but "Terminator-Future shock" was great and way ahead of its time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

goldeneye 64 i mean come on guys the multiplayer, the missions, just epic

Nah it's aged so badly, at the time it was great sure but now? Not so much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Don't even stop to get your coat, we'll post it to whatever gutter you and your taste in games currently reside in... ;)

Descent.png

I bought the two Descent games at launch and, well, they emptied themselves all over Doom, a proper 3D fps, endlessly interesting, the rush as you hunt for the exit after the reactor goes critical is brilliant.
    I still have them for my PS1, great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Azure_sky wrote: »
    I still prefer Doom on my PS1 to any of the COD, Halo or GOW games tbh.

Doom system-link death match on the PS1 was great - used to play it lots with a mate using a CD swap trick to allow playing with just one copy of the game. Ah, them were the days

Gonna throw this out there - IMO Halo series has to be one of the most over rated FPS I've ever played

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,963 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Doom was the dogs nuts but now it is plain it was and remains a key fetching exercise, the game was breathtaking at the time but quickly replaced by more shiny key fetch games like Duke 3D before Half life took the Holland wiped its ass with it.

I wouldn't say that Doom is the best FPS ever because Doom 2 exists and I think there's a very good argument for Doom 2 being the best FPS game ever, yes even better than both half-life games. I say this because there are no other games like Doom or Doom 2 on the PC or consoles. I actually don't feel that Duke Nukem 2D or the other build engine games replaced Doom because they were nothing like doom.

Name any other FPS game were you face as many enemies at the same time as in Doom or Doom 2? Other than Serious Sam or Painkiller you will face at most 5, maybe 10 enemies at the same time. I find Painkiller and Serious Sam to be much inferior games to Doom or Doom 2 because of two things. First the level design of both Doom games is phenomenal, particularly in the second game. The level design in the two pretenders is atrocious. Secondly the 'emergent' (I hate that word) gameplay of Doom is absent, it was always great fun getting enemies to fight each other.

Other FPS games have you tackling only a few enemies at a time. The doom games have you tackling 50, maybe more enemies at the same time, all lobbing bullets and fireballs at you or each other. Doom is all about the dodging and it's super fast, faster than any other FPS out there. If FPS games were like shmups then Cave would be making the Doom games.

For over the top fast paced visceral FPS action Doom can't be topped. There is one game that does come close and it might surprise you when I say it's Halo. The combat in Halo is the closest any FPS has gotten to doom. However I fails in the level design department to Doom which I think hasn't been matched to this day. It might just be a key hunt in a maze but it does it better than any game out there. Id have described the process behind making Doom as trying to make Gauntlet in 3D and I think that describes the game brilliantly and no other FPS game can fit that description.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

What?! 1. Demons are better than generic low poly aliens, demons are scary, demons are badass, aliens are just like yeah whatever, generic alien is trying to attack me, blah. Don't tell me you didn't jump out of your seat and go wtf!? when you were playing the Phobos Anomaly and 2 Barons of Hell just suddenly appear. A David vs Goliath battle, the whole level is eerie, you know its building up to something and then bam! not 1 but 2 Barons of Hell! 2. I didn't mean gay as in homosexual 3. Heavy metal is best form of music apart from classical music known to man or woman. Anyone who disagree with me is wrong.

The awesomeness of Doom is that you don't need a plot, its co-authorial, thats like ten times more intelligent than the plot to Half Life, the player gets to fill in the missing parts of the plot based on ques like level designs, enemies and so on. Its got to be the most bad ass game of all time, not like Half Life or Goldeneye, the only games that are in the same league are Heretic, Descent, Hexen and Quake. FYI, yes the first 8 levels are on Phobos but the Shores of Hell episode are on Deimos, except the demons have tranported the moon to hell! Incidentally has anyone read the excellent Doom books? I've read all four, they're really good. Doom was made by people like me for people like me, I don't want long expositions with bad voice acting about plots I don't care for, I just metal, beer and demons to shoot at.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,963 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I bought the two Descent games at launch and, well, they emptied themselves all over Doom, a proper 3D fps, endlessly interesting, the rush as you hunt for the exit after the reactor goes critical is brilliant.
    I still have them for my PS1, great stuff.

Descent was fantastic, not sure how anyone played it on the PS1 though. Even with a mouse it was damn confusing. However it gets repetitive very quickly and I could only play a few levels at a time while Doom I could play for ages.

Advertisement