Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-09-2011, 17:34   #1
curiousb

Vitamix

Does anyone have one of these machines?

I have been checking them out and while they are outrageously expensive, they seem to be fantastic machines, capable of making ice-cream, soup and doing all sorts of blending....

Don't know if I can justify the cost but would love to get some first hand comments on them?
Advertisement
22-09-2011, 17:21   #2
oldrnwisr
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousb View Post
Does anyone have one of these machines?

I have been checking them out and while they are outrageously expensive, they seem to be fantastic machines, capable of making ice-cream, soup and doing all sorts of blending....

Don't know if I can justify the cost but would love to get some first hand comments on them?
Don't have any experience with the Vitamix, but the Thermomix seems to be a better choice.

I've only seen the Vitamix on the web and in some pretty cheesy TV infomercials but I know plenty of professional kitchens using the Thermomix, especially people at Michelin level like Alan Murchison, Bryn Williams, Carlo Cracco etc.

It's probably just as expensive as the Vitamix but I've used mine for everything from making ice-cream to crushing ice, making breadcrumbs, making flour and sauces. It works as a great bain-marie especially when using melted chocolate in a recipe. It also comes with a steaming basket which works brilliantly.
22-09-2011, 17:57   #3
curiousb

that's a new one on me, I'll check it out. Thanks!
02-10-2011, 01:50   #4
Semele

I saw a Vitamix being demonstrated at the Ideal Homes Show in London a couple of years ago and have been obsessed with the idea of getting one ever since! I literally stood there with my flatmate for an hour watching the same demonstration over and over and sampling all the resulting soup/smoothies/ice cream until I fully expected to be asked to buy something or get lost!

I've never been able to bring myself to pay that much for a kitchen appliance but one day... My flatmate and I have since used a Vitamix as a sort of unit of currency, ie "You paid £200 for that??? Jesus, that's half a Vitamix!"
Thanks from:
02-10-2011, 17:48   #5
mrsfive
Closed Account

It is a really nice blender. I received one as a gift, but the top broke and the replacement top was very expensive! I just bought a nice Cuisinart one as a replacement and it was just as good for my purposes, I only used it for pancake batter and smoothies.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion