Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jingle Bells 5K 03/12/2011

• 30-09-2011 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

Registration now open

http://www.donoreharriers.com/home_nav_9.html

The normal route (it was different in 2010)
    Last year's thread

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 21 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    80%
    Krusty_ClownBambaatacaptain PWoddlehf4z6sqo7vjngiTimmaaymenoscemoray oSWLEl DirectorsaraocallaghanD Chiefalec eiffelCleanmandub8meijinYounganne 17 votes
    3 stars (average)
    14%
    rainbow kirbymacinallitopday 3 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    4%
    louieder 1 vote
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Myself and my 13 year old daughter entered this evening. She's so excited :D First 5k for both of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

any other way of paying besides a Credit Card. they dont accept laser which is odd

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

mrmorgan wrote: »
    any other way of paying besides a Credit Card. they dont accept laser which is odd

You could print off an entry form http://www.donoreharriers.com/images/_client_specific/JingleBells2011Entry.pdf and send in a cheque/bank draft/postal order

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Sprocket77

Anyone any idea which course they'll be using this year with the roadworks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

You could print off an entry form http://www.donoreharriers.com/images/_client_specific/JingleBells2011Entry.pdf and send in a cheque/bank draft/postal order

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Sprocket77 wrote: »
    Anyone any idea which course they'll be using this year with the roadworks?
    The Aware 5 mile will use the path on Chesterfield Ave between Furze Road and the finish line close to Acres Road.

With that in mind, maybe the Jingle Bells 5k could use the footpath between Furze Road and Ordnance Road and keep the rest of the route unchanged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

4 stars (good)
    just entered so as to keep the training going and keep the focus/interest after DCM2011....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

I'm in too. My young ywan is signed up too, so don't know if I'll get the chance to race it or not, but at least it gives me a goal to get out running for.
    <the motivation is starting to slip since the marathon and the 1000 miles goals are done :rolleyes:>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

4 stars (good)
    Just went and booked it now. I havn't raced since the race series 10 miler, so looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Woddle wrote: »
    Just went and booked it now. I havn't raced since the race series 10 miler, so looking forward to it.

Sub 20?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,533 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

4 stars (good)
    Anyone know if everyone starts together (i.e. the under 16s and seniors)?

Anyone know if everyone starts together (i.e. the under 16s and seniors)?

Yeah everyone starts together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

4 stars (good)
    Yeah everyone starts together.

What's the inside info on the route?

menoscemo wrote: »
    What's the inside info on the route?

I have none. I've asked them a couple of times for route/map. Hopefully they'll have a map up on the site sometime tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

Just wondering did active.com always charge a 10% processing fee,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

4 stars (good)
    JosDel wrote: »

I think I remember paying that before alright.

Course Map is here if anyone hasn't seen it: http://www.donoreharriers.com/images/_client_specific/JingleBellsMap2011(1).jpg

captain P wrote: »
    I think I remember paying that before alright.

Course Map is here if anyone hasn't seen it: http://www.donoreharriers.com/images/_client_specific/JingleBellsMap2011(1).jpg

It doesn't get much faster than that in the park, happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Sprocket77

That looks like a pretty nice route, hopefully the wind will hold off for the Chesterfield Avenue section of it, then it'll really be a fast course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Oooh that looks like nice course.

Hopefully set a new PB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

I can't remember if they did. However it would have been a bit more transparent if Donore said that the online entry fee was €22 not €20.

It's also not clear how much or if any of the entry fee goes to Debra.

• Advertisement

geld wrote: »
    I can't remember if they did. However it would have been a bit more transparent if Donore said that the online entry fee was €22 not €20.

It's also not clear how much or if any of the entry fee goes to Debra.

None of the entry fee goes to Debra. It doesn't say anywhere that any of it goes to Debra. It says that all sponsorship money goes to Debra and there is a sponsorship card on the downloadable entry form.

It does say that the €20 excludes the administration fee. Postal entries don't have an administration fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

4 stars (good)
    I'll be cycling down, does anyone know the story with a bag drop? Will it be at the Donore clubhouse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I'll be cycling down, does anyone know the story with a bag drop? Will it be at the Donore clubhouse?
    I've cycled to the race series for the last few years and the JB 5K in 2009 (didn't do 2010 because of weather) and simply left my pannier bag on my bike, locked close to the start/finish. Never anything taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

4 stars (good)
    Going to do this one myself, never done a race before with a net decline before!

Course map now up on website

http://www.donoreharriers.com/images/_client_specific/JingleBellsMap2011(1).jpg

Changing rooms in the clubhouse, think someone usually hangs round upstairs specifically to mind amy bags left there and there's usually a van at the start line that people can leave bags in and pick up again at the finish line. Left mine in the van the two times I've done this race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

None of the entry fee goes to Debra. It doesn't say anywhere that any of it goes to Debra. It says that all sponsorship money goes to Debra and there is a sponsorship card on the downloadable entry form.

It does say that the €20 excludes the administration fee. Postal entries don't have an administration fee.

Thanks RacoonQueen.

I had seen the "administration fee" mentioned on Donore's web page. My issue is that I didn't get to see how much it was until I went to pay! I still re-iterate my original point that Donore should have made it clear that the online entry costs €22 not €20 + "an administration Fee"

My new "gripe" is your confirmation that "None of the entry fee goes to Debra". I entered this race on the assumption that some of the entry fee would go to Debra. It does say on their website that it is run "in association" with them. I had assumed that as the entry fee is a bit on the expensive side some contribution would be made. Looks like I have made the wrong assumption and TBH if I knew then what I know now I don't think I would have entered this race.

Sorry, but I feel that I have been taken for a bit of a ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

Far too expensive for a 5k. But anyone doing it, enjoy it, looks like a great course. I'll stick to running the Waterford half the following week for 22 euro!!;)

AFAIK that's the case re: sponsorship anyway. Debra would just be the charity that get to benefit from anyone who decides to raise sponsorship. Paper entry is €20, I'd imagine they avoid quoting it as €22 so people know they're only actually getting €20. I can't think of any race that uses active europe that tells you how much the administration fee is on the race information page.

The two Donore races are massive fundraisers for the club, the same as any club race really. Given the sort of coaching the youngsters are getting at Donore at the moment and the sort of progress a lot of them are making the money from these races is being well spent in athlete development. If thats any consolation. :)

I'm not involved in any way in the organisation of the race, just want to clarify what I do know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

I received a sponsorship card in the post this morning, no race number in the envelope,

A bit of a waste of postage if there going to send a furthur mail with the number ?

• Advertisement

I received a sponsorship card in the post this morning, no race number in the envelope,

A bit of a waste of postage if there going to send a furthur mail with the number ?

I'm a bit pissed off to receive a sponsorship card and a begging letter from the charity, while it's a worthy cause I am not happy that my details were passed onto Debra Ireland without my permission and will be taking it up with the club directly.

Advertisement