Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agricultural Economics

Options
  • 27-09-2011 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

Doing Economics at the moment and was thinking of teaching myself Ag Economics, is there much of an overlap and is it worth doing? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Afaik most colleges/universities will only accept Ag. Economics OR Economics for points so it wouldn't be worth your time. Do however check this out as I could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

And barely anyone does it so you'll have a job finding out much info about it here! Only a couple of hundred do it each year afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Doing Economics at the moment and was thinking of teaching myself Ag Economics, is there much of an overlap and is it worth doing? :)

Not possible on a lot of levels.

You can't count Ag Economics and Economics as two separate subjects for points. So it's waste of time from that point of view.

Like Ag Science, there's a project in it which is graded by your teacher and then an external examiner comes to check them. So you can't teach yourself. You need a teacher for the project element and they are pretty much non existant.

There are to the best of my knowledge only two schools in the country currently offering it for LC. One of them is the Institute of Education, Leeson St and the other I don't know the other (it's a regular school).

Only 32 students sat it in the whole country last year, so good luck to finding any resources for it.

There are *no books* for the subject. The syllabus is 2 pages long. I think you'd just be giving yourself a serious amount of hassle.

http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/lc_agri_economic_sy.pdf?language=EN

And like the Ag Science syllabus (which comes in at a mighty 6 pages in comparison) it's over 40 years old. So you'd have to be well up on modern ag economics and be well versed in past papers as I would imagine agri economics has changed a bit in this country since 1970. With no one to guide you this could be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭shefellover93

You can't count Ag Economics and Economics as two separate subjects for points. So it's waste of time from that point of view.

Like Ag Science, there's a project in it which is graded by your teacher and then an external examiner comes to check them. So you can't teach yourself. You need a teacher for the project element and they are pretty much non existant.

There are to the best of my knowledge only two schools in the country currently offering it for LC. One of them is the Institute of Education, Leeson St and the other I don't know the other (it's a regular school).

Only 32 students sat it in the whole country last year, so good luck to finding any resources for it.

There are *no books* for the subject. The syllabus is 2 pages long. I think you'd just be giving yourself a serious amount of hassle.

http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/lc_agri_economic_sy.pdf?language=EN

And like the Ag Science syllabus (which comes in at a mighty 6 pages in comparison) it's over 40 years old. So you'd have to be well up on modern ag economics and be well versed in past papers as I would imagine agri economics has changed a bit in this country since 1970. With no one to guide you this could be difficult.

Awh poo :o Thanks a lot though, that's the end of that:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 donnabrenton

I don't think it possible. Agricultural economics is more microeconomic oriented. US land-grant universities are providing many undergraduate Agricultural Economics degrees. And these agricultural economics degrees tend to be more like a traditional business degree rather than a traditional economics degree. Their demand is obsessed by their optimization, pragmatism and decision making skills, and their skills in statistical modeling.

• Advertisement

I don't think it possible. Agricultural economics is more microeconomic oriented. US land-grant universities are providing many undergraduate Agricultural Economics degrees. And these agricultural economics degrees tend to be more like a traditional business degree rather than a traditional economics degree. Their demand is obsessed by their optimization, pragmatism and decision making skills, and their skills in statistical modeling.

This has nothing to do with Leaving Cert Agricultural Economics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭John Sugrue

In fact, the LC exams in both subjects take place on the same day and at the same time so it's impossible.

In fact, the LC exams in both subjects take place on the same day and at the same time so it's impossible.

No, you can do two exams that are scheduled at the same time. The SEC will accommodate you. It just means you take one exam at the correct time and then have a break where you are supervised at all times and then you sit the next one from say 6-9pm.
    But it's pointless for Economics/Ag Economics as they can't be counted for points together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭John Sugrue

No, you can do two exams that are scheduled at the same time. The SEC will accommodate you. It just means you take one exam at the correct time and then have a break where you are supervised at all times and then you sit the next one from say 6-9pm.
    But it's pointless for Economics/Ag Economics as they can't be counted for points together.

Really? I didnt know that. I have my doubts. There are a lot of crossover topics in these two particularly regarding micro so I would be very surprised if this were true.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Lamph

No, you can do two exams that are scheduled at the same time. The SEC will accommodate you.

This is incorrect information regarding the combo Economics / Ag. Economics.
    Yes, if you wanted to sit (for example) Applied Maths and Japanese, and if those exams were scheduled simultaneously on the exam timetable, SEC would put an arrangement in place that would accommodate you to sit both...

...but Economics and Ag. Economics are a forbidden subject combination. No-one is allowed choose both (because they are too similar to one another). Same story with Classical Studies... If you sit CS, you are not allowed sit either Latin or Ancient Greek. Forbidden combination.

PhyChem is another one. If you sit the combined PhysChem subject you cannot sit either of the separate subjects Physics or Chemistry in conjunction with it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement