Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor home Statics Required for Promoting Aire de Services

Options
  • 21-09-2011 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi, a group of motor home owners are looking to promote Aire de Services in Ireland, we have met tourist officials in Northern Ireland and have submitted a document to Bord Failte for its review on motor home tourism. We badly need official statistics on the number of motor homes in Ireland, revenue spent by motor home users, numbers of motor home tourists to Ireland and any endorsement by business, local communities and councils. Please can you forward any information that can help us compile a study on the motor home sector that can help owners get safe secure overnight parking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

artisan wrote: »
    Hi, a group of motor home owners are looking to promote Aire de Services in Ireland, we have met tourist officials in Northern Ireland and have submitted a document to Bord Failte for its review on motor home tourism. We badly need official statics on the number of motor homes in Ireland, revenue spent by motor home users, numbers of motor home tourists to Ireland and any endorsement by business, local communities and councils. Please can you forward any information that can help us compile a study on the motor home sector that can help owners get safe secure overnight parking.

Hi artisan,
    Just a couple of points on this.
    Would you not be able to get the number of MotorHomes/Campervans registered in Ireland through the government Freedom of Information Act?.
    Second point is on revenue spent. This, to me, is like asking "how long is a piece of string". I mostly visit coastal towns, if the weather is good (don't laugh please) I could spend half the day idly watching the harbour, boats, sea etc. If the weather is bad I could spend most of the time in a bar or cafe/restaurant. I would have thought that Bord Failte have estimated figures on tourist spending.

Hope this doesn't sound negative. It's not supposed to. I hope your work pays off. Good luck.

Irishgoatman.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 blokarter

This is very interesting as we mentioned to a campsite owner recently that he should hand out a short questionnaire asnking thinks like.

How much did you spend locally during this trip?
    What improvements could be made to make you return ?

To be honest I feel that asking "can you forward any information that can help us " is probably the wrong way to go about this.

It would be much better to have a document for asking all the questions you need answered in an order which will be familiar to those compiling the data. Otherwise you will receive either the correct information in different orders or the incorrect information.

I have experienced similar problems in the past with data capture and can assure you it will be a massive task to disseminate the information.

An online form with comments box for additional information works well as the data is received instantly and and a logical order.
    All you then need it for websites, clubs, associations etc to promote the link to your form.

If I can be of any assistance in the matter or if this unclear please feel free to P.M. me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

blokarter wrote: »
    This is very interesting as we mentioned to a campsite owner recently that he should hand out a short questionnaire asnking thinks like.

How much did you spend locally during this trip?
    What improvements could be made to make you return ?

To be honest I feel that asking "can you forward any information that can help us " is probably the wrong way to go about this.

It would be much better to have a document for asking all the questions you need answered in an order which will be familiar to those compiling the data. Otherwise you will receive either the correct information in different orders or the incorrect information.

I have experienced similar problems in the past with data capture and can assure you it will be a massive task to disseminate the information.

An online form with comments box for additional information works well as the data is received instantly and and a logical order.
    All you then need it for websites, clubs, associations etc to promote the link to your form.

If I can be of any assistance in the matter or if this unclear please feel free to P.M. me.

This sounds like the way to go.
    Well done blokarter.

:D at last, i get someting right !

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭HereAndThere

Sounds promissing lads - If I can help with the online form stuff let me know (Software Developer/Stay at Home Dad/Motorhomer).

Just back from France and am amazed at how far behind we are (Well not that amazed) ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭HereAndThere

The CSO have some online database queying form.

At first glance it doesn't seem to have search params specific for Motorhomes.

But you may be able to play around with it and retrieve the number of motorhomes registered.

http://www.cso.ie/px/pxeirestat/database/eirestat/Vehicle%20Registrations%20Statistics%20Monthly%20Series/Vehicle%20Registrations%20Statistics%20Monthly%20Series_statbank.asp?SP=Vehicle%20Registrations%20Statistics%20Monthly%20Series&Planguage=0

Sounds promissing lads - If I can help with the online form stuff let me know (Software Developer/Stay at Home Dad/Motorhomer) ;)

Briliiant, I would say you are exactly what is needed to assist.
    I hope artisan replies.

If you need any graphic content I can assist too.

Might be as well for artisan to post this info on motorhomecraic.com as it is growing

Advertisement