Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever been mugged, robbed or burgled?

• 20-09-2011 11:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭MLH1

Thankfully none of the above, pays living in the country at least for the first two. Would definitely find the experience a 1000 times more traumatic than the financial loss.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

Im not jinxing that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Whats the difference between the three ? :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Mugged twice. Both identified themselves as Boards.ie mods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Yes, why? Did you catch the guys who did it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Almost got mugged in Paris :mad:

Three guys came up to me (was like 8am) and asked me for the time or something....Then noticed my accent, started trying to strike up a conversation. Were all like "oh we know someone from ireland" or some crap like that, one of them went to shake my hand, i instinctively put it firm in my pocket and then noticed one of the others had gone to put his in mine. And would have done if i had shook that guys hand.

Then they just kinda laughed and left.....Nice guys really, they could have easily mugged me. (three of them against me = not looking too good for my side!) :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Mugged = Physical confrontation on the street (or wherever) where they take stuff.
    Robbed = Something taken without your knowledge.
    Burgled = Someone breaking into your house and taking stuff.

I'm guessing anyway.

And no to all 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Yeah I've been mugged before, some junkie stole my handbag.
    Stuff has been stolen on me but its never been a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

On holidays years ago and came back from a night out to find the hotel room was robbed. The door was burst off the safe and everything was gone. It was our last night though so it wasnt too bad but there was 7 or 8 other rooms done on the same night and some of those families were on their 1st night so lost everything. It was sickening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

Certain members of an 'ethnic' community are continuously attempting to steal our heating oil, have had many late nights running around my yard frantically waving a hurley yet they still keep coming back. we only ever fill it less than half way because of them :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

Yup, in Waterford in 99. Me and one of the housemates walked back from Club La to Woodlawn Grove and we got mugged by 3 cnuts with steak knifes across from the IT. It was a thursday night so our wallets were empty. They told us to look at the ground but the chap i was with kept staring at them. Headbutt and a kick in the bollix later and he was on the ground. Then they legged it.

Filth. One of them was arrested a few years later in Tramore and the guards found a bloke tied up in the booth of the stolen car they were driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

kkdela6 wrote: »
    Certain members of an 'ethnic' community are continuously attempting to steal our heating oil, have had many late nights running around my yard frantically waving a hurley yet they still keep coming back. we only ever fill it less than half way because of them :mad:

But its their culture.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Pighead's too streetwise to have been mugged, robbed or burgled.

Have been ransacked, pillaged and swindled alright but definitely never mugged, robbed or burgled.

yeah Im not fallin for that one, while Im on here answering you knick my....

stop!...... thief! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Yeah. In May of last year.

I was parking in Dublin, near the Grand Canal docks and outside a Eurospar. I was at the parking machine fishing my pockets for change when I was confronted by a strung out rattling junkie and his dog ugly toothless girlfriend. He pulled a knife on me and demanded my wallet. I had a few quid on me that day and he looked pretty out of it (otherwise I'd have probably saved the hassle and just gave him the wallet). But I thought F*ck that and I grabbed his wrist with the knife in it and with my other hand grabbed his throat and ran him backwards into the wall. His head smacked the wall and he was out like a light and then as he was slumping down the wall I drove my knee into his nose. There was blood everywhere from his nose...all over my jeans and boots.
    His GF tried to run off but a few people from the Eurospar had witnessed the whole thing and stopped her.
    The Guards were there fairly rapid and arrested them both and I had to go make a statement. Nothing ever came of it on my end, but the Guard did warn me there was a chance the scumbag would try an do me for assault.

Shaggin' Cherokees keep calling around here too!

Shifty bunch the lot of 'em.

the stealers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

in the UK, I have been mugged, robbed and burgled.. terrible place to live..

now.. Ireland, a decade living here and not a bother..

Nothing ever came of it on my end, but the Guard did warn me there was a chance the scumbag would try an do me for assault.

so why did he assualt you then?

I was trying to mug him!

hmmmmm, dismissed *bangs hammer*, take him down and throw away the key feed him to the homeless..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

I think most ppl with laneway access to the rear know the drill by now.. constant vigil. only purpose I serve at home is effectively a guard dog

Saila wrote: »
    the stealers?

you could say that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

CamperMan wrote: »
    in the UK, I have been mugged, robbed and burgled.. terrible place to live..

now.. Ireland, a decade living here and not a bother..
    Ah c'mon CamperMan, the UK isn't that bad. Are you sure you're comparing like with like? Please tell Pighead you're not comparing big old nasty London to lovely Leitrim?

muggings only happened by local older bullies known to me, who were addled by drug habit n ended up dead or banged up. Pity because now I'm their size I'd turn the act on them - storm of questions about why they even are, softening em up for the big fleece. relentless ridicule and fury having been dishonoured - never allow yourself to be dishonoured. a way of life for most that one should never tolerate, that's when the Devil is awakened like in the Frenchman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

errr, no. Some poor saps broke down our front door with a sledge when I was young and living in a rough part of London. Daddy dearest chased them for at least 2 miles before they tired enough that he could re-arrange their features sufficently, and I have inherited his endearing personality. Bless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Car broken into last year, ipod and stereo taken which pissed me off. But here's the nice bit - got a letter in the post a few days later from a stranger, with my drivers licence inside and a note saying that he had found it on the street. I hadnt even noticed it was missing, obviously the knackers had thrown it out of the car when they ransacked it. See, there are some nice folks left :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

But its their culture.....

Ya, exactly. You can't put down their tradition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

A Sky News producer at Dale Farm was all confused on Twitter because someone had stolen the fuel for their generators.

Bless the innocence.

"Just discovered someone stolen the jerrycan of petrol for our generator overnight. Luckily we have a spare. Travellers or activists?
    by skynewsdalefarm via twitter 9:35 AM yesterday"

hmmm wrote: »
    A Sky News producer at Dale Farm was all confused on Twitter because someone had stolen the fuel for their generators.

Bless the innocence.

"Just discovered someone stolen the jerrycan of petrol for our generator overnight. Luckily we have a spare. Travellers or activists?
    by skynewsdalefarm via twitter 9:35 AM yesterday"

i thought you were only joking, but i checked it out, thats actually hilarious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

just got burgled yesterday, scummers got a laptop a tv and 400 euro.

fúcking scum :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Its not a hurley you should be waving. Do a Padraig Nally on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

I was 15 the only time I got mugged. I was walking back to school after lunch break and I was running a little late. A junkie mugged me. He punched me in the face and chipped my tooth because I only had £2 on me. My school called the Garda but they didn't catch him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

been mugged more times than i care to recall when i was in my teens around the estate i live and and was held up in an armed robbery never been broken into tho phew thank **** for that aye :rolleyes:

those basildon Irish travellers are hiding behind a uk new age hippy traveller facade. only ones we produce are new age skangers, n they're a million miles from that in their gaa shorts n sockless brogues- long haired eccentric types with hands cemented in barrels are most certainly not representative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Yup, been mugged before. :( Wallet, phone, keys and watch all gone. Didn't have much in wallet, thankfully, but it was still a shítty experience. Got beaten up pretty bad too.

Fúcker that did it was caught but I'm not sure what sentence (if any) he got. I hope he has a slow and painful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I was assaulted during a burglary does that count as a mugging?
    All in 6 months he got for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Get a small tank. Fill it with diesel, heating oil, cooking oil, and water for good measure. Stir it every so often. See if they take anything from it, and laugh when they do. Imagine how many of their machines that will stop working :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Alwayson

In London a few years ago on my way to my hotel about 1am two guys came towards me, one jumped on me and tried to get me on the ground but I shook him off and they both disappeared. Then I realised the second guy had pickpocketed me and taken my money. Only about £30 but its not the principle its the money (as Tommy Cooper once said). So I went looking for them and I found them. When they saw me approaching one went off and got a third guy. Two can play at that game so off I went and came back with two cops in a squad car. They chased them around the back streets for a while but couldn't catch them because the streets were too narrow for the car and they got away.

confronting a burglar can be quite revealing. should be locked up for being not just criminal, but criminally insane. funny how out front they pass emselves off as salt of the earth, the contrast is so different when out of sight - two-faced or split personality is being kind. prying snooping loner weirdo mofo's, if ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭CoolHat

This thread reminds me of what my dad once said..

He was in work about 3-4 years ago and driving through ballyfermot. He came to juction and stopped. Theres a car in front of him with some woman behind the wheel. He notices some scumbag junkie standing at the lights looking dodgy.

Before you know whats going on the scumbag ran over to the car, smashed the car window in and was trying to steal the girls handbag. My Dad jumps out of his truck and and runs over. Confronts the pr*ck and he drops the bag and runs off. My dad just gave the woman back her hangbag and she speeded off. (not even a thank you :pac: but the woman was in shock. So fair enough)

Gotta give my dad credit. not saying that cause im his son. But he would of been 58/59 then. Guys half his age wouldnt of jumped out to help. Very decent of him. He later said it might of been a mistake too. Scumbag easily could of been carrying. But its a show of character by jumping out immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

was in barcelona during the festival. Woke up in my hostel after a hard night on the beer and went to empty my fluids. I left the door to the room open behind me. On the way back I saw a guy I didnt recognise coming out of the room. We were sharing with some italian lads. I saw my clothes were moved. Checked pockets. Money gone. About €15. I spent the next ten minutes running around like a lunatic. Then found him on the stair well. Got about 30 back off him and absolutely kicked the living poo out of him, I thought he was knocked ot. Then went to get friends to help me carry him down to reception to get him arrested. But when I came back he was gone. Piece of crap. If I ever see him again, Ill do the job properly

Yep. Syringe put up to my neck
    That would scare me far worse than a knife or gun ever could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Syringe put up to my neck

Jesus, I shuddered.

I've two pretty good stories :)

When I was around 11 years old I was with my mum in Phoenix Park and was kicking a football around. Suddenly, these two scumbags, both about 18/19, walked up to me and kept asking me to pass the ball. I didn't do it at first, but they kept asking and asking, so I passed it to one of them. He did a few kick-ups, and before I knew it, he put my brand-new football under his arm and the two of them legged it. I didn't know what to do, it was just me and my mom, so I ran after them, close to tears, 'cause I knew I'd never catch them. A few people were chilling on the green near-by and they watched me chase the scumbags, but they were fast and left me behind a few meters with every second.
    I was about to give up, when I heard footsteps behind me and saw the figure of a man in his early 20s sprinting past me. He must have been a runner, 'cause he was gaining on them fast and they panicked as they turned around and saw him (he was much bigger than them). They kept running for about another minute, I already stopped at that stage, but soon enough the guy was back, carrying my football, gave it to me, smiled and went back to lie down on the grass beside his girlfriend. What a show of class.

tl;dr - Scumbags robbed my brand-new football in Phoenix Park when I was a kid. A random Superman guy chased after them and eventually got the ball back for me.

Another one happened to my parents. They are avid hikers and went to the Wicklow Mountains one weekend to walk around and take some pictures. They usually drive in, leave the car somewhere locked after taking all valuables and go hiking, come back in a few hours and drive home. They stopped to take a picture of something, I don't know what. They were on some hilly road and left the car unlocked, and walked literally about 10 meters away from it to take pictures of the landscape. It was foggy and out of the blue a cyclist bombed down the hill, swerved to a stop beside my parents' car and managed to snatch my mom's purse with her phone, wallet, credit cards and house keys, before my dad was able to get to the car. The man had full cycling gear and all! It was a very ****ty way to spoil their weekend and my dad felt really helpless, because if he had locked the door nothing would have happened, even though he was only a few meters away from the car.

tl;dr - Parents went for a hike in Wicklow. They stepped a few meters away from the car to take pictures when a fully uniformed cyclist appeared out of nowhere, took my mum's purse out of the car and rode off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

..... soon enough the guy was back, carrying my football, gave it to me, smiled and went back to lie down on the grass beside his girlfriend. What a show of class.

That's nice. You've encountered an real, live Hero :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Tiny Explosions

You'd wanna be careful!.......... It might be vampires!! ;)

Get another hurley and make a crucifix......and get some holy water, liters of holy water.:)

LH Pathe wrote: »
    I think most ppl with laneway access to the rear know the drill by now.. constant vigil. only purpose I serve at home is effectively a guard dog

That sounds dead gay! ;):D

LH Pathe wrote: »
    I think [SIZE="3"]most ppl with laneway access to the rear[/SIZE] know the drill by now.. constant vigil. only purpose I serve at home is effectively a guard dog

That sounds dead gay! ;):D

I know! Next time capitalize on me leaving the back door open?!

but honest Its just weariness by now. Too many thwarted.. shït they even robbed bernie's gaf n its fairly obvious from the exterior she has nothing

Poor Bernie, bastards! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

" Mugged, Robbed or Burgled. "

In lay mans terms?

" Mugged " isn't a legal term. It's a street / media adopted term relating to Robbery. See below:

" Robbery " refers to the taking of property, from the person, whilst that person is aware of what's going on.

A person may steal ye wallet from ye empty motor. That's Theft. See?

Confronts ye and 'steals' it from ye person? " Gimmy ye wallet, man! " There's Robbery.

Burglary? Ye know; I've never been sure on this one either! Yet, I knew a life style Burglar. It either relates to 'Breaking and Entering' A/ After dark or B/ When one 'knows' / expects there to be someone in.

I'd be glad to read a definitive word on that too :confused:

Failing that? I'm sure I'll Google it. one of these days :D

Poor Bernie, bastards! :mad:

you said it. but its my main issue with wideboys n overly localized muppets alike. only looking to pull one over on their own. in fact they'd easily have had more in their own, more modern dwelling if it's in the cul de sac rumoured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

14 attempted muggings.

One of these days I'll be successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Mugged, posted it here before.

• Advertisement
Advertisement