A-TEC Moderators, any good ? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
05-09-2011, 22:40   #1
arrowloopboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 831
A-TEC Moderators, any good ?

Tinkering with the idea of sticking one of these on my .270,its the only mod i'd consider because its only around 280 grams,plus i'd cut 2 " off the barrel which should save me another 50 grams or so.
I've read about some aluminium moderators suffering badly from muzzel flash,and at 320 odd euro ,just wondering how long i'd get out of an a-tec before it would be ruined.
arrowloopboy is offline  
Advertisement
06-09-2011, 08:15   #2
Glensman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Co. Aontroim
Posts: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowloopboy View Post
Tinkering with the idea of sticking one of these on my .270,its the only mod i'd consider because its only around 280 grams,plus i'd cut 2 " off the barrel which should save me another 50 grams or so.
I've read about some aluminium moderators suffering badly from muzzel flash,and at 320 odd euro ,just wondering how long i'd get out of an a-tec before it would be ruined.

No personal experience but from what I've heard they're pretty good.
What weight does the ASE Northstar come in at? I have one on my .223 and it seems the business, I haven't had it long...
Glensman is offline  
06-09-2011, 18:16   #3
BELOWaverageIQ
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 667
If it's a lightweight mod you want go for a Roedale aluminium.
Ultra light and compact. Edi Graffe imports them, I have one on my 30-06 and find it very good.
BELOWaverageIQ is offline  
06-09-2011, 18:17   #4
Tackleberrywho
Banned
 
Tackleberrywho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ireland
Posts: 8,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELOWaverageIQ View Post
If it's a lightweight mod you want go for a Roedale aluminium.
Ultra light and compact. Edi Graffe imports them, I have one on my 30-06 and find it very good.
I'd prefer the Ti Model,as it's slightly less impervious to dings.

They are top Quality though.
Tackleberrywho is offline  
07-09-2011, 19:26   #5
GixxerThou
Closed Account
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowloopboy View Post
Tinkering with the idea of sticking one of these on my .270,its the only mod i'd consider because its only around 280 grams,plus i'd cut 2 " off the barrel which should save me another 50 grams or so.
I've read about some aluminium moderators suffering badly from muzzel flash,and at 320 odd euro ,just wondering how long i'd get out of an a-tec before it would be ruined.
Have one... love it! Stuck in an extra baffle, very quiet and is wearing well, Ive 600 odd rounds through mine and still going strong.
GixxerThou is offline  
Advertisement
07-09-2011, 19:36   #6
CJhaughey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 9,187
I am using an Aluminium Roedale with 2 stainless nitrided baffles in it to slow the flame cutting down.
They seem to be working well with no sign of any cutting yet and there has been at least 3 boxes through it so far.
Easy to clean, lightweight and customisable for whatever you want to do.
I really like mine.
CJhaughey is offline  
07-09-2011, 22:48   #7
arrowloopboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxerThou View Post
Have one... love it! Stuck in an extra baffle, very quiet and is wearing well, Ive 600 odd rounds through mine and still going strong.
What lenght barrel is that on Gixxer
arrowloopboy is offline  
08-09-2011, 14:43   #8
GixxerThou
Closed Account
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowloopboy View Post
What lenght barrel is that on Gixxer
Was 20inch, now 22inch..
GixxerThou is offline  
08-09-2011, 17:41   #9
arrowloopboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxerThou View Post
Was 20inch, now 22inch..
I ask because i believe that in a .270,the muzzle flash is over (all power is burnt) after 22" and on a 20" barrel ,you may be getting flash going into the can which is what causes the damage,i read this on another site and it was posted by a guy from A-Tec,was the A-tec on your 20".270 for many rounds ?
arrowloopboy is offline  
Advertisement
08-09-2011, 23:01   #10
GixxerThou
Closed Account
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowloopboy View Post
I ask because i believe that in a .270,the muzzle flash is over (all power is burnt) after 22" and on a 20" barrel ,you may be getting flash going into the can which is what causes the damage,i read this on another site and it was posted by a guy from A-Tec,was the A-tec on your 20".270 for many rounds ?
This is true, my blaser .270 had a 20inch barrel and i had a t8 on it which used to get savage hot from powder burning in the can.. I fired prob 150-200 rounds thru the atec before I changed the barrel.
GixxerThou is offline  
09-09-2011, 08:30   #11
thelurcher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELOWaverageIQ View Post
If it's a lightweight mod you want go for a Roedale aluminium.
Ultra light and compact. Edi Graffe imports them, I have one on my 30-06 and find it very good.
I'd have to agree - I got mine from Edi too. I use it on the 22lr and the 6.5 - just screw off a few baffles for use on the former as they're not needed.
thelurcher is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet