A-TEC Moderators, any good ? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-09-2011, 22:40   #1
arrowloopboy

A-TEC Moderators, any good ?

Tinkering with the idea of sticking one of these on my .270,its the only mod i'd consider because its only around 280 grams,plus i'd cut 2 " off the barrel which should save me another 50 grams or so.
I've read about some aluminium moderators suffering badly from muzzel flash,and at 320 odd euro ,just wondering how long i'd get out of an a-tec before it would be ruined.
Advertisement
06-09-2011, 08:15   #2
Glensman

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowloopboy View Post
Tinkering with the idea of sticking one of these on my .270,its the only mod i'd consider because its only around 280 grams,plus i'd cut 2 " off the barrel which should save me another 50 grams or so.
I've read about some aluminium moderators suffering badly from muzzel flash,and at 320 odd euro ,just wondering how long i'd get out of an a-tec before it would be ruined.

No personal experience but from what I've heard they're pretty good.
What weight does the ASE Northstar come in at? I have one on my .223 and it seems the business, I haven't had it long...
06-09-2011, 18:16   #3
BELOWaverageIQ
Closed Account

If it's a lightweight mod you want go for a Roedale aluminium.
Ultra light and compact. Edi Graffe imports them, I have one on my 30-06 and find it very good.
06-09-2011, 18:17   #4
Tackleberrywho
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELOWaverageIQ View Post
Ultra light and compact. Edi Graffe imports them, I have one on my 30-06 and find it very good.
I'd prefer the Ti Model,as it's slightly less impervious to dings.

They are top Quality though.
07-09-2011, 19:26   #5
GixxerThou
Closed Account

Quote:
Have one... love it! Stuck in an extra baffle, very quiet and is wearing well, Ive 600 odd rounds through mine and still going strong.
Advertisement
07-09-2011, 19:36   #6
CJhaughey

I am using an Aluminium Roedale with 2 stainless nitrided baffles in it to slow the flame cutting down.
They seem to be working well with no sign of any cutting yet and there has been at least 3 boxes through it so far.
Easy to clean, lightweight and customisable for whatever you want to do.
I really like mine.
07-09-2011, 22:48   #7
arrowloopboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxerThou View Post
Have one... love it! Stuck in an extra baffle, very quiet and is wearing well, Ive 600 odd rounds through mine and still going strong.
What lenght barrel is that on Gixxer
08-09-2011, 14:43   #8
GixxerThou
Closed Account

Quote:
What lenght barrel is that on Gixxer
Was 20inch, now 22inch..
08-09-2011, 17:41   #9
arrowloopboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxerThou View Post
Was 20inch, now 22inch..
I ask because i believe that in a .270,the muzzle flash is over (all power is burnt) after 22" and on a 20" barrel ,you may be getting flash going into the can which is what causes the damage,i read this on another site and it was posted by a guy from A-Tec,was the A-tec on your 20".270 for many rounds ?
Advertisement
08-09-2011, 23:01   #10
GixxerThou
Closed Account

Quote:
I ask because i believe that in a .270,the muzzle flash is over (all power is burnt) after 22" and on a 20" barrel ,you may be getting flash going into the can which is what causes the damage,i read this on another site and it was posted by a guy from A-Tec,was the A-tec on your 20".270 for many rounds ?
This is true, my blaser .270 had a 20inch barrel and i had a t8 on it which used to get savage hot from powder burning in the can.. I fired prob 150-200 rounds thru the atec before I changed the barrel.
09-09-2011, 08:30   #11
thelurcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELOWaverageIQ View Post
I'd have to agree - I got mine from Edi too. I use it on the 22lr and the 6.5 - just screw off a few baffles for use on the former as they're not needed.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion