Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surf spots near galway

Options
  • 09-09-2011 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I will be working up in Galway for a week or two, are there any decent surf spots?? Or will i have to travel down to lahinch in the evenings??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Nowhere within an easy drive of the city I'm afraid. Lahinch or Fanore might be your best bet.

(I'm told that Silverstrand beach produces a surfable wave once in a blue moon, and I've seen people try to surf in Spiddal, but I wouldn't waste my time waiting for waves at either spot)

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

Yea Doolin (if your good enough) Fanore and Lahinch are the best and nearest. But don't forget Carrownisky and a number of more sheltered breaks near Louisberg. It's a good 2hr+ stunning drive through some of Irelands best scenery. Nice beach breaks when it's on!

There is surf in Galway believe it or not! It is very inconsistent unfortunately. Spiddal beach on the left, there is a slab / reef. This works on a big south / sw swell (min3.5-4m) with a north offshore wind. Guy's have even been barrelled there. I came close to been barrelled there myself. Also straight out, about 150m or so? There is another slab that works on a low tide. This is a board breaker!! The little wave on the shore itself is **** to say the least, usually closes quite fast and it's rocky!

Renvyle peninsula also has three breaks. Two left-handers out in front of the castle and a fast right-hander on the beach. Big n/nw swell required this time (min 4.5m) with southern wind. You may be lucky! Get down to "Pura Vida" cafe at Spannish Arch. This is where a lot of the local crew meet and is indeed owned by Rob, a local surfer. He will let you know what is on and what is not! Enjoy! Go neirí na dtonnta leat ! :)

There not consistent enough for the masses to bother with!. Your getting hot headed for no reason! Even most of the Galway based surfers don't bother! The few inconsistent spots in Galway don't compete with the Clare / Sligo / Mayo breaks.

In fact the few inconsistent spots there are in Galway are usually surfed by the same 5 or 6 guys including me. It ain't pipeline! :) Were not particularly worried about crowded line-ups? The only way that will ever happen is if the Aran Islands Shift further west or rejoin the mainland!!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kevmc1180

The great thing about the internet is it was invented as an information sharing platform...
    Thats we go on websites like Boards.ie to find out and share information..
    I surfed Lahinch today. was great, but is a bit of a drive from Galway city mind, but much better surf than used to in west cork.

kevmc1180 wrote: »
    The great thing about the internet is it was invented as an information sharing platform...
    Thats we go on websites like Boards.ie to find out and share information..
    I surfed Lahinch today. was great, but is a bit of a drive from Galway city mind, but much better surf than used to in west cork.

Couldn't agree more! Re Lahinch, Which route did you take. There is a bout 4 different routes. I can get there in approx 1hr15mins through the Burren. Via corkscrew hill etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

:D:D:D

Good man Gingko!

I've been to all these spots and checked out more in Galway but to be honest it's more hassle than it's worth ......especially out to Renvyle, you would be quicker heading to Clare, Mayo or Sligo.

By all means check them out, doubt you'll ever return though ....

The long and short is that there is no quality surf in Galway.

Advertisement