Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant find a part time job ANYWHERE in Cork City. Please help!!

Options
  • 02-09-2011 6:36pm

Its sooooooo hard, especially when i have so little experience. I only want part time because im in college. Can anyone give me tips on how to get me hired. I've lost all faith in myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Fiyero

What have you done to try and get hired?

:)

Since monday i have been handing out Cv's all over cork city and douglas area. I had an interview today and 7 other people were going for it too. It was only a 8 hour job, and i obviously didnt get it as i would of heard from her at 5.30 today!

I seriously need a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Fiyero

Since monday i have been handing out Cv's all over cork city and douglas area. I had an interview today and 7 other people were going for it too. It was only a 8 hour job, and i obviously didnt get it as i would of heard from her at 5.30 today!

I seriously need a job.

That's only a week! :)

When shops etc need someone, they go through their collection of CVs.

Somewhere you left a CV in to this week might ring you in a few months because they mightn't need someone now but will then.

Unemployment is the highest it's being in a very long time.

Think outside Douglas and the city centre.
    Look at any part of Cork that you can get to.

Ask to talk to the Manager every time you leave in your CV.

Always dress the part when you're job searching.

Not having experience is difficult but everyone has to start somewhere :)

Look the part, act the part, be enthusiastic but not over enthusiastic!

You had an interview but didn't get it but you had an interview! :)

There's a LOT of people that won't have got that far, no matter what the job is for.

Take encouragement in that, learn from the interview and whatever questions you feel you didn't answer as well as you could have well prepare those answers better for the next interview!

It's not easy!

Remember, you've got to ask yourself when you're leaving in CVs and talking to a manager / supervisor,
    why would I hire me? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

There's a LOT of Dunnes in Cork, they would be your best bet if you've no experience. Lots of places won't take CV's anymore (Dunnes will though) so you need to rely on online applications- you can sign up to get companies to email you about jobs, Next, Boots and Debenhams will. Others will advertise on jobs.ie and some will just show them on the websites.

Bear in mind colleges aren't back yet and christmas retail season hasn't kicked in yet so there aren't a massive amount of job openings yet but there soon will be. You might only get a christmas contract though. It took me 6 weeks to get a retail job and I had 3 years retail experience- it's tough, don't let one week get you down.

Fiyero wrote: »
    That's only a week! :)

When shops etc need someone, they go through their collection of CVs.

Somewhere you left a CV in to this week might ring you in a few months because they mightn't need someone now but will then.

Unemployment is the highest it's being in a very long time.

Think outside Douglas and the city centre.
    Look at any part of Cork that you can get to.

Ask to talk to the Manager every time you leave in your CV.

Always dress the part when you're job searching.

Not having experience is difficult but everyone has to start somewhere :)

Look the part, act the part, be enthusiastic but not over enthusiastic!

You had an interview but didn't get it but you had an interview! :)

There's a LOT of people that won't have got that far, no matter what the job is for.

Take encouragement in that, learn from the interview and whatever questions you feel you didn't answer as well as you could have well prepare those answers better for the next interview!

It's not easy!

Remember, you've got to ask yourself when you're leaving in CVs and talking to a manager / supervisor,
    why would I hire me? :)

Thanks for all that!! So helpful:):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055976563

Check this thread :)

Argos are hiring for Christmas, TK Maxx too apparently.

There's a LOT of Dunnes in Cork, they would be your best bet if you've no experience. Lots of places won't take CV's anymore (Dunnes will though) so you need to rely on online applications- you can sign up to get companies to email you about jobs, Next, Boots and Debenhams will. Others will advertise on jobs.ie and some will just show them on the websites.

Bear in mind colleges aren't back yet and christmas retail season hasn't kicked in yet so there aren't a massive amount of job openings yet but there soon will be. You might only get a christmas contract though. It took me 6 weeks to get a retail job and I had 3 years retail experience- it's tough, don't let one week get you down.

Ive tried 3 different dunnes so far and they are either not hiring at the moment or might me in october. Its crazy though. Are you working full time or part time? are u a student??

Thanks so much for your advice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Ive tried 3 different dunnes so far and they are either not hiring at the moment or might me in october. Its crazy though. Are you working full time or part time? are u a student??

Thanks so much for your advice

I'm not a student anymore. I'm working full-time (flexi really..my hours CAN be cut). I think what swung it is that my retail experience is from a different branch. But anyway, Dunnes start hiring in September and then go mental hiring in October. September contracts are temp to be renewed, october ones will be Christmas only. They took 3-4 weeks getting back to me after I left my CV, the one I'm in now.

I'm not a student anymore. I'm working full-time (flexi really..my hours CAN be cut). I think what swung it is that my retail experience is from a different branch. But anyway, Dunnes start hiring in September and then go mental hiring in October. September contracts are temp to be renewed, october ones will be Christmas only. They took 3-4 weeks getting back to me after I left my CV, the one I'm in now.

KK cool thanks, ah well i hope your getting on great there, id love the money, im so poor at the moment its horrible.

I think i have 3 more dunnes to try! gonna do it monday!:)

I have been to 4 interviews in the last year and they have all mentioned my lack of experience even though i have some work experience. Its really disheartening.

Colibri wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055976563

Check this thread :)

Argos are hiring for Christmas, TK Maxx too apparently.

Thanks you are so so good:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

KK cool thanks, ah well i hope your getting on great there, id love the money, im so poor at the moment its horrible.

I think i have 3 more dunnes to try! gonna do it monday!:)

I have been to 4 interviews in the last year and they have all mentioned my lack of experience even though i have some work experience. Its really disheartening.

Well at least your gettin interviews which is huge, would you make up a little lie about working in a shop some summer somewhere. And give an aunt or somebody as a reference?

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Well at least your gettin interviews which is huge, would you make up a little lie about working in a shop some summer somewhere. And give an aunt or somebody as a reference?

Jesus can you do that?? Thats illegal it has to be? ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

If it's retail experience you need why not just put in a few hours in a charity shop and then get a reference off them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

here you go op. keep an eye here. and if you see something that suits you get in there asap with cv in hand. from the end of this month you'll see the xmas jobs coming up too.

Advertisement