Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nostalgia Trip - Metal Discussions from 1989 onwards.

Options
  • 04-09-2011 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure it's quite likely that many of you may not have heard of Usenet or its more recent incarnation Google Groups so here, for a bit of a nostalgia trip, is an archive of what metal-orientated discussions were happening online starting back in 1989.

Between people griping about the lack of bass in Metallica songs and complaining about Guns N' Roses it seems not a lot has changed :D.

There are also band-specific groups for Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Motley Crue and Guns N' Roses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I remember being 10 years old, 1994, I was living in a part of Cork called Knocknaheeny, and everyone I knew listened to Will Smith, Scooter, all dance music and what not. And I hated it. I knew of bands like the Cure, Metallica and so on from my mother, but nothing which had really grabbed me.

But one day I was watching MTV on our old Chorus Black Box. A video comes on, and I was instantly enthralled by the opening.

A fantastic bass tone was playing, and then a man screamed "ARE YOU READY!!".
    On that day I discovered Korn "Blind" and was instantly a fan of them and metal, and have been ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Fascinating, the word flame was in existence way back in 89. The discussions seemed to rich and articulate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭dasdog

I never heard this bit of trivia before

Dec 17 1989, 11:25 pm

3. AND, what is the song "Master of Puppets" really about...?
    (and NO, it's not Cocaine - fooled ya! thought this one was gonna
    be easy huh?)

ANSWER: According to Kirk Hammet the song Master of Puppets is
    about.... Herion Addiction. Back when Kirk was a member
    of Exodus he was a heavy Herion user. But, thanks to
    Kirk's will power he quit Herion, quit Exodus, and
    became part of Metallica. With James' help they sat
    down and wrote a song to rid Kirk's conscience of the
    matter. Thus, we got Master of Puppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

dasdog wrote: »
    I never heard this bit of trivia before

Dec 17 1989, 11:25 pm

3. AND, what is the song "Master of Puppets" really about...?
    (and NO, it's not Cocaine - fooled ya! thought this one was gonna
    be easy huh?)

ANSWER: According to Kirk Hammet the song Master of Puppets is
    about.... Herion Addiction. Back when Kirk was a member
    of Exodus he was a heavy Herion user. But, thanks to
    Kirk's will power he quit Herion, quit Exodus, and
    became part of Metallica. With James' help they sat
    down and wrote a song to rid Kirk's conscience of the
    matter. Thus, we got Master of Puppets.

I always took it as drugs in general. Many associate the song with Cocaine due to the line "Chop your breakfast on a mirror" but there's references to 'needlework' and 'veins that pump with fear'.

Funny reading through some of them threads. Some things never change and people still moan about the same things. Interesting to see GN'R getting bashed for accepting a "Best Heavy Metal Award" gong in 1990. At that stage they were still "The Most Dangerous Band In The World" and hadn't hit the self destruction button but yet were already getting flamed for a perceived move away from their street roots!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

dasdog wrote: »
    According to Kirk Hammet the song Master of Puppets is
    about.... Herion Addiction.
    I misread that and though it was Therion addiction :).

• Advertisement
Advertisement