Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling in Cork

Options
  • 02-09-2011 9:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I need to get from Cork train station to the business park beside the Airport. What's the Airport Road like for cycling on? Is it safe enough or is it pretty hairy?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

I cycled from the train station to Kinsale last year. The only section which caused me any great concern was negotiating the Kinsale Road roundabout. After that it's a fairly straight but busy road with a long uphill drag to the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

penexpers wrote: »
    Hey,

I need to get from Cork train station to the business park beside the Airport. What's the Airport Road like for cycling on? Is it safe enough or is it pretty hairy?

Thanks!

The airport road has a bike lane.

The bottom half is on the footpath and is crap, but it's fine after the traffic lights.

See how fast you can do it, the record is a frankly unbelievable 4:13.

http://app.strava.com/segments/638157

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I doubt I'll be breaking any records on my Brompton ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

As was said the Airport Road itself is grand but the South Link Rd leading out of town is doggy enough - one place has no hard shoulder with two lanes of fast moving traffic (100km Limit).
    The the lead up to and the Kinsale roundabout itself is also a nightmare (for cyclists) coming from town with 4 lanes of traffic whizzing about you trying to make the lights. If your used to cycling on roads like this you'll be fine, wouldn't do it myself tho. I 'd take a detour.

KinsaleRoad.jpg

You'd be coming from the top right exit and taking your third exit up Airport Rd.

Try something like this

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/688428

If you come from the old Kinsale Road, there's traffic lights which will allow you get across the roundabout. I would agree with the post above re the South Link, it's just not a nice way to get out of the city.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Pat Kavanagh

The Kinsale road roundabout is a nightmare not just for cyclist - I can't imagine how anyone who isn't familiar with it could negotiate it. But the rest of your route is fine - I'd walk etc while getting across the roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭cantalach

http://app.strava.com/segments/638157

Thanks :) Just so we're clear though, the Strava segment isn't from the KRR to the top. It's from the lights at the Bull McCabe pub. I didn't see any point in defining the segment from the KRR because more often than not you get stopped at the lights anyway. And perhaps more to the point, when I do hill reps, I just do the bit from the pub to the top.

cantalach wrote: »
    Thanks :) Just so we're clear though, the Strava segment isn't from the KRR to the top. It's from the lights at the Bull McCabe pub. I didn't see any point in defining the segment from the KRR because more often than not you get stopped at the lights anyway. And perhaps more to the point, when I do hill reps, I just do the bit from the pub to the top.

That's you? You're.....HIM...? :eek: ;)

Like I said, it's an incredible time. I'm not sure I hit your average speed at any time on that stretch!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭sonnyblack

Saw this thread and thought I'd try to stretch the point. I'm thinking of cycling from the Kilmoney Rd in Carrigaline to Cork via airport hill. I can go down Captains boreen and onto the Ballygarvan rd then after a while turn right and cycle all the way up to the airport roundabout. Then down the airport hill and onto the City link into town. Same route home.

Has anyone taken this route? I know some parts are narrow but has anyone used this route? Is it the best way to go or too dangerous?

Any help appreciated.

sonnyblack wrote: »
    Saw this thread and thought I'd try to stretch the point. I'm thinking of cycling from the Kilmoney Rd in Carrigaline to Cork [...]

Why wouldn't you just go Shannon Park r/a, Carr's Hill, Douglas?

• Advertisement

cantalach wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you just go Shannon Park r/a, Carr's Hill, Douglas?

I thought there would be too much traffic on that route

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I've cycled it a few times. It seemed a bit hairy to me but it's the only road of it's kind I've cycled. Once past the dual carriage way it's grand. And there's plenty of overtaking space most of the way. It's a deceptive hill though, especially if you've only driven it. I'd say you'd be grand on it.

Ah there is a lot of traffic alright but I don't think it's unsafe. Just as much if not more on the Airport Hill. Plus there's a climbing lane all the way up Carr's Hill.

Thanks to all for feedback. I've a new plan. I'm going to drive to Passage West, park the car and cycle all the way into Blackrock on the existing Greenway. I just wouldn't feel comfortable cycling up Carrs Hill. That would still be about a 16mile round trip by the time I cross over into town so that's a good spin for the untrained like me.

Interestingily enough there are plans to to extend this greenway from Passage all the way to Carrigaline following the line of the old railway. See pdf below.

http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/pdf/786689042.pdf

This would link in with the existing Carrigaline / Crosshaven greenway. Don't know about the timing and when it might start but it would be a fantastic amenity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Thanks to all for feedback. I've a new plan. I'm going to drive to Passage West, park the car and cycle all the way into Blackrock on the existing Greenway. I just wouldn't feel comfortable cycling up Carrs Hill. That would still be about a 16mile round trip by the time I cross over into town so that's a good spin for the untrained like me.

Interestingily enough there are plans to to extend this greenway from Passage all the way to Carrigaline following the line of the old railway. See pdf below.

http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/pdf/786689042.pdf

This would link in with the existing Carrigaline / Crosshaven greenway. Don't know about the timing and when it might start but it would be a fantastic amenity

Just follow harbour the whole way in i.e. carriagline, rafeen, passage, rochestown, blackrock, town?

You don't have to go up Carr's hill; grange hill and Maryborough are also options.

Carr's hill to my mind is how not to build a safe road; two climbing lanes on either side funnelled into single lane at top where there is a junction, concealed entrances, co co facility, and narrow lanes,

ford2600 wrote: »
    Just follow harbour the whole way in i.e. carriagline, rafeen, passage, rochestown, blackrock, town?

You don't have to go up Carr's hill; grange hill and Maryborough are also options.

Carr's hill to my mind is how not to build a safe road; two climbing lanes on either side funnelled into single lane at top where there is a junction, concealed entrances, co co facility, and narrow lanes,

That sounds like a plan. I'll see how I get on for the first week cycling from passage and then use your suggested route if I'm able for it after that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Thinking of cycling Ardcullen Hollyhill to cork airport business park

Kind of stumped as to how I would navigate the kinsale road roundabout .

Any tips ?

I’m thinking of coming down airport hill through the lights and go into the bus lane and into the left lane and exist out kinsale road (pass wedding scribblers/Harvey Norman etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

wally1990 wrote: »

Any tips ?

I’m thinking of coming down airport hill through the lights and go into the bus lane and into the left lane and exist out kinsale road (pass wedding scribblers/Harvey Norman etc ?

Then dont do Airport Hill. :-)

Go up Forge Hill instead (where Dwyers Elec / Cork Ford garage are). Traffic lights at top of road come out onto Bull McCabes.

Or if you do want to go up Airport Hill, go via Turners Cross, past Harvey Normans. You should be able to walk across the roundabout from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

wally1990 wrote: »

Any tips ?

Very easy to completely avoid kinsale round about. Cross the south link at pouladuff Road and then up forge hill

Advertisement