Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Longford?

Options
  • 06-03-2011 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi.

Does anybody know decent internet in Ardagh, Co. Longford?
    also, i live 3 miles from edgeworthstown, and theres very good broadband there (my standards are low) but the dsl line ends 100m up the road. anybody know of wireless there? not satelite, ive heard its crap.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

Using their own coverage availability feature on there websites which are pretty crap if they're reading this, Digiweb and Wiimax wireless don't seem to be available. Bonkers.ie say they are:rolleyes:.Giving them a ring is the only way to find out for sure. Digiweb get good reviews.

Watch out for installation fees.

Without a phone line or the above your limited to O2.ie or Three.ie.
    O2 have a 15GB allowance for €20 per month.
    Three have a €30Gb allowance for €26.24 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 powellx234

I have a phone line but its not eircom, its gaelic telecom. And is bonkers.ie any good?

Bringing this Thread back to life. I still havent god decent internet.

I'll shine some more light on it.

I like to play GT5 on PS3 regularly. I'm not mad about all that gaming crap so I don't need brilliant broadband. I want something that will stop it from jumping/lagging. I'm currently with o2 but am only getting about 0.5mb download during the day, and that isn't near good enough to play with more that 2-3 people. There might be fixed broadband around Ardagh, but I, as every person around here, (as far as I know) but its just not good enough speeds to support a PS3. I would say, not certain, that 3mb would be good enough, but not under that.

For anybody that has an Xbox or PS3 or anything alike, would know what I'm talking about.

If anybody finds something or knows something, please let me know because I'm pretty desperate for decent broadband, And I will definately appreciate it. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Depending on your topography and line of site etc you could get a good cable or DSL connection say at a friends house in the nearest town with broadband and then send it back to yourself using a point to point wireless antenna link. It would cost a nice little bit to set up depending on the distance circa (€400 - €700) at a rough guess and you'd still have to maintain a telephone line at your friends house for example and pay for your broadband there.

If you want to game and can't get a proper DSL, Cable or Wireless connection then it would be about your only choice as any sort of gaming on Mobile Dongles or Satellite will be a disaster wheras on a wireless P2P it would be the same as if you were connected to the internet at your mates only you'd have extended it back to yourself several miles away wirelessly.

thanks for your help!
    If I get internet from a friends house, wouldnt it slow the ping and speed somewhat? (not talking about the sharing thing, speed split in 2)

I probably couldnt do that anyway as around Longford the internet wouldnt be brilliant as in no 20meg.

Is there any way I could get the ISP to speed up the broadband? I rang before and I said 0.7 meg and they said I'm only promised 0.5meg on the contract.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

powellx234 wrote: »
    thanks for your help!
    If I get internet from a friends house, wouldnt it slow the ping and speed somewhat? (not talking about the sharing thing, speed split in 2)

I probably couldnt do that anyway as around Longford the internet wouldnt be brilliant as in no 20meg.

Is there any way I could get the ISP to speed up the broadband? I rang before and I said 0.7 meg and they said I'm only promised 0.5meg on the contract.

If you were to send the internet wirelessly from a friends house to yourself there should be no drop in speed and maybe only 3ms of reduction in the ping and for all intensive purposes it would be the same as you were connected to the Modem there at your friends house. However if you were sharing then this would all depend on your friends usage similar to running two laptops off a modem and one running torrents can ruin the connection for the other guys etc.

The ISP's won't increase the speed beyond what is currently available and its sounds like your on an exchange that was enabled earlier which means 7mb is probably the max speed available if the line is good enough whereas the exchanges that were enabled in lae 2009-2010 are nearly all 24mb capable.

Yeah the max is 7mb here. But I was promised 0.5 mb, I could say something like 0.2? On mobile broadband I know they can adjust the speed...

Edit: better than usual...

1452058676.png

bump..

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

Hi, digging up an old thread, but I couldn't see anything fresher.

Has anyone any experience of Noone TV services in Ardagh providing Broadband? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭nagel

can you see ardagh mountain from your house, can you see the masts, you have the mobile operators Vodafone and three with 4g masts there

also Imagine ,Premier broadband and Ripplecom have service from there, vodafone and three will give you a 14 day trial , Im not sure about vodafone but with Three you need to sign up on line to avail of the free trial , have a look on boards treads regarding these operators.

• Advertisement
Advertisement