Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Cost of TTC

• 24-08-2011 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, I am in my late 20's and have been not not trying for a baby for the last 5 years. I did go to the doctor and get the bloods done about 3 years ago and they came back fine so she gave me a referral letter for the HARI clinic. When I got the appointment, there was a paragraph of all these costs for test etc saying that on the day we should have about 600E with us at the least. As I was a student at the time we just didn't have the money for that or for whatever else it could cost so just left it at that. However nothing has happened for us since and I feel that time is slipping away from us, so we really need to do something about it.

I have finished my college course now but am in a very low paid job. My partner is on DA for the forseeable future.

If anyone could give me an rough idea of the cost of the process'invovled I would really appreciate it as we don't want to start down this road and find out halfway through that we can't afford it.

Thanks alot.

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I can only tell you what I paid in Galway, for investigatory tests:
    you will need your GP's nurse to draw blood on days between 3-7 and again on days 21-28 of your cycle, about a month or so prior to your appointment so add whatever the cost of those two would cost you. Add in one blood draw for your partner. These are tested prior to your consult for a variety of infections -syphills,hiv, rubella, etc and your hormone levels are also tested with this. (you will need to see the gp at least once to get the referral to fertility clinic) So,

Cost of 1 GP visit
    Cost of 2 nurse visits
    I paid 200 for the couple consult in the FC, and an hour before we did the semen analysis for another 100.
    You will also need an up to date smear test.

Remember to keep all GP and clinic reciepts - you can claim 20% tax back at the end of the year on all medical bills. Not much, but its something.

After that, they will refer you if needed for other things - eg. I had a HSG xray which I think cost me 200 euro, But you can find out before you commit to treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I thought the HARI clinic provided IVF for free for those on a Medical Card...? Maybe check with them again and ask.

Thanks for that, its very helpful. We are in Dublin so it would probably be a little more expensive or is it the same prices across the board?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Fri.Day

I`ve a list of procedures and their indivdual prices at home - ill root it out later and post here.
    For all the clinics nationwide.

That would be really great, thanks Fri.day. I dont have a medical card so maybe I should look into that aswell. Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Clane Fertility Clinic
    Abbeylands,
    Clane,
    Co. Kildare
    045 989500
    www.clanefertility.ie
    Initial consultation........€180
    Semen analysis............€150
    Ovulation Induction(per scan)...€110
    (€300 max charge per cycle)
    IUI............................€950
    IVF...........................€4160
    (extra €400 charge with donor sperm)
    IVF with ICSI..............€4960
    FET...........................€1300
    Initial embryo freezing including storage for calendar year €850, €300 for storage thereafter.
    Testicular biopsy/TESE embryology fees including one year storage fee €1050

Cork Fertility Clinic
    Fernhurst House,
    College road,
    Cork
    021 4624406
    www.corkfertilitycentre.com
    Initial consultation........€200
    (inc assessment and ultrasound scan)
    Semen analysis............€145
    Ovulation Induction......€200
    (per scan)...€100
    IUI..........................€650
    IVF..........................€3750
    ICSI......................€4250
    FET......................€900
    Egg Donation ...........€6500-8000
    Testicular Biopsy.......€650
    Embryo Crypreservation(inc 1yr storage).....€750
    Semen cryopreservation(inc 1yr storage)....€350

Galway Fertility Unit
    Brooklawn House
    Galway west business park
    Western Distributor Rd
    Rahoon
    Galway
    www.galwayfertilityunit.ie
    Initial consult................€200
    Semen analysis..............€100
    *Ovulation Induction......€300
    *Artificial insemination........€300
    *IUI..................................€600
    (€1000 with donor sperm)
    *IVF......................€4500 cycle cost
    *ISCI.........................€4800
    FET...........................€1200
    Testicular biopsy/TESE.........€500
    (excl cryopreservation)
    Embryo cryopreservation......€800
    Annual cryopreservation....€300

*Reduced rates apply where both partners possess current medical cards(GP Visit medical cards not accepted).
    The rate is two thirds the normal cost. The Unit does not get any support for this reduced cost.
    In the event of a cancellation of a cycle, different charges apply to the next cycle, depending on what point in the cycle the cancellation took place.

NaProTECHNOLOGY
    Medical Centre,
    Suite 11,
    The Galway Clinic,
    Doughiska,
    Co. Galway
    www.fertilitycare.net
    >
    (MARRIED COUPLES ONLY)
    >
    Initial consult.......€220
    (€200 for reviews)
    On aveage couples spend €1000 over 18 months to complete treatment.

Human Assisted Reproduction Ireland (HARI Unit)
    Rotunda Hospital,
    Dublin 1
    01 8072732
    www.hari.ie
    Semen analysis....€100
    IVF/ICSI(excl embryo freezing) €4400
    IVF/ICSI(incl embryo freezing) €4700
    Frozen embryo transfer stimulated cycle.... €900
    Frozen embryo transfer naturak cycle... €900
    Frozen embryo transfer Blastocyst cycle ...€1350
    Blastocyst culturing...€900
    Semen freezing (non-cancer)....€400
    TESE/Testicular biopsy.......€900
    Annual Embryo storage fees
    1st and 2nd year......€300
    3rd and 4th year........€600
    5th year onwards......€900
    IVF/ICSI cycle change to IUI €1400
    Follicle tracking ....€100 per scan
    IUI on FT cycle.....€400
    EU viral screen per person....€125

• Advertisement

The Kilkenny Clinic Ltd,
    Greenshill,
    Kilkenny.
    056 7751420
    www.thekilkennyclinic.com
    Initial consult....€200
    (review €150)
    IVF.................€4150
    (incl all cycle scans from baseline)
    IVF/ICSI...........€4950
    (inc all scans from baseline)
    IUI..............€100
    Initial embryo freezing and storage for a year.....€650
    Annual storage thereafter €300
    Testicular biopsy..............€1200
    Egg Donation programme....€9000

Merrion Fertility Clinic
    60 Lower Mount St.
    Dublin 2
    01 6635000
    www.merrionfertility.ie
    Initial consult......€160
    Initial semen analysis......€140
    IVF.......€4100
    ICSI.......€4700
    FET cycle...........€1100
    IUI Natural cycle or Clomid......€520
    Embryo freezing(1st yr storage).....€600
    Sperm freezing (up to 3 per yr).....€350
    Annual sperm storage....€250
    Annual embryo storage......€300

SIMS CLINIC
    Rosemount Hall,
    Dundrum rd,
    Dublin 14
    01 2993920
    www.sims.ie
    Initial consult....€160
    Semen analysis....€125
    IVF...€4400 (donor sperm€)
    ICSI....€4650 (Donor sperm €4900)
    IVF with egg donation...€8820
    ICSI with egg donation....€9145
    Deposit IVF/ICSI cycle.....€1200
    non-refundable
    IUI husband/partner/donor...€850
    European donor egg programme....€12,000
    Egg sharing programme(donor)...€2200
    Egg sharing programm (recipient)....€6600
    Embryo thaw and transfer...€1155
    Embryo storage....€1000

There ye go.....;)

Thanks so much, that is really helpful, treatments don't seem as expensive as I thought but I suppose they would add up very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

for our first visit to HARI it cost €200 consultation. This included a scan and a blood test. I did have to pay an extra €6 for the injection I was given at the hospital pharmacy!
    A week later we then had semen analysis done - €100 (I think, or maybe €120)
    I had a further blood test at €50

So for a start off first visit I would say you need €300 on hand for the consulation and bloods.
    Initial testing for everything should come in under €400, but you don't have to have all that on the one day, you can spread it out over a few weeks.
    From then you can discuss your options and the cost implications with your consultant.

I have not found the HARI unit to be money grabbing at all. I have had 2 scans I didn't pay for, because they were so close together (unexpectedly).

I have found them very supportive and reassuring.

Fertility treatment is not cheap by any means. But as far as initial testing goes, I think it was definitely worth the couple of hundred we spent to assess our situation.

Thanks alot for that. We have started to put money away every week so hopefully will attend the clinic soon. Or in my dreams we won't need to and its a nest egg for out little baby someday:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭longinforababy

HSG in Cork Fertility Clinics cost €450!

(sorry its my first post, cant remember my old username but first time in ttc section on here.)

IUI is €650

Good luck with your journey!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Fri.Day wrote: »
    The Kilkenny Clinic Ltd,
    Greenshill,
    Kilkenny.
    056 7751420
    www.thekilkennyclinic.com
    Initial consult....€200
    (review €150)
    IVF.................€4150
    (incl all cycle scans from baseline)
    IVF/ICSI...........€4950
    (inc all scans from baseline)
    IUI..............€100
    Initial embryo freezing and storage for a year.....€650
    Annual storage thereafter €300
    Testicular biopsy..............€1200
    Egg Donation programme....€9000

Where did you get these prices from?
    The IUI is €1000 afaik

Also OP these prices are guides. say ivf is €4950.....this may not include all the bloodtests and everything else so if you are going somewhere get them to cost it all properly for you or it can give you a shock

missed a zero ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

missed a zero ;)

Ah good......you gave me a scare;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ms hopeful

Clane Fertility Clinic
    Abbeylands,
    Clane,
    Co. Kildare
    045 989500
    www.clanefertility.ie
    Initial consultation........€180
    Semen analysis............€150
    Ovulation Induction(per scan)...€110
    (€300 max charge per cycle)
    IUI............................€950
    IVF...........................€4160
    IVF with ICSI..............€4960
    FET...........................€1300
    Initial embryo freezing including storage for calendar year €850, €300 for storage thereafter.
    Testicular biopsy/TESE embryology fees including one year storage fee €1050

Hi there,
    Have you had any experience with ICSI.? It has just been recommended to us as both myself & my partner have fertility problems. We've been told to hurry up!! We are contemplating Clane but haven't had a consultation with them yet... Your post was very helpful with all the costs broken down. I better start earning some more money :)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

I attended the Public department of the Rotunda hospital and had all the investigations/tests as a public patient so paid nothing. When we realised it had to be IVF we did end up going to the HARI unit and paying but it did save a lot at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tanyateacup

Hi I am new to bords so please bear with me, myself and partner have just today been told we need to go to the hari unit we are public patients and both hold medical cards we are being referred due to my dh infertility I have had all tests done and everything is fine with me we are being referred for icis how much does this cost and can medical card cover some of the expences thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 graciehall

Hi I am new to bords so please bear with me, myself and partner have just today been told we need to go to the hari unit we are public patients and both hold medical cards we are being referred due to my dh infertility I have had all tests done and everything is fine with me we are being referred for icis how much does this cost and can medical card cover some of the expences thanks

Hey me and my partner have just been refereed to hari with both having medical cards. I called them to find out what is the cost for medical card holders if for instance we needed ivf or icis, she then told me that if both of us hold medical cards if for example ivf/icis is needed the cost is for private people be 4750 but once both you and your partner meet certain criteria example be of good health hold medical cards you get a 4400 reduced fee so just pay balance of 350euro, this is not government funded this is just something hari do but there is a 9 to 12 months waiting list :( Hope this help and good luck x

We have just had IUI with Clane unsuccessful I'm afraid but hopefully trying IVF now there are a lot of extra costs so when they say treatment is X amount they shud also tell you bout all the extra costs blood tests etc but I do like them very helpful nurses and make u feel comfortable I would reccomend them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭justaskin likeyakno

Hi,

We have absolutely no budget for private infertility treatment but my GP has done any of the tests I needed, ie, day 5 and 21 bloods.

We got referred publicly for Semen Analysis, and while they picked up low morphology, they didn't pick up another important issue.

We paid E150 in The KK Clinic and they did another SA test and helped get results and treatment, ( a simple course of the correct meds) for my DH.

My advice to you is don't wait. Get each test done as you can afford it. Keep a hard copy of all results and tests done and bring that to all appointments and correspondence.

There are so many things effecting fertility and sometimes it's just something small that needs to be changed.

Your GP can do a lot to help and I would look around for a good one as they are your first port of call and need to be on their game. Ours wasn't and it cost us time we didn't have.

A good GP for fertility issues is a must and will get you a lot without having to go to a private clinic.

Good Luck OP,

You have loads of time, use it wisely, we didn't!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gleesoneoin

A new walk in centre in cork http://www.fertilitycheck.ie/ ...so you don't need GP referral or sometimes unnessessary blood tests previously

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

A new walk in centre in cork http://www.fertilitycheck.ie/ ...so you don't need GP referral or sometimes unnessessary blood tests previously

Thats for testing fertility, not actual procedures such as IUI, IVF, ISCI etc. In order to avail of procedures you would need to be referred either by these guys if they have that capability or by your GP anyway. And considering most fertility clinics insist on repeating bloodwork using (and paying for) their own labs, it seems like an unnecessary and pricey step.

For instance, their AMH blood test costs €180 and their MCP1 blood test costs €100, when the practice nurse did them in my GP's surgery for €30 for both. A saving of €250.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Roustabout

I don't have a medical card or private health insurance. Between semen analysis and initial bloods, cost was around €200. Referred to HARI, so initial consultation and one blood test cost €250. Consultant recommended I have a lap & dye, hysteroscopy and D&C. As I don't have private health insurance, this is going to cost me €2200-€2500. I don't know what the next steps will be after that if those procedures prove unsuccessful. Don't want to stress about it yet! TBH it wasn't a cost I had expected but I suppose it's money well spent if it solves this unexplained infertility.
    Just thought I'd let you know, as it may be a step that's required for some people. Perhaps there's a public option but if it takes anything like the time it takes to get an initial public consultation, it's gonna be well over a year. I just don't have that time to be honest!

Advertisement