Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can mods read private messages/personal details?

Options
  • 19-08-2011 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Obviously for illegal activity, it may be allowed following a court order, but can a typical mod/cmod view personal details such as email, pm's etc? I take it mods could potentially abuse any provided information, given the fact that the password hash is the only non plaintext field pertaining to a given user.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,101 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

No, mods don't see IP's, email, passwords or the like, not even hashes of them.

PM's can only be accessed with a bit of effort by the devs, and that's not trivially done so serious grounds need to exist. This understandably isn't the case for a PM that've been reported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭locked_out

Spear wrote: »
    No, mods don't see IP's, email, passwords or the like, not even hashes of them.

PM's can only be accessed with a bit of effort by the devs, and that's not trivially done so serious grounds need to exist. This understandably isn't the case for a PM that've been reported.

Ah ok, it's just I have noticed mods can work out if you use a duplicate accounts. While mods/cmods may be able to work out a poster is using a dupe account the ability to salvage specific personal info such as the users email address pm's and the like is only done under very specific circumstances, correct? I respect the privacy of others as an absolute, barring severe criminal activity etc, I would hope the vast majority of mods agree with me.

Thanks for the info Spear:pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,101 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

locked_out wrote: »
    Ah ok, it's just I have noticed mods can work out if you use a duplicate accounts. While mods/cmods may be able to work out a poster is using a dupe account the ability to salvage specific personal info such as the users email address pm's and the like is only done under very specific circumstances, correct? I respect the privacy of others as an absolute, barring severe criminal activity etc, I would hope the vast majority of mods agree with me.

Thanks for the info Spear:pac:

To make it clear, mods/cmods never get these details at all even in cases of criminal activity. Only admins would ever have access to personal details, and they don't pass them on. Boards.ie also never gives out personal info without a court order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭locked_out

Spear wrote: »
    To make it clear, mods/cmods never get these details at all even in cases of criminal activity. Only admins would ever have access to personal details, and they don't pass them on. Boards.ie also never gives out personal info without a court order.

Thanks gain Spear. Makes sense. Just a ramblind thought of mine. I am aware Boards.ie has to take privacy very seriously.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Even Admins dont have access to PMs (unless someone forwards a PM they received to complain about it, obviously).

*Dav* doesnt have access to PM's.

I dont even have access to PM's and I'm a director.

Ross and Conor could query the database directly and access PM's but firstly, they are busy people and just arent interested (:)) and secondly its been made clear to all in the office that doing so would most likely end their employment.

No interface or set of screens or forms even exist for anyone else to access them so its not even a case of "not having the right permissions".

Just backing up what Spear said above, short of a court order we just dont access them.

DeV.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement