Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sniff sniff

Options
  • 15-08-2011 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭

Seems like the sniffing craze has caught on. On a whim at the airport on Friday I bought the latest copy of Edge and had to laugh when I read this on the letters page.

See the attached scan I made from the magazine. Oh and for the record, no I didn't write the letter!

twqir.png
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Proof at last that you're not crazy.....................Or are you???:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

pdbhp wrote: »
    Proof at last that you're not crazy.....................Or are you???:D

Who knows?!

.........................................................*sniff sniff*

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Hahahaha! That's hilarious :D

The only proof here is that there are more smell fetish nutters out there than we originally thought.

I worry for humanity.

/sniff sniff

wait....that was tears! I swear!

Chopping onions !!

....the tears..........................of investment!

*sniff sniff* :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I do love that new game smell. Damn! They should make car air fresheners with that smell!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

The new plastic smell you'd get from a new console was always great.
    tbh though the downside of retro collecting is that things can be a bit whiffy
    I've a box of Atari disks that smells distinctly musty
    I've a copy of 'buster douglas KO boxing 'on the meg that, on opening smells of deodorants, dust and old spice , basically what my room would have smelled of when I was a teenager;) I only picked the game up a few months back though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just because there are others that get "anxious" when cracking open a new video game case for the olfactory buzz they get doesn't preclude them from being a couple of toffees short of a packet.
    In fact it just reinforces the opinion that what we are dealing with is the first signs of an identifiable condition.
    Time to think of treatment I reckon.

If we go down the negative reinforcement route we attach thin electrodes to the inside of a box-fresh Jap copy of Sonic, when the sufferer attempts to take a sniff, ZAP!, and the person, over 50 or 60 treatments actually ceases to find the prospect pleasurable any more.

If we go down the desensitisation route we leave the individual no games and instruction manuals except those found in charity shops, imbued with the essence of dead old ladies, lavender and wee.
    After a week or two the person should, once again, find the prospect of inhaling the fragrances contained within a game box less enticing a prospect than before.

There are other treatments but they invariably consist of the following items,
    Crocodile clips,
    Heavy duty cable,
    A Car Battery,
    Conductive Gel,
    An Anatomical Diagram of the Male Genitalia.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Did EDGE change?

I stopped reading them once I realised that retroGAMER is the only fun magazine around.

I only bought it on a whim, haven't read EDGE in years before that. Not likely to start reading it regularly now either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yup, Edge did a massive redesign.
    So, depending on your point of view it is either,
    a- The most mature and informed magazine concerning videogames

or

b- The most pretentious, up it's own bung-hole mag in the universe

I fall into category "a" in this case, and I think I might be alone...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Did EDGE change?

I stopped reading them once I realised that retroGAMER is the only fun magazine around.

Retrogamer magazine is still the only one worth buying. Edge definitely haven't changed.

Retro Gamer is still far cheaper on the iPad than in store too. EDGE is just as pricey in either format.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Retro Gamer is still far cheaper on the iPad than in store too. EDGE is just as pricey in either format.

Yeah but you don't get that new magazine smell :D

Yeah but you don't get that new magazine smell :D

Haven't smelled an iPad yet?:P

If it smells anything like other iProducts then they smell very nice indeed! But only when new.

True but it's only €17.99 for 6 issues on the iPad and the entire national debt of Zimbabwe for a print copy at Easons.

...oh and here's a cheeky tip for you all.

If anyone reads 2600 quarterly and doesn't like paying €970,000 per copy for what looks like a pamphlet for help with colitis you'd find dumped under the vinegar bottles at your local chipper, subscribe to the digital Kindle edition at Amazon UK.

Only 99p a copy!

Umm, just click this link...

http://www.rdearnley.supanet.com/

Advertisement